AutoShrine Sponsor
AutoShrine Sponsor

MGB567 Avatar
MGB567 Gold Member Barrie Braxton
Sunshine Coast, Queensland, Australia   AUS
1966 MG MGB MkI "Money Guzzler"
1979 MG MGB GT V8 Conversion "Darkside"
In reply to # 3888116 by riley1489
In reply to # 3888086 by pinkyponk Bruce, My original 18V is stored under my Bugeye bonnet. I found an early 5 main GB engine to build up for my MGA/overdrive project but ended up swapping it into my 73.

now how am I supposed to know that?? grinning smiley smileys with beer

B

Must be different 18GBs maybe depending on market (or how far into the GB production) as no #13 here on mine.

Convertible: CKD 11/66 first registered 8/5/67. Owned since 3/77. 90% original sheet metal. 18GB +40 balanced with almost all new internals. Peter Burgess big valve fast road head. Piper 285. Fidanza FW. Basil's followers and pushrods. TR7clutch. TT exhaust. ARP everywhere. 123 ign. Needham 4synchro c/r box.. Stock rebuilt/replaced suspension. Superpro bushes. New brakes all round including all pipes in SS flex. Interior redone. CAMS approved roll bar and side bars. Lots more. Hybrid of o/e and show/fast road car. Not for sale - it's my toy!

GT: UK car built/sold December '78. Stripped back to bare shell with VW Golf flared guards, flush fit front and rear valances with front guards immovable. Front and rear seams removed,Torana XU1 vents, frenched indicators front & Mk1 rear lights. Powered by 'worked' Rover 5 litre V8 (ex TVR Chimaera) with efi. T5 box. FC IFS. CCE rear attached to Salisbury axle with Quaife. All new interior with MrMikes covers on MX5 seats. Retro4 7x15 rims (zero offset) and 205/55 rubber. Colour: Jaguar Storm. Not for sale - it's my sanity!

. Hide banner ads & support this website by becoming a > Gold Supporting Member <
lewk Avatar
lewk Silver Member Keith Lewis
Cambridge, ON, Canada   CAN
Your Rover "Flame/Oil Trap" is the same idea as my home built version, as in Post #4.

had an idea to try one of the MGB V8 flame traps - they have a mesh inside. they are also a standard rangerover part # 603330. cost about £3.

oil consumption down to a pint every 900 miles.

so the trap is doing a good job of conden
sing. no negatives.

offroad4ever Avatar
offroad4ever Silver Member Chuck W.
Willamette Valley, OR, USA   USA
1979 MG MGB
Agree with Bruce's post above. I like the look and sealing function of the solid side cover, but without the oil separator it was difficult to avoid drawing oil. Tried various methods, but didn't want to add an oil catch can that I'd have to drain on occasion, so I went back to the stock covers. No issues drawing oil with the stock cover in place.

I also tried venting from the fuel pump location, and that drew a lot of oil as well.

79 LE w/OD, HS 4 SU's,
D9, Schlemmerized Dist.

. Hide banner ads & support this website by becoming a > Gold Supporting Member <
Speedracer Avatar
Speedracer Platinum Member Hap Waldrop
Greenville, SC, USA   USA
1967 MG MGB Racecar "The Biscuit"
I think I would do a leak down and for sure eliminate ring leakage. On the race car, I use Basil one piece side plate with a 1/2" barbed fitting going then via a hose to the breather catch can, that's it, other than a vented valve cover. Now mind you this engine normally gets ran at 5000-7500 rpm constantly, and the catch can hardly ever even gets a drop of oil in it. Also commonly used Grant rings that come with the County pistons, oil control ring leaves a lot to be desired in assembly, you can look at them the wrong way and you overlap the oil control ring expander, shitty design, and if that happens, then the two wiper rings can not do their job properly, and can even work their way out of the piston's ring land.

Hap Waldrop
Acme Speed Shop
864-370-3000
hapwaldrop@acmespeedshop.com

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2019-02-11 01:31 AM by Speedracer.

Member Services:
MG/ Triumph Performance Street/Race Engines - Cylinder Head Porting - Modified SU HS Carbs - DIY Engine Rebuild Kits With Free Tech Advice - VTO alloy wheels for British Sport Cars, and others
pinkyponk Avatar
pinkyponk Gold Member Adrian Page
Berwick, NS, Canada   CAN
It's gotta be blow by past the rings or too much suction on the crankcase. What else is there? Two pistons go up while 2 pistons go down... so they balance each other.

Adrian

Home built Eaton M62 Supercharger with 7.6psi boost, 8:1 compression, custom "supercharger" cam from Schneider Cams, Mikuni HSR48 Carburetor, cold air intake, ported head, matched manifolds, CB Performance computerized ignition, Fidanza 9 pound flywheel, Maxspeeding rods with Teflon wrist pin buttons.

To add your reply, or post your own questions

Registration is FREE and takes less than a minute!

Having trouble posting or changing forum settings?
Read the Forum Help (FAQ) or contact the webmaster