Moss Motors
AutoShrine Sponsor
AutoShrine Sponsor
AutoShrine Sponsor
AutoShrine Sponsor

Brian E Avatar
Stanwood, WA, USA   USA
1979 MG MGB
I've been through the shift lever assembly, replaced the plastic cap, damper springs, and so on, and most of rattles are now gone; however, at 60 MPH or so, there is still a rattle that comes from the knob itself. The car is a '79, non-overdrive, and the existing knob is one of the leather-covered pear-shaped varieties with no metal threads. You can see that the knob rocks on the shaft slightly no matter how tight the jamb nut is taken up, so it is past it's prime

It seems the original knob is not available (not sure I like the look anyway), and before I re-invent the wheel, I thought I'd ask if anyone knows if there are other 7/16-20 options that are already available for the later-year cars. Barring that, I'm looking at what options others might have used with success.

I've attached a couple images below. Right now, I'm thinking to either a) drill the round-style knob below (or the knob I have) to accept an epoxied-in 7/16-20 insert or b) see if I can't drill out the MGA-type knob and thread it at 7/16-20.

Thanks in advance.

. Hide this ad & support a small business by becoming a Gold Supporting Member

Attachments:
021-399_1.jpg    17 KB
021-399_1.jpg

021-399_3.jpg    14.5 KB
Sign In or Register to view this photo
461-680_1.jpg    17.9 KB
461-680_2.jpg    15.8 KB
Was this post helpful or interesting?
Yes No Thank
lokiufgator Avatar
lokiufgator Gold Member Mike S
Evington, VA, USA   USA
Well I have a particular direction I wanted to take the build of the "Leaky Tiki" in so I put together my own means of making it work. Found the shifter I wanted here:
https://www.americanshifter.com/catalog/shift-knobs/limited-edition-shift-knobs/ASCSN00002/tiny-tiki-custom-shift-knob

And then got the adapter for the threads from amazon, here:
https://www.amazon.com/American-Shifter-8210-Custom-Adapter/dp/B00IL2TC62

Loctite'd the adapter into the shift knob and the but the jam nut under the shifter skirt with a washer to tighten it up well. Wrapped the threads on the shortened shifter with teflon tape to take up any slack and rattles.
I love it!

Yes No Thank
ozieagle Avatar
ozieagle Gold Member Herb Adler
Geelong Victoria, Australia   AUS
1958 Wolseley 1500 "Wooly"
1966 MG MGB "Bl**dy B"
If you chose to drill and fit a threaded adaptor don't epoxy it, use silicone rubber, it dampens the vibrations.

I found that, if using a round threaded sleeve , it is necessary to cut shallow grooves around the outside, to give a better "grip".

Herb

Questions about prostate cancer? Click here to join the discussion

Attachments:
Gearknob Rubber.jpg    13 KB
Gearknob Rubber.jpg

+1 Yes No Thank
Gromit Avatar
Gromit Larry Heaps
Street, MD, USA   USA
1974 MG MGB "74 Moss"
I've made a LOT of knobs (Gromet, do a search). Knobs are seldom, if ever the problem the problem.
If you remove the shifter from inside the car, you'll find a small seat in the bottom of the trans linkage. This is where your problem is. It's worn. Just replace the seat, (easy to do, you can't get into trouble) then reinstall the shifter and knob.
LHH

Yes No Thank
Brian E Avatar
Stanwood, WA, USA   USA
1979 MG MGB
That's where I started. I've taken the entire assembly apart and have replaced the seat (small plastic cup), the damper springs, the tracery washers, etc, etc, greased the plate, made sure the short bolt is in the correct location when reassembling and so on. I think the assembly is put together about as well as it can be at this point, and all is really quiet until about 60 MPH when there is a bit of a buzz or rattle that sure seems as though it is coming from inside the knob itself. I may be still be wrong about that, but I don't think so. Before re-working the entire assembly, it was pretty noisy at nearly any speed. Now there is just the buzz at 60+, so there has been some improvement - just trying to chase down the last of it. Since I can rock the knob slightly on the shaft, I believe there may be enough play in the knob that there is some harmonic vibration taking place.

I've read that some people use silicone inside the knobs to reduce noise - perhaps I'll give that a try.

On the knobs that you make, are you using metal threads, an insert of some sort?

Yes No Thank
rocannon Avatar
rocannon Platinum Member Frank .
Clairvius Narcisse Township, Bokor, St. Kitts and Nevis   KNA
1967 MG MGB GT "GT From Hell"
1980 MG MGB "Restored By Photoshop Inc."
Have you driven the car with no knob? Just to be sure.

- .- -. ... - .- .- ..-. .-.. -.-.--

Krishnamurti: “It is no measure of health to be well adjusted to a profoundly sick society.”

Sententia est fallacia; credere durum praecipitatum omnia inanis.

Yes No Thank
Gromit Avatar
Gromit Larry Heaps
Street, MD, USA   USA
1974 MG MGB "74 Moss"
Brian,
My threaded inserts are made of 6061 aluminum.
LHH

Yes No Thank
Gerald O Avatar
Gerald O Gerald O'Docharty
Wake Forest, North Carolina, USA   USA
1972 MG MGB GT
1978 MG MGB
Here's one option:

Yes No Thank
lewk Avatar
lewk Silver Member Keith Lewis
Cambridge, ON, Canada   CAN
Shift knob and matching handbrake sleeve.

Attachments:
IMG_3637.JPG    36.1 KB
IMG_3637.JPG

+1 Yes No Thank
  greenrman thanked lewk for this post
Brian E Avatar
Stanwood, WA, USA   USA
1979 MG MGB
First of all, thanks for the responses. My gear shift assembly is now quiet for the first time ever - no more annoying buzz.

The knob that was on the car when I got it was leather over wood. I removed it and pried out the threaded ferule, and at that point it was obvious that the wood had eroded away to the point where the ferrule had become loose, thus the buzz. A dose of 5-minute epoxy, pressed the ferrule back in, and all is quiet.

I also took a chance and spent $5.80 on one of the earlier-year knobs from Moss. I drilled that one and threaded to 7/16-20. That too is quiet, and I think it looks okay, but seems to be a very small diameter. It measures 1-5/8". Does that seem correct for the original early '70s variety?

Yes No Thank

To add your reply, or post your own questions

Registration is FREE and takes less than a minute!

Having trouble posting or changing forum settings?
Read the Forum Help (FAQ) or contact the webmaster