AutoShrine Sponsor

starter solenoid
  This topic is about my 1966 MG MGB MkI
MGB567 Avatar
MGB567 Gold Member Barrie Braxton
Sunshine Coast, Queensland, Australia   AUS
1966 MG MGB MkI "Money Guzzler"
1979 MG MGB GT V8 Conversion "Darkside"
I'm pretty sure my solenoid has carked it with < 200 starts. I prefer the style below so has anyone found one that will last?

Convertible: CKD 11/66 first registered 8/5/67. Owned since 3/77. 90% original sheet metal. 18GB +40 balanced with almost all new internals. Peter Burgess big valve fast road head. Piper 285. Fidanza FW. Basil's followers and pushrods. TR7clutch. TT exhaust. ARP everywhere. 123 ign. Needham 4synchro c/r box.. Stock rebuilt/replaced suspension. Superpro bushes. New brakes all round including all pipes in SS flex. Interior redone. CAMS approved roll bar and side bars. Lots more. Hybrid of o/e and show/fast road car. Not for sale - it's my toy!

GT: UK car built/sold December '78. Stripped back to bare shell with VW Golf flared guards, flush fit front and rear valances with front guards immovable. Front and rear seams removed,Torana XU1 vents, frenched indicators front & Mk1 rear lights. Powered by 'worked' Rover 5 litre V8 (ex TVR Chimaera) with efi. T5 box. FC IFS. CCE rear attached to Salisbury axle with Quaife. All new interior with MrMikes covers on MX5 seats. Retro4 7x15 rims (zero offset) and 205/55 rubber. Colour: Jaguar Storm. Not for sale - it's my sanity!

. Hide banner ads & support this website by becoming a > Gold Supporting Member <

Attachments:
solenoid1.jpg    14.9 KB
solenoid1.jpg

ohlord Avatar
ohlord Gold Member Rob C
North of Seattle, N.W., USA   USA
1957 Land Rover Series I "EYEYIYI"
1971 MG MGB
1971 MG MGB "Bedouin 2"
Dave ships worldwide
Retain remote or bypass and use the built in
https://www.classiccarperformance.com/
Smaller, faster, lighter...

"I'm a long way gone down this wild road I'm on
It's gonna take me where I'm bound
It's a long way around"

"These are the days that must happen to you"

RD2 Radar/ Electronic Warfare Technician
Vietnam 1969-1972

MGB567 Avatar
But I don't want a starter I want the inner wheel arch mounted solenoid. I clicked on your link and only see starters. I already have the Aussie version of that.

Convertible: CKD 11/66 first registered 8/5/67. Owned since 3/77. 90% original sheet metal. 18GB +40 balanced with almost all new internals. Peter Burgess big valve fast road head. Piper 285. Fidanza FW. Basil's followers and pushrods. TR7clutch. TT exhaust. ARP everywhere. 123 ign. Needham 4synchro c/r box.. Stock rebuilt/replaced suspension. Superpro bushes. New brakes all round including all pipes in SS flex. Interior redone. CAMS approved roll bar and side bars. Lots more. Hybrid of o/e and show/fast road car. Not for sale - it's my toy!

GT: UK car built/sold December '78. Stripped back to bare shell with VW Golf flared guards, flush fit front and rear valances with front guards immovable. Front and rear seams removed,Torana XU1 vents, frenched indicators front & Mk1 rear lights. Powered by 'worked' Rover 5 litre V8 (ex TVR Chimaera) with efi. T5 box. FC IFS. CCE rear attached to Salisbury axle with Quaife. All new interior with MrMikes covers on MX5 seats. Retro4 7x15 rims (zero offset) and 205/55 rubber. Colour: Jaguar Storm. Not for sale - it's my sanity!

. Hide banner ads & support this website by becoming a > Gold Supporting Member <
melbaver Avatar
melbaver Gold Member Chris Howells
Carrington, NSW, Australia   AUS
1968 MG MGB "Moneypit"
2012 Dodge Journey "Another Shopping Trolley"
I've got the one without the go button, unless you have a screwdriver. Plan on swapping it for the one pictured so I can bump start when tuning.

Chris Howells

1968 MGB Purchased already dis-assembled but which is largely back together so I'm a lot less ignorant.

MGB567 Avatar
In reply to # 3890174 by melbaver I've got the one without the go button, unless you have a screwdriver. Plan on swapping it for the one pictured so I can bump start when tuning.

Nah I want to replace with one with a go button - well a big one on the back. There is a small go button on the RH version below but I like the round solenoid.

Attachments:
solenoid.jpg    17 KB
solenoid.jpg

tvrgeek Avatar
tvrgeek Silver Member Scott S
Hillsborough, North Carolinia, USA   USA
1965 MG MGB
I always just a generic Ford Bendix and put in a hard wired bump switch. Very reliable.

Cogito ergo sum periculoso

MGB567 Avatar
My starter is below and AIUI these are both a starter and a solenoid and is a similar starter to that linked in #2.

If so, the solenoid I show in the OP is really only to provide a go button and a spot for all the wires to be located (on the upper terminal) and a convenience. Astley says if you don't wish to bridge the solenoid terminals with a screwdriver then undo the incoming battery terminal (top) and relocate it to the other terminal with the cable to the starter presumably along with the wires and their spades? That means the solenoid has been taken out of the system so if the car starts you know that it's the solenoid that's the issue - if it doesn't start then it's likely a starter motor issue. Assuming that's what happens and the car starts is there any reason that I can't leave it with the solenoid bypassed until I get a new one?

Attachments:
starter.jpg    30.4 KB
starter.jpg

MGB567 Avatar
In reply to # 3890182 by tvrgeek I always just a generic Ford Bendix and put in a hard wired bump switch. Very reliable.

Show me a hard wired bump switch as Dr G wants to show me housing and computer applications. Does a hard wired bump switch allow for an in/out battery cable or is it connected to the starter by a wire? I know some folks who don't have a solenoid mounted under the voltage regulator have installed a switch so that they can bump the tappets - is this what you refer to?

sweep Avatar
sweep Gold Member Chris W
Gosford, NSW, Australia   AUS
1966 MG MGB "Basil"
2013 Volkswagen Tiguan
2015 Audi A3
Barrie, there's a few on Ebay, but they're not cheap.

Local one

Another one.

For mini

The secret to creativity is knowing how to hide your sources.

To the intelligent person, life appears infinitely mysterious, but the stupid have an answer for everything.

Day Dreamers, don't discourage them. That's where original thought comes from.

MGB567 Avatar
Thanks S: your 3rd one was on my watch list and now so is the 2nd thumbs up I saw the 1st and went looking elsewhere.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2019-02-12 05:32 AM by MGB567.

Speedracer Avatar
Speedracer Platinum Member Hap Waldrop
Greenville, SC, USA   USA
1967 MG MGB Racecar "The Biscuit"
If you are using a gear reduction starter, then it already has one built in, no need for a external unit.

Hap Waldrop
Acme Speed Shop
864-370-3000
hapwaldrop@acmespeedshop.com

Member Services:
MG/ Triumph Performance Street/Race Engines - Cylinder Head Porting - Modified SU HS Carbs - DIY Engine Rebuild Kits With Free Tech Advice - VTO alloy wheels for British Sport Cars, and others
MGB567 Avatar
In reply to # 3890198 by Speedracer If you are using a gear reduction starter, then it already has one built in, no need for a external unit.

Yeah that's what I thought Hap no need but I have an external one anyway. So rather than run all my wires via the lower terminal on the dead solenoid I could transfer to the starter? Including my quick fuse wire from the alternator?

RAY 67 TOURER Avatar
RAY 67 TOURER Ray Marloff
Fort Bragg, CA, USA   USA
1967 MG MGB "My Girl"
Barrie, I have a similar set up on my '67 B. It originally used the same solenoid and still does even though I upgraded to a '68 pre-engaged starter motor 35 years ago. I retained the push button fender mounted solenoid and still use it as a relay for the starter motor assembly. Several years ago, an oil line blew out and covered it in very slippery oil. It actually melted the rubber push button cover! I purchased a replacement solenoid from Moss and it's been doing a great job ever since. RAY

malski Avatar
malski Peter Malkin
Bright, N.E.Victoria, Australia   AUS
Baz
Herb Adler walked me thru the same issue a few weeks back. He’ll probably chime in.

Peter Malkin
NE Victoria
Australia
MGBGTV8 (1977)
MGB Roadster (1967) Supercharged - under restoration
MGTC (1949)

melbaver Avatar
melbaver Gold Member Chris Howells
Carrington, NSW, Australia   AUS
1968 MG MGB "Moneypit"
2012 Dodge Journey "Another Shopping Trolley"
In reply to # 3890205 by MGB567
In reply to # 3890198 by Speedracer If you are using a gear reduction starter, then it already has one built in, no need for a external unit.

Yeah that's what I thought Hap no need but I have an external one anyway.

Belt & Braces, it's the Australian Way!

Chris Howells

1968 MGB Purchased already dis-assembled but which is largely back together so I'm a lot less ignorant.

To add your reply, or post your own questions

Registration is FREE and takes less than a minute!

Having trouble posting or changing forum settings?
Read the Forum Help (FAQ) or contact the webmaster