AutoShrine Sponsor
AutoShrine Sponsor
AutoShrine Sponsor
AutoShrine Sponsor

78mgb White Wonder 78mgb
apple valley, MN, USA   USA
1978 MG MGB
I do the following to awake my 78 MGB, since you have 71 set the choke on.:
1. Remove spark plugs and spray a small amount into cylinder. Just hit the spray nozzle and release immediately. Replace spark plugs I do it one at a time in order to make
sure that the spark plug wires are correct.
2. Turn on the ignition and wait till the fuel pump stops.
3. Turn the ignition until the starter runs. It should start immediately.
4. Give it a little gas and wait till it warms up a little before trying to move the car,

. Hide this ad & support a small business by becoming a Gold Supporting Member
Was this post helpful or interesting?
Yes No Thank
melbaver Avatar
melbaver Gold Member Chris Howells
Carrington, NSW, Australia   AUS
1968 MG MGB "Moneypit"
2012 Dodge Journey "Another Shopping Trolley"
In reply to # 3907235 by little G I remember having to use Aerostart , the same as this shit to start a tractor occasionally...it became addicted to it basically...it eventually wouldn't start at all without it ...if I had to use this crap to start a motor as simplistic as a B then I would be looking at other areas that have an issue that is creating the problem ..
I believe it's only place is in the boot for in the event that it is needed on the side of the road at night or the like and hope it works to get you home .....to properly analyse the issues ....if you are at home now and using this stuff then you are barking up the wrong tree !

Can confirm this. Aerostart was the recommendation of choice on the farm, whether it was one of the tractors or Quad Bike or Sprayer motor the engine becomes absolutely addicted, a total junkie. I started stripping carbies down and cleaning injectors to ensure proper, not temporary fixes.

Chris Howells

1968 MGB Purchased already dis-assembled but which is largely back together so I'm a lot less ignorant.

Yes No Thank
78mgb White Wonder 78mgb
apple valley, MN, USA   USA
1978 MG MGB
In reply to # 3907753 by melbaver
In reply to # 3907235 by little G I remember having to use Aerostart , the same as this shit to start a tractor occasionally...it became addicted to it basically...it eventually wouldn't start at all without it ...if I had to use this crap to start a motor as simplistic as a B then I would be looking at other areas that have an issue that is creating the problem ..
I believe it's only place is in the boot for in the event that it is needed on the side of the road at night or the like and hope it works to get you home .....to properly analyse the issues ....if you are at home now and using this stuff then you are barking up the wrong tree !

Can confirm this. Aerostart was the recommendation of choice on the farm, whether it was one of the tractors or Quad Bike or Sprayer motor the engine becomes absolutely addicted, a total junkie. I started stripping carbies down and cleaning injectors to ensure proper, not temporary fixes.

The car is stored each winter and I use the engine spray only once each year after the car has been sitting for several months. I do not see how an engine can become addicted to ether but maybe your cars are that way.

Yes No Thank
Fairfield, CA, USA   USA
In my experience, over 50 years with "these cars", if you can get enough choke on an SU it will start if it would have started nicely on a summers day. If it won't, continued grinding will take you nowhere...STOP IT. There's something wrong. Now, if the temp is 20° below, don't even think about it. Take the bus or whatever.

Using "starter" spray only richens the initial mixture, which the choke should do. And if it can't, there's something that needs to be fixed.

50+ years ago I had a series of Morris Minors while I lived in upstate NY, Troy as it were. In the winter I would use the included engine crank to roll the engine over a couple of times, then yank the choke out as far as I could, and crank and the SOB would light every time, even at below zero.

I have no idea how I had managed d to adjust the carbs so well<G>

1973 Pale Primrose Roadster. A nice 10-footer!
SUs, Datsun 5-speed

Yes No Thank
mdmaddux Mike Maddux
Hawi, Hawaii, USA   USA
1969 MG MGB "The Grey Ghost"
I never use this stuff. These sprays will strip the cylinder wall of lubrication and can dilute your crankcase oils.
Too much can be too much. In tune the engine will always start.
And if it is really cold, use a dipstick heater or a heating blanket to lower the oil viscosity.
And summer is really what it's all about anyway.

Can't wait to get back on the road with the top down...

+1 Yes No Thank
ohlord Avatar
ohlord Gold Member Rob C
North of Seattle, N.W., USA   USA
1957 Land Rover Series I "EYEYIYI"
1971 MG MGB
1971 MG MGB "Bedouin 2"
However don't use starting fluid on a stock engine stock ZS carb rubber bumper variety MGB.
EVER.

In reply to # 3907776 by 78mgb
In reply to # 3907753 by melbaver

The car is stored each winter and I use the engine spray only once each year after the car has been sitting for several months. I do not see how an engine can become addicted to ether but maybe your cars are that way.

"I'm a long way gone down this wild road I'm on
It's gonna take me where I'm bound
It's a long way around"

"These are the days that must happen to you"

RD2 Radar/ Electronic Warfare Technician
Vietnam 1969-1972

+1 Yes No Thank

To add your reply, or post your own questions

Registration is FREE and takes less than a minute!

Having trouble posting or changing forum settings?
Read the Forum Help (FAQ) or contact the webmaster