Moss Motors
AutoShrine Sponsor
AutoShrine Sponsor
AutoShrine Sponsor
AutoShrine Sponsor

John in Eugene Avatar
John in Eugene Platinum Member John Quilter
Eugene, OR, USA   USA
Of interest to California British car owners with 1976 to pre 1983 model year cars, a new state bill has been submitted to extend the California required biannual smog check exemption to pre 1983 year cars from the existing exemption for cars pre 1976 model year. The bill, AB 210, is currently before the State Assembly Transportation Committee. If you chose to weigh in on this proposal, details on how to do that are at: http://www.semasan.com/legislative-alerts/california/california-bill-exempt-pre-1983-vehicles-emissions-inspections

Prior attempts at this effort have been rejected by the CARB and in turn the legislature but hope springs eternal.

John F. Quilter
Eugene, Oregon USA

. Hide banner ads & support this website by becoming a > Gold Supporting Member <
Fairfield, CA, USA   USA
so you are saying that should this pass (unlikely as Sen Kopp is long gone<G> and there is nobody in the assy that knows his/her ass from a spark plug) the no-inspection rule would change from 76-on to 83-on?

That would certainly impact the resale value of a late B within the state.

1973 Pale Primrose Roadster. A nice 10-footer!
SUs, Datsun 5-speed

John in Eugene Avatar
John in Eugene Platinum Member John Quilter
Eugene, OR, USA   USA
Yes, should this pass (a real long shot) a lot of mothballed MGBs would come out of garages and barns and get back on the road. Might stem the tide of them being exported or sold out of CA to other states like Oregon which has a classic car registration scheme that is permanent and avoids any emissions test in the few counties that currently require it.

John F. Quilter
a California escapee to
Eugene, Oregon

. Hide banner ads & support this website by becoming a > Gold Supporting Member <
cunhab Avatar
cunhab Bruce Cunha
Placerville, CA, USA   USA
1950 MG TD
1967 MG MGB GT
I worked on this bill when it came up two years ago. It moved along smoothly until the last hearings. Los Angles Air Quality and San Francisco Air Quality boards shot it down. Unlikely they will support it.

jonbok Avatar
jonbok Silver Member Jon Bok
Los Angeles, CA, USA   USA
I’m hopeful but not optimistic.
Pretty much anyone that drives a 76-80 MG in California is committing a crime. You can make them run well, and you can make them pass smog, but you can’t do both. I suspect most people take the smog bits off between smog checks, or at the very least adjust the timing and carb afterwards to get them to run acceptably well.
My 79 passed smog in December, so I’m good for two years.
In the unlikely event that the bill passes I might then seek out that Midget 1500 that I wanted as a kid. Otherwise, I’ve learned my lesson to stick with 1975 and earlier cars.

nickj Avatar
nickj Gold Member Nick Jenkins
Novato, Marin Co, CA, USA   USA
1970 MG MGB GT
1972 MG MGB
In reply to # 3889722 by jonbok Pretty much anyone that drives a 76-80 MG in California is committing a crime.
Pretty much anyone that drives in California is committing a crime. Most of the cars flying by me at 80 mph are not M.G.s.

oleanderjoe Avatar
oleanderjoe Gold Member Joseph Baba
Fresno, CA, USA   USA
JON: Your second sentence is "SPOT ON" thumbs up

In reply to # 3889722 by jonbok I’m hopeful but not optimistic.
Pretty much anyone that drives a 76-80 MG in California is committing a crime. You can make them run well, and you can make them pass smog, but you can’t do both. I suspect most people take the smog bits off between smog checks, or at the very least adjust the timing and carb afterwards to get them to run acceptably well.
My 79 passed smog in December, so I’m good for two years.
In the unlikely event that the bill passes I might then seek out that Midget 1500 that I wanted as a kid. Otherwise, I’ve learned my lesson to stick with 1975 and earlier cars.

IN ALL SUBJECTS.: For those who believe, no proof is needed. For those who don’t believe, no proof is possible.

"Strive for perfection in everything. Take the best that exists and make it better. If it doesn't exist, create it. Accept nothing nearly right or good enough"
Sir Henry Royce
co-founder of Rolls Royce .

"BENJAMIN FRANKLIN" >>(Expanded) The bitterness of poor quality (or Crappy Workmenship) remains LONG AFTER the Sweet Taste of Low Price is forgotten.

Member Services:

To add your reply, or post your own questions

Registration is FREE and takes less than a minute!

Having trouble posting or changing forum settings?
Read the Forum Help (FAQ) or contact the webmaster