AutoShrine Sponsor
AutoShrine Sponsor
AutoShrine Sponsor
AutoShrine Sponsor

luzdave1 DAVID HILL
Patterson, CA. 95363, USA   USA
1980 MG MGB
1999 Mazda MX-5
Any thoughts on to PROS and CONS between these 2 company's? And are there any other good quality manf. Do they all use leather seat frnts. and vinyl for everything else. The Prestige costs more ,do you get more, a better quality, or the name? The int. and top from Prestige will run me @2900.00 I am trying to see if it is worth it? I know cost is subjective to an individual, I am looking for value to $ spent .

. Hide banner ads & support this website by becoming a > Gold Supporting Member <
rntanner Avatar
rntanner Silver Member Roger N. Tanner
Oxnard, CA, USA   USA
1970 MG MGB
1977 MG MGB
Moss in Goleta, CA, makes (in house) some very nice interiors.

No, they won't be the cheapest; but, if you want a life time interior, the Moss parts are excellent.

I have them on/in my 1977 MGB.

Roger N. Tanner
Professional Engineer, Retired

MGB567 Avatar
MGB567 Gold Member Barrie Braxton
Sunshine Coast, Queensland, Australia   AUS
1966 MG MGB MkI "Money Guzzler"
1979 MG MGB GT V8 Conversion "Darkside"
read through this - OP refers to PJM. I haven't decided yet on whom I'll use for the GT although I've established a connection with Prestige who are sending me a top. I'm too busy trying to sort a headlining kit to work out the trim/seats which all need replacing other than my door cards. If i stick with the new black doorcards my decision will be based at first on supply/cost of the other trims.

Convertible: CKD 11/66 first registered 8/5/67. Owned since 3/77. 90% original sheet metal. 18GB +40 balanced with almost all new internals. Peter Burgess big valve fast road head. Piper 285. Fidanza FW. Basil's followers and pushrods. TR7clutch. TT exhaust. ARP everywhere. 123 ign. Needham 4synchro c/r box.. Stock rebuilt/replaced suspension. Superpro bushes. New brakes all round including all pipes in SS flex. Interior redone. CAMS approved roll bar and side bars. Lots more. Hybrid of o/e and show/fast road car. Not for sale - it's my toy!

GT: UK car built/sold December '78. Stripped back to bare shell with VW Golf flared guards, flush fit front and rear valances with front guards immovable. Front and rear seams removed,Torana XU1 vents, frenched indicators front & Mk1 rear lights. Powered by 'worked' Rover 5 litre V8 (ex TVR Chimaera) with efi. T5 box. FC IFS. CCE rear attached to Salisbury axle with Quaife. All new interior with MrMikes covers on MX5 seats. Retro4 7x15 rims (zero offset) and 205/55 rubber. Colour: Jaguar Storm. Not for sale - it's my sanity!

. Hide banner ads & support this website by becoming a > Gold Supporting Member <
marlil1201 Mark Lillard
CA, USA   USA
1965 MG MGB
I went with Moss's carpets and door panels, but went with Mirror Trim's seats. I ordered all leather and they are very nice. My wife Christine and I put them on together making it a fun day for the seat covers.
Mark

Glenwood Peter G.
Basel, *, Switzerland   CHE
Hi

This is my first post in this forum, greetings to all of you. As many here I'm a longtime MGB owner (more than 35 years) and a few months ago I discovered this very useful forum. I like it a lot as a help for decision making and therefore want to share the following buying experience.

Some weeks ago I decided to swap the somewhat tired 1962-68 style original leather seats of my MGB roadster with new ones. After checking out the various interior trim suppliers I decided to go with Mirror Trim UK. Besides the very positive feedbacks from forum members the offer was convincing and owner Paul Aylett was responsive and helpful.

After the delivery I'm absolutely satisfied with the new leather seats. The used materials and the craftmanship are of excellent quality and the seats look great (see pics). The only visible difference to my original seats is the absence of the hessian liner between the seat base foam and the rubber diaphragm on the seat bottom (Mirror Trim sells it for only 6 GBP per piece). On my old seats the liner is installed, but admittedly I don't know if all original 1962-68 seats do have it or just the early ones. Is the hessian liner really needed on seats with the rubber diaphragm?

Attachments:
MirrorTrim seats - front view.JPG    47.3 KB
MirrorTrim seats - front view.JPG

MirrorTrim seats - side view .JPG    52.4 KB
Sign In or Register to view this photo
MirrorTrim seats - rear view.JPG    44.2 KB
MirrorTrim seats - bottom view.JPG    54.8 KB
Phantomracer Avatar
Phantomracer Paul Seeberg
Boston, MA, USA   USA
1972 MG MGB GT "72 White GT"
1980 MG MGB "Phantomracer"
In reply to # 3012714 by luzdave1 Any thoughts on to PROS and CONS between these 2 company's? And are there any other good quality manf. Do they all use leather seat frnts. and vinyl for everything else. The Prestige costs more ,do you get more, a better quality, or the name? The int. and top from Prestige will run me @2900.00 I am trying to see if it is worth it? I know cost is subjective to an individual, I am looking for value to $ spent .

Unsure about the overseas vendors, I couldnt find any of the normal US vendors (moss, et al) sold actual leather seats. All were leather trimmed (which moss is very clear about) Only the front of the seat back, and seat bottom top surface (ie 2 pieces of leather per seat) is actual leather. The sides and back are vinyl.

I had one-off seats made by a local upholsterer out of all leather (not a single square inch of vinyl) including the piping! The cost was about the price of the Moss leather/vinyl kit made, assembled, and installed in my GT (including the rear seat)

There is nothing like all leather, IMO. I am glad I stuck to my guns on that decision, especially for red seats.

Bring some pictures to a local shop. you might be surprised at what a good value they can be.

http://seeberg.com/piwigo/index.php?/category/406

An MG is never 'finished', if there is nothing for you to currently work on it is merely 'resting'.
New My 1980 MGB roadster 'refresh' facebook page (please 'like' to get updates)
My Facebook page
1980 MGB Inca Yellow
1972 MGB-GT Glacier White
My (needs to be updated) lousy website
Brittanic Motors-Premier British Car Service

chris Avatar
chris Platinum Member Chris Roop
Pendleton, OR, USA   USA
Welcome Peter! Is the Hessian liner the burlap?? If so, it provides a sliding surface between the foam and diaphragm. I'm not sure how effective or necessary it is.

Member Services:
Used English car parts.
purdysmg Avatar
purdysmg John Harrison
Gjettum, oslo, Norway   NOR
1971 Morgan 4-4 "Pretend Norton"
1978 MG MGB "Topless Go Go Girl"
PJM will sew up a complete leather seat kit if you request it. Most manufactures today have the pattern & fit down pretty well. It really comes down the the leather they use. Cheaper kits may/may not use the best. I have always gone PJM and never disappointed, thick heavy vat dyed leather.

Glenwood Peter G.
Yes, Chris, it's called burlap in the U.S.

Definitely the 70-80 seats with the webbing straps at the bottom need the burlap or other inlay to prevent cutting the straps into the foam when the seats are being used.

But as already said, I don't know if the burlap is also needed/advisable for the 1962-68 seats with the rubber diaphragm (last pic in my earlier post). To me the danger of cutting into the foam seems not the same as with the webbing straps.

Any experiences of forum members with 1962-68 seats?

Attachments:
1970-80 seat base webbing.jpg    32.2 KB
1970-80 seat base webbing.jpg

1962-69 seat base rubber diaphragm.jpg    28.3 KB
Glenwood Peter G.
@Phantomracer

"Only the front of the seat back, and seat bottom top surface (ie 2 pieces of leather per seat) is actual leather. The sides and back are vinyl."

Hi Paul
That was the original equipment for all 1962-68 MGB seats in the U.S. and Europe. Ordering my new seats I could choose the full leather version which is just 140 Dollars more for both seats. Nevertheless I preferred the original pattern for authenticity reasons. The vinyl on the back and sides of the new seats is of the same high quality as on my nearly 50 years old ones (see pics above). I'm surprised that there's no visible difference between the vinyl and the leather sections, whether on the new nor the old seats. But as always: it's just a matter of taste.

CederholmC Avatar
CederholmC Carl E. Cederholm
BROOKLYN, NY, USA   USA
1953 Chevrolet Bel Air "The Sled"
1969 MG MGB GT "Supercharged"
1972 MG MGB "Brooklyn B"
1981 Toyota Land Cruiser
Just a vote for Prestige here. I used them for my seats, door trim, carpet, tonneau cover and top on my roadster. Great quality and super customer service.

~ Carl

V8MGBV8 Avatar
V8MGBV8 Carl Floyd
Kingsport, TN, USA   USA
In reply to # 3163227 by Phantomracer

Unsure about the overseas vendors, I couldnt find any of the normal US vendors (moss, et al) sold actual leather seats. All were leather trimmed (which moss is very clear about) Only the front of the seat back, and seat bottom top surface (ie 2 pieces of leather per seat) is actual leather. The sides and back are vinyl.

That has been SOP from the Automakers for many years now to reduce costs. It's a shame cause the vinyl part always breaks down way before the leather is worn out.

Steve S. Stephen Strange
Harrisonburg, VA, USA   USA
1972 MG MGB MkII "The Mouse Trap"
I also have nothing but good things to say about PJM Motors over in the UK. They provided the interior of my MGC, my Midget, my wife's MGC, and Son Danny's Sprite. Excellent materials, fine attention to detail, and friendly customer service. They're quite happy to do a bit of customization, too, such as matching the color of the piping to the color of your paint.

Phantomracer Avatar
Phantomracer Paul Seeberg
Boston, MA, USA   USA
1972 MG MGB GT "72 White GT"
1980 MG MGB "Phantomracer"
In reply to # 3163421 by V8MGBV8

That has been SOP from the Automakers for many years now to reduce costs. It's a shame cause the vinyl part always breaks down way before the leather is worn out.

exactly why i insisted on all leather. Had way too many leather and vinyl seats wear differently over time. the vinyl keeping its color but cracking over time, the leather wearing nicely (if maintained) but fading just a bit (especially red) showing a sharp contrast in color between the 2 materials.

The cost, having them made in all leather, was about $200 for my GT for front and back. (about 10% or so premium)

Just found this thread..even on a new Jeep, only the center section of the bottom cushion is leather! Crazy! http://www.candlepowerforums.com/vb/showthread.php?389986-Car-seat-leather-cracking-fixable

An MG is never 'finished', if there is nothing for you to currently work on it is merely 'resting'.
New My 1980 MGB roadster 'refresh' facebook page (please 'like' to get updates)
My Facebook page
1980 MGB Inca Yellow
1972 MGB-GT Glacier White
My (needs to be updated) lousy website
Brittanic Motors-Premier British Car Service

Glenwood Peter G.
In reply to # 3163438 by Phantomracer
In reply to # 3163421 by V8MGBV8
It's a shame cause the vinyl part always breaks down way before the leather is worn out.
Had way too many leather and vinyl seats wear differently over time. the vinyl keeping its color but cracking over time, the leather wearing nicely (if maintained) but fading just a bit (especially red) showing a sharp contrast in color between the 2 materials.

Sorry to hear about that but my experience with the vinyl parts on the OE 1962-68 style seats is significantly better. Should depend on vinyl quality, stress and local climate conditions the seats are exposed to.

As you can see (pics) the vinyl on the sides of the backrest of my nearly 50 years old original seats aged similar to the leather sections. BTW, the seats were not maintained for years. The vinyl on the hidden backside even looks better. I saw many other old seats here in Europe looking the same way.

Hope the vinyl parts on my new seats will age as well as on the originals.

Attachments:
My old seats1.JPG    54.4 KB
My old seats1.JPG

My old seats3.JPG    53.5 KB

To add your reply, or post your own questions

Registration is FREE and takes less than a minute!

Having trouble posting or changing forum settings?
Read the Forum Help (FAQ) or contact the webmaster