Smith's Heater Restoration

Moss Motors
AutoShrine Sponsor
AutoShrine Sponsor
AutoShrine Sponsor
AutoShrine Sponsor

Wyliecoyote James Wylie
Comber, Northern Ireland, UK   GBR
The Smith's heater: what a pig to remove!!!!

Anyway, I set about fixing mine up for the crown jewel of the engine bay:

. Hide banner ads & support this website by becoming a > Gold Supporting Member <
3066james Avatar
3066james Gold Member Jim Cheatham
Amelia, VA, USA   USA
Wait til you try to put it back in!

In reply to # 3879471 by Wyliecoyote The Smith's heater: what a pig to remove!!!!

Anyway, I set about fixing mine up for the crown jewel of the engine bay:

tahoe36c Avatar
tahoe36c Paul Hruza
Panama City, FL, USA   USA
1969 MG MGC GT "Little Red Rocket..."
1972 MG MGB GT "Tiny Dancer"
2002 Harley-Davidson Dyna
I don't mean to sound negative but....

Why didn't you just bead blast to remove paint and corrosion, then powder coat?

Maybe I did it the lazy man's way! moon

Be sure to use stainless screws and washers when you install it. They give it a nice look...

. Hide banner ads & support this website by becoming a > Gold Supporting Member <
steve00136 Avatar
steve00136 Steve Livesley
Bramcote, Nottinghamshire, UK   GBR
1975 MG MGB
I removed mine not long ago (see https://mymgbinfo.wordpress.com/2019/01/15/refurbished-heater-box/) afterwards i read somewhere that was the second worse job to do on the mgb - i read on when they said the worst job was putting it back in!!

Steve
Nottingham, UK
blog www.mymgb.info

Wyliecoyote James Wylie
Have to say that I was very tempted by the blast/ powdercoat option!!!

Here's step two in the process.

I really enjoy breaking down project work into little bits like this!!!

jseabolt Avatar
jseabolt James Seabolt
Mount Carmel, TN, USA   USA
1977 MG MGB
In reply to # 3879668 by steve00136 I removed mine not long ago (see https://mymgbinfo.wordpress.com/2019/01/15/refurbished-heater-box/) afterwards i read somewhere that was the second worse job to do on the mgb - i read on when they said the worst job was putting it back in!!

Funny. When I got my MGB, I thought to myself, "The heater core and blower fan are right there in the engine compartment, easy to remove and replace if needed". On my Fiat 124 Spider, you have to remove the radio console, and fish around all the wiring to get to the heater core and fan. And stand on your head to replace the heater valve up underneath the dash mounted on the firewall.

http://s222.photobucket.com/user/turbofiat/library/?sort=2&page=0

1977 MGB
1980 Fiat 124 Spider (turbo)
1987 Yugo (1500 turbo)
1981 Trabant 601
1987 Citroen 2CV
1968 Ford Fairlane 500

tampaguy Avatar
tampaguy Jack Shea
Elgin, OR, USA   USA
Hint ! Remove and toss !

Wyliecoyote James Wylie
In reply to # 3879878 by jseabolt
In reply to # 3879668 by steve00136 I removed mine not long ago (see https://mymgbinfo.wordpress.com/2019/01/15/refurbished-heater-box/) afterwards i read somewhere that was the second worse job to do on the mgb - i read on when they said the worst job was putting it back in!!

Funny. When I got my MGB, I thought to myself, "The heater core and blower fan are right there in the engine compartment, easy to remove and replace if needed". On my Fiat 124 Spider, you have to remove the radio console, and fish around all the wiring to get to the heater core and fan. And stand on your head to replace the heater valve up underneath the dash mounted on the firewall.

Yes. I've heard the Italian cars can really complicate things in that department!

pcgold Avatar
pcgold Paul _
SK, Canada   CAN
1974 MG MGB
I just did mine. Dreaded putting it back in but, no word of a lie, 15 seconds was all it took. I had the new foam seal glued on and sprayed the outside with wd40 and it just slid right in. I think I got lucky.

Wyliecoyote James Wylie
In reply to # 3879889 by pcgold I just did mine. Dreaded putting it back in but, no word of a lie, 15 seconds was all it took. I had the new foam seal glued on and sprayed the outside with wd40 and it just slid right in. I think I got lucky.

Nice one! My main trouble was getting the cable to join in properly. Never thought to disconnect the other end.....

SteveZBMagnette Avatar
SteveZBMagnette Gold Member Steven Hanegan
Lake Forest Park, WA, USA   USA
1958 MG Magnette "Zeebee"
1962 MG MGA MkII "Arthur"
1969 MG MGB GT "The Black Russian"
1970 MG MGB "50/50"
MGB guys have no idea how easy they have it...

"Funny. When I got my MGB, I thought to myself, "The heater core and blower fan are right there in the engine compartment, easy to remove and replace if needed". On my Fiat 124 Spider, you have to remove the radio console, and fish around all the wiring to get to the heater core and fan. And stand on your head to replace the heater valve up underneath the dash mounted on the firewall."

AND... on a Magnette, the heater box/valves/controls are also inside the car, and on the later ZB models you have to remove the under-dash package tray and the upholstered kick panels on either side to even be able to get upside down with your head under the dash to get to anything...

And, if you are REALLY into torture and self abuse, try to replace the heater core in an early 2000s Taurus!!! Yipe!

https://get.google.com/albumarchive/112234424386054937434/album/AF1QipM0lleU2P_V_q_eibUlaUviXf6I88E9avBzVUZ8

Who would have thought that people who live on an island in the North Atlantic where it is near constant rain and snow would have really kinda missed the boat when it comes to either heating a car or keeping the inside of it dry? And the passage of time really hasn't improved much! I have several friends with later model Jags who constantly squawk about the leaks and the capricious heat...

I wonder if that is some sort of "stiff upper lip" or character building exercise... "If you are cold, take a coat", "If you are wet, tale a towel!"

IMHO, if they were easy, we wouldn't like 'em as much!

jseabolt Avatar
jseabolt James Seabolt
Mount Carmel, TN, USA   USA
1977 MG MGB
In reply to # 3879906 by SteveZBMagnette MGB guys have no idea how easy they have it...

"Funny. When I got my MGB, I thought to myself, "The heater core and blower fan are right there in the engine compartment, easy to remove and replace if needed". On my Fiat 124 Spider, you have to remove the radio console, and fish around all the wiring to get to the heater core and fan. And stand on your head to replace the heater valve up underneath the dash mounted on the firewall."

AND... on a Magnette, the heater box/valves/controls are also inside the car, and on the later ZB models you have to remove the under-dash package tray and the upholstered kick panels on either side to even be able to get upside down with your head under the dash to get to anything...

And, if you are REALLY into torture and self abuse, try to replace the heater core in an early 2000s Taurus!!! Yipe!

https://get.google.com/albumarchive/112234424386054937434/album/AF1QipM0lleU2P_V_q_eibUlaUviXf6I88E9avBzVUZ8

Who would have thought that people who live on an island in the North Atlantic where it is near constant rain and snow would have really kinda missed the boat when it comes to either heating a car or keeping the inside of it dry? And the passage of time really hasn't improved much! I have several friends with later model Jags who constantly squawk about the leaks and the capricious heat...

I wonder if that is some sort of "stiff upper lip" or character building exercise... "If you are cold, take a coat", "If you are wet, tale a towel!"

IMHO, if they were easy, we wouldn't like 'em as much!

So do the heaters suck in MGBs? Mine is still up on jackstands. At the rate I am going with the maintenance, it may be spring before I get to drive it.

http://s222.photobucket.com/user/turbofiat/library/?sort=2&page=0

1977 MGB
1980 Fiat 124 Spider (turbo)
1987 Yugo (1500 turbo)
1981 Trabant 601
1987 Citroen 2CV
1968 Ford Fairlane 500

ClayJ Avatar
ClayJ Silver Member Clay Johnston
Mt. Olive, MS, USA   USA
1972 MG MGB
My B with a new core, new felts on the defroster direction flapper, a non-OEM heater valve and 180deg stat works great. Has for 10 years.

malski Avatar
malski Peter Malkin
Bright, N.E.Victoria, Australia   AUS
In reply to # 3879880 by tampaguy Hint ! Remove and toss !

Why on earth would you toss a component that with care and maintenance serves a perfectly adequate purpose?
My heaters are a godsend during our winters - snow, ice etc.

Peter Malkin
NE Victoria
Australia
MGBGTV8 (1977)
MGB Roadster (1967) Supercharged - under restoration
MGTC (1949)

Wyliecoyote James Wylie
I find the MG heater brilliant!!!

Here's part 3:

To add your reply, or post your own questions

Registration is FREE and takes less than a minute!

Having trouble posting or changing forum settings?
Read the Forum Help (FAQ) or contact the webmaster