Moss Motors
AutoShrine Sponsor
AutoShrine Sponsor
AutoShrine Sponsor
AutoShrine Sponsor

ski.dive Avatar
ski.dive Fred M
FORT PIERCE, FL & MOUNT SNOW, VERMONT, FL & VT, USA   USA
As we all know, our MGB's did not come with cup holders.

What creative ideas have you all come up with to have a cup holder?

Post ideas and pictures of your MGB cup holder.

. Hide this ad & support a small business by becoming a Gold Supporting Member
Was this post helpful or interesting?
Yes No Thank
MG Dog Avatar
MG Dog Gerald Klida
Saint Clair Shores, MI, USA   USA
Interested to see what people have come up with.

The one pictured is somewhat unreliable.

“What seems to be, Is,
To those to whom it seems to be...."
William Blake

Attachments:
stock-photo-young-happy-mixed-race-woman-holding-a-coffee-cup-isolated-on-white-background-69756319.jpg    27.1 KB
stock-photo-young-happy-mixed-race-woman-holding-a-coffee-cup-isolated-on-white-background-69756319.jpg

+3 Yes No Thank
tomkatb Avatar
tomkatb Larry Baygents
Dayton, Ohio, USA   USA
1963 MG MGB
Got one of those. Doesn't work a lot. Girls are not real fond of convertibles.

Pele who live on boats or in 18 wheelers use this:

18oz Stainless Steel Thermal Insulated Chubby Coffee Mug Cup. From Amazon or Starbucks.

You cannot spill the coffee. Sits on the seat or the floor.

Does not have the J. C. Whitney ombiance. Plastic crap screwed to the dash.

L.W.(Larry)Baygents
63B
77 Spit

Yes No Thank
Recently Bitten Avatar
Recently Bitten Gold Member Dennis Stewart
Rochelle, Illinous, USA   USA
1968 MG MGB "Aunt B"
Roll of duct tape sitting on the floor works great...
Cheap and has lot's of other uses...smileys with beer

Dennis Stewart
Rochelle, Il

If you want to hear God laugh, Tell Him your PLANS!!

+1 Yes No Thank
MG-Maxx Avatar
MG-Maxx Silver Member Charles Waugh
West Haven, CT, USA   USA
1979 MG MGB MkIII "Rumpelstiltskin"
2008 Chevrolet HHR
This one is on Bill Guzman's website http://www.classicconversionseng.com/MGB-Accessories.htm

Thought it was a Clark and Clark, but did not find it on their site......

Chuck
Hamden, CT

79 MGB - Rumpelstiltskin
Just awakened after a 10 year slumber.
GM 60V6 Gen 3 - 3.5L EFI V6 T-5.

Attachments:
cupholder.jpg    15.9 KB
cupholder.jpg

Yes No Thank
chris Avatar
chris Platinum Member Chris Roop
Pendleton, OR, USA   USA
That does look like Clark&Clark.

Member Services:
Used English car parts.
Yes No Thank
billymgb1000 Avatar
billymgb1000 Silver Member william gaulin
harrisville, harrisville RI, USA   USA
1973 MG MGB
1974 MG MGB V8 Conversion "Sweet Thing"
I built my dash around my cup holder (not really but sounds good)

Attachments:
100_1913.JPG    38.8 KB
100_1913.JPG

+1 Yes No Thank
  Guitwithit thanked billymgb1000 for this post
tourtelot Avatar
tourtelot Gold Member Douglas Tourtelot
Seattle, WA, USA   USA
1976 MG MGB "Heathcoat"
It is my humble opinion that the cup holder referenced in Chuck's post is the, let me choose my words carefully here, the stupidest, dumbest, most useless thing ever produced for our cars EVER. Was that too strong? smiling smiley Super lightweight (I tried filling mine with paraffin to weight it down. Didn't work), and in exactly the worst position it could be in the car. The shift lever bumps into whatever size cup you have in it in BOTH firsts and third gear.

I mean the next sentence truly. The first to PM me and set up a $7 PayPal for postage is welcome to mine. Really. My honest advice. Don't waste $7 that could buy a coupla good cups of coffee. A St*rbucks double tall fits neatly, and mostly securely between the edge of my seat and the door card. Works well for me anyway; haven't spilled one yet and I drink a lot of that coffee.

D.

Douglas Tourtelot
Seattle, WA

"Every education has a tuition"

+1 Yes No Thank
Nicecar Avatar
Nicecar Gary (ex "Harv") G
Victoria, BC, Canada   CAN
1980 MG MGB "Red On Red On Red"
Here's mine that works great. I don't like this on the drivers side, so I place it on the passenger side. Goes on or off in seconds. I usually drive alone, but even with a passenger, they can hold their cup, and I can reach across them for mine.

To install, I roll down window so top of glass is flush with top of door, then slide sheet metal down on inside of glass. Window can then be raised and lowered.

Commercial cup holder that allows for various cup diameters. It didn't work well until I bent the sheet metal to 90 degree corners.

The wood keeps the cup holder base horizontal, and I found that an empty dremel cutting rings container, keeps the cup secure and vertical, and its curvature lets the cup slide in more easily, though anything of this diameter would work.

Electrical tape around sheet metal edge keeps me from cutting my fingers.

Can be modified to work on any car.

Attachments:
Cup holder 1.JPG    21 KB
Cup holder 1.JPG

Cup holder 2 : side.JPG    22.6 KB
Sign In or Register to view this photo
Cup holder 3 :top.JPG    18.7 KB
+1 Yes No Thank
  Guitwithit thanked Nicecar for this post
oldredsel Avatar
oldredsel Silver Member Rick Crosby
South Dartmouth, MA, USA   USA
1959 Edsel Villager "OLD Red EDSEL"
1969 MG MGB GT "Emma"
1980 MG MGB "Hole-y Roller"
2003 Chevrolet S10 "The S10"    & more
I've considered removing my ashtray, and installing a marine, stainless steel, double ring cup holder (pic 1). I think it'd look clean, but simply cannot justify the $30+ cost when the roll of duct tape (pic 2) works so well! It sits under the crook of my passenger's knee and she's never complained about it. Of course I place a 2nd roll next to it for her caffeine when my she accompanies me. winking smiley

Cheers,

Rick

If I could get all the money back I ever spent on cars. . . I'd spend it on cars. - Nick Mason (Pink Floyd)

The journey is the destination.

Attachments:
RingCupHolder.JPG    21.9 KB
RingCupHolder.JPG

DuctTapeCupHolder 003.JPG    76.2 KB
+3 Yes No Thank
Dans77B Avatar
Dans77B Daniel C
Southport, Merseyside, UK   GBR
Can you Americans not go 5 minutes without shoving something in your mouth? I only ever eat/drink in the car when its stationary, in that case the centre console makes an excellent table if you shove the gear lever back.

+3 Yes No Thank
warekl Avatar
warekl Silver Member Keith Ware
White Bear Lake Mn, USA   USA
1973 MG MGB GT
1979 MG MGB
In reply to # 2950919 by Dans77B Can you Americans not go 5 minutes without shoving something in your mouth? I only ever eat/drink in the car when its stationary, in that case the centre console makes an excellent table if you shove the gear lever back.

I think 6 minutes is my personal best and then I was reaching for a Flat White.....winking smiley

USMC ... Semper Fi
79 RB Lowered, HS4s by Dave Braun & "Schlemmerized" 25D Dizzy, 9.5:1 CR, Mild Performance Cam, 18V with OD Tranny.

73 GT in Black Tulip

+4 Yes No Thank
riley1489 Avatar
riley1489 Gold Member Bruce H
Great White North, QC, Canada   CAN
1953 Jaguar XK120
1959 Riley 1.5 "King George"
1973 MG MGB
In reply to # 2950924 by warekl I think 6 minutes is my personal best and then I was reaching for a Flat White.....winking smiley

Good one Keith. thumbs up

My neighbor has a Honda Odyssey minivan. Interestingly this minivan has more cup holders than seats, I think 12. eye popping smiley Also has upholstery with stain resistant fabric. I guess it is just the way things are today?

Bruce

Check your ego Amigo!

Yes No Thank
DrewM Avatar
DrewM Drew Maddock
74 MGB roadster, Southern California, USA   USA
Daniel, As an American I want you to know that I personally am unable to even leave my home without something in my mouth. A hot beverage in the winter, a cooling beverage in the summer. With that taken care of, I am able to sprint to my car. In the car, however, I find that I begin to need some sort of oral gratification within the first ten minutes. Formerly, I would pull off the highway (onto the "verge" as you say) and plead with a neighbor for an oral stimulant of some kind -- beer, wine, a garden hose, a birdbath. I was not choosy. After one too many drinks from a birdbath, however, I decided to carry my own drinks. Unfortunately, whether it was a coffee cup or a wine glass, it splashed, sloshed, and spilled. And once again, my linen pants were ruined by the time I got to the country club! Next, I tried bottles, and no more splashing. No more ruined pants. But the bottle inevitably rolled off the passenger seat onto the floor where it would roll forward and backwards as I drove. I found leaning over to retrieve the bottle at 65 mph interesting, to say the least. Finally, more parched than ever, I found the greatest solution. To cope with my oral issues, especially when the local drive-through burger joint hands me a size "small" beverage that totals in excess of 64 Proud American Ounces, I began to use this:

http://www.mossmiata.com/Shop/ViewProducts.aspx?PlateIndexID=78084

It slips underneath the passenger carpet, and it's perfect. My body is now 99% liquid once more. This is what proud Americans are capable of. Landing a man on the moon? Easy. Installing a stable platform for a cold or hot beverage into a British-designed sports car? It took years to do that. But we Americans have done it once again. Slurp.

Yes, good questions. Why indeed do we Americans drink as we drive? Daniel, my friend, I have no idea, and it is pretty silly. But excuse me while I attend to my American birthright, extreme and instant self-gratification. More beer, anyone? Land of the Free and Home of the Congenitally Thirsty. Burp.

Drew Maddock, So. Calif. USofA

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2015-03-28 07:40 PM by DrewM.

+10 Yes No Thank
  MG-Maxx thanked DrewM for this post
Dans77B Avatar
Dans77B Daniel C
Southport, Merseyside, UK   GBR

Drew,

That is actually a very good solution!

I remember my shock at seeing ride-on lawn mowers with cup holders. Unfortunately this sort of thing is starting to spread over here, I think most new cars now have cup holders - you can even buy sofas with cup holders in the arms!

+1 Yes No Thank
  PaulP thanked Dans77B for this post

To add your reply, or post your own questions

Registration is FREE and takes less than a minute!

Having trouble posting or changing forum settings?
Read the Forum Help (FAQ) or contact the webmaster