Moss Motors
AutoShrine Sponsor
AutoShrine Sponsor
AutoShrine Sponsor
AutoShrine Sponsor

V8MGBV8 Avatar
V8MGBV8 Carl Floyd
Kingsport, TN, USA   USA
Ah shucks. I can eat ,drink, text, change the song on my MP3 player, and drive with my knees while blasting down the Interstate at 80+. Some people are just uncoordinated. grinning smiley

. Hide this ad & support a small business by becoming a Gold Supporting Member
Was this post helpful or interesting?
Yes No Thank
peterh1960 Avatar
peterh1960 peter Hopkins
Lake Elsinore, CA, USA   USA
I was never really happy with the cup holder mod on my MG, last year I ditched it and upgraded the look of the centre dash.
Moved the retro radio down, added 2 smaller speakers on an aluminum face plate.
Then put a Smith's volt meter and clock up above, much prefer the cleaner look, I'll stop off somewhere for a coffee winking smiley

Attachments:
20190311_102009.jpg    51.1 KB
20190311_102009.jpg

Yes No Thank
Nicecar Avatar
Nicecar Gary (ex "Harv") G
Victoria, BC, Canada   CAN
1980 MG MGB "Red On Red On Red"
Does anybody else use a 12v cup?
Handy for my long drive in the boonies.

Yes No Thank
V8MGBV8 Avatar
V8MGBV8 Carl Floyd
Kingsport, TN, USA   USA
In reply to # 3907005 by Nicecar Does anybody else use a 12v cup?

Nope. Made my beer warm. eye popping smiley

+1 Yes No Thank
little G Avatar
little G Charlie T
queensland, QLD, Australia   AUS
1964 MG MGB "Little G"

Attachments:
12 volt hot coffee on the go.jpg    36.3 KB
12 volt hot coffee on the go.jpg

Yes No Thank
tvrgeek Avatar
tvrgeek Scott S
Hillsborough, North Carolinia, USA   USA
1965 MG MGB
I remember an interview with the then chairman of Jaguar. The press was criticizing him for no cup holders in their sedan. He seemed very confused and wanted to know why on earth someone would want to drink when they should be driving.

No cup holder in the B, but I guess I will have to figure it out for the Stag.

Cogito ergo sum periculoso

Yes No Thank
warekl Avatar
warekl Silver Member Keith Ware
White Bear Lake Mn, USA   USA
1973 MG MGB GT
1979 MG MGB
Sweet!!!

In reply to # 3906837 by peterh1960 I was never really happy with the cup holder mod on my MG, last year I ditched it and upgraded the look of the centre dash.
Moved the retro radio down, added 2 smaller speakers on an aluminum face plate.
Then put a Smith's volt meter and clock up above, much prefer the cleaner look, I'll stop off somewhere for a coffee winking smiley

USMC ... Semper Fi
79 RB Lowered, HS4s by Dave Braun & "Schlemmerized" 25D Dizzy, 9.5:1 CR, Mild Performance Cam, 18V with OD Tranny.

73 GT in Black Tulip

Yes No Thank
V8MGBV8 Avatar
V8MGBV8 Carl Floyd
Kingsport, TN, USA   USA
Charlie,

Last time I saw one of those was in the 60s. My grandad had one. I think it was 110v AC. How many amps does the 12vdc draw?

In reply to # 3907228 by tvrgeek I remember an interview with the then chairman of Jaguar. The press was criticizing him for no cup holders in their sedan. He seemed very confused and wanted to know why on earth someone would want to drink when they should be driving.

What about the passenger(s)?

Yes No Thank
little G Avatar
little G Charlie T
queensland, QLD, Australia   AUS
1964 MG MGB "Little G"
I do not know Carl ?..I don't possess it ...I file my own list and pics of things I consider getting or am interested in on E.Bay ...that was one of them ...I never got it ...it is probably gone now ...I dare say any element type heater such as that would draw a large amount ..

In reply to # 3907290 by V8MGBV8 Charlie,

Last time I saw one of those was in the 60s. My grandad had one. I think it was 110v AC. How many amps does the 12vdc draw?

In reply to # 3907228 by tvrgeek I remember an interview with the then chairman of Jaguar. The press was criticizing him for no cup holders in their sedan. He seemed very confused and wanted to know why on earth someone would want to drink when they should be driving.

What about the passenger(s)?

Yes No Thank
Sarge101st Avatar
Sarge101st Silver Member Brian S
Carlisle, PA, USA   USA
1977 Triumph Spitfire 1500 "Biggles"
1979 MG Midget 1500 "Grrr"
1980 MG MGB "Piddles"
Very low-brow, but an old washer-bottle bracket (Moss 361-245) and a couple sheet-metal screws to screw it down behind the passenger seat. Its the one you see in earlier Midget engine bays and Triumph TRs and Spits.

Cheap and cheerful, holds a water bottle for those hot days. Shown behind the seat in my Spit, there are also screwholes in the side so other options are there for doors, floors, wherever.

Offence is the opiate of the humourless.

Attachments:
image.jpg    50.5 KB
image.jpg

+1 Yes No Thank
  steve78b thanked Sarge101st for this post
Soling2003 Avatar
Soling2003 Silver Member Gary M
Pahoa, HI, USA   USA
John, that console looks great. I’m in the process of building one very similar. But I used plywood for the sides instead of recovering the plastic one. And only put team where the radio and the next one down for the switches. Padded the sides really well too. Do you have any learsnce issues with the drink and shifting?

Yes No Thank
daharleydude Avatar
daharleydude Silver Member John K
Brevard, NC, USA   USA
Gary, I do not have any issues with it. When I made it, I made sure that the cup holder was positioned where it would not interfere with anything in the console or more important,
in shifting. (It's like it's not there when shifting.) I basically use it for holding my cell phone in the upright position where I can read the screen and see what's going on, and not so much for holding. drinks. I don't usually `drink anything in the B, unless I'm sitting at a Sonic or something. Now, having said that, having a nice cold one AFTER a cruise in the B is a different story, but I won't get into that. smiling smiley)

Yes No Thank
Brando-WMGC-OR Avatar
Brando-WMGC-OR Brandon Fox
Tualatin, OR, USA   USA
1973 MG MGB MkIII "Concord"
1974 MG MGB GT "Sweetie P"
In response to what Doug in Seattle says about how worthless the black plastic dual cup holder is:

Yes, it IS too light. Used as it is sold, it rattles around while driving and doesn't have the stability to hold a heavy (ie, full) cup, bottle, or soda can when you go around a corner sharply. My solution was to fill the entire unit with Plaster of Paris, which gives the entire cup holder suitable mass. Then use contact spray adhesive to glue a piece of felt or thin rubber matting to the bottom, to keep the plaster from scratching up the console. Done this way, I guarantee the cup holder won't move or rattle while you're driving.

As to the second issue, the fact that the gearshift lever bumps into your beverage container while shifting....yes this is true, but honestly not that big a deal. It varies greatly with what size container is in the holder; water bottles and soda cans don't impact as much as some big mega-coffee cup. And yes, although it may be annoying to have that contact happening when your shifting through the gears, when you're out on the open highways and bi-ways on a long road trip, it's nice to have a secure place to set your drink. If I'm on a long road trip and I have a small cooler in the car with water, snacks, etc, and I had to hold my water bottle between my knees or jammed between my leg and the door, THAT would annoy me more than an occasional bump with the gearshift.

And lastly, the black plastic cup holder actually looks good sitting there in front of the gearshift lever, as if it was always designed to be there. Now that I have one in both of my B's, I think they look naked or awkward somehow when not there. And on a personal note, in one of the cars, it covers up a large crack in the plastic next to the chrome trim ring, and was certainly less expensive than replacing that console piece.

So, to each his own, but really...it's not that big a deal. Get over it.

Brando

Yes No Thank
B-Beep Cori F
Chesapeake, VA, USA   USA
I have one of those dual cupholders in my 78 B and I agree with you on all points. It looks good, works and although it isn't perfect (shifting), it's far better than others I've seen. I'm not keen on reaching down to the floor or somewhere over on the passenger's side for my drink. Love the plaster of Paris idea to heavy it up. Going to do that!

Yes No Thank
Fairfield, CA, USA   USA
Clark and Clark's version works well enough. Fits ahead of the shifter and doesn't move around. But it won't keep a tall coffee from falling over in the twisties.

Perhaps coffee and twisties don't mix<G>.

1973 Pale Primrose Roadster. A nice 10-footer!
SUs, Datsun 5-speed

Yes No Thank

To add your reply, or post your own questions

Registration is FREE and takes less than a minute!

Having trouble posting or changing forum settings?
Read the Forum Help (FAQ) or contact the webmaster