Moss Motors
AutoShrine Sponsor
AutoShrine Sponsor
AutoShrine Sponsor
AutoShrine Sponsor

mgcyclo Avatar
mgcyclo Tim Rich
Township of Washinghton, NJ, USA   USA
I changed the oil today an apparently had the foresight to note mileage and date of last change on the old filter.

Last change was 2/16/16 at 79,355. Today’s mileage is 84,544. That’s only 5,189 miles or approximately 1,730 per year.

I’m shocked that a car that occupies my daily thoughts is used so little. That has to change this year!

As reference I cycle about 5k per year and for work drive 40-50k...

. Hide banner ads & support this website by becoming a > Gold Supporting Member <
ohlord Avatar
ohlord Gold Member Rob C
North of Seattle, N.W., USA   USA
1957 Land Rover Series I "EYEYIYI"
1971 MG MGB
1971 MG MGB "Bedouin 2"
5K oil changes and 3 years isn't doing it any favors

"I'm a long way gone down this wild road I'm on
It's gonna take me where I'm bound
It's a long way around"

"These are the days that must happen to you"

RD2 Radar/ Electronic Warfare Technician
Vietnam 1969-1972

rocannon Avatar
rocannon Platinum Member Frank .
Clairvius Narcisse Township, Bokor, St. Kitts and Nevis   KNA
1967 MG MGB GT "GT From Hell"
1980 MG MGB "Restored By Photoshop Inc."
The solution is a driving ring. Your car is loaned out to interested forum members for one month at a time. That’ll get the yearly mileage up and ensure it stays roadworthy.

I volunteer to go first. grinning smiley

In reply to # 3889243 by mgcyclo I changed the oil today an apparently had the foresight to note mileage and date of last change on the old filter.

Last change was 2/16/16 at 79,355. Today’s mileage is 84,544. That’s only 5,189 miles or approximately 1,730 per year.

I’m shocked that a car that occupies my daily thoughts is used so little. That has to change this year!

As reference I cycle about 5k per year and for work drive 40-50k...

. . . . . . . . . .
. . . . . . . . . .
. .
. .
. .

. Hide banner ads & support this website by becoming a > Gold Supporting Member <
matt167 Matt D
Prattsville, NY, USA   USA
Think I've put 3k on my '74 since I bought it before summer last year, but I used it daily until november

Nicecar Avatar
Nicecar Gary (ex "Harv") G
Victoria, BC, Canada   CAN
1980 MG MGB "Red On Red On Red"
"As reference I cycle about 5k per year and for work drive 40-50k"

Bravo. Methinks you'll outlive your love, daily thought of.

Retired, I spent too much time watching great movies on TCM, but car (that I too think of daily) will outlive me!

mgcyclo Avatar
mgcyclo Tim Rich
The problem is having 2 hobbies. Given the choice I’d rather ride my bicycle with the limited time I have more than just about anything else. On top of that I drive all over New England from Northern NJ for work so sometimes the thought of a 2-3 hour MG drive “in my spare time“ sounds like work all over. (Irv Gordon I’m not)

I just really thought I used the car more than I have.

Rod H. Avatar
Amity, OR, USA   USA
1964 MG MGB
1968 MG MGB GT
I think you are doing great at 1730/year on your MGB. If I drove my two MGBs and one Vanagon that much each/year it would total more than I drive all four of our cars now that my wife and I are both retired.

I agree you should change the oil a bit more often though. I try to change it once a year even if a car has only had one or two tanks of fuel through it, but have occasionally stretched that a bit. But at close to 2000 miles annually I'd definitely change it.

I can't understand why people are frightened of new ideas. I'm frightened of the old ones. John Cage

'63 MGB
'68 MGBGT
'80 VW Vanagon Kombi
'09 Mazda 3 with 5 speed manual

mgcyclo Avatar
mgcyclo Tim Rich
I use full synthetic which has a 10k mile service intervals so I halved the recommended schedule. Given the limited use I’d say I was right on time.

matt167 Matt D
Prattsville, NY, USA   USA
In reply to # 3889395 by mgcyclo I use full synthetic which has a 10k mile service intervals so I halved the recommended schedule. Given the limited use I’d say I was right on time.

Actually, if you don't exceed the mileage the oil still needs to be changed at least yearly. Oil gains acidity from byproducts of combustion

Aridgerunner Avatar
Aridgerunner Silver Member Bill Bussler
Montoursville, PA, USA   USA
1956 MG MGA 1500 "The A"
1959 Triumph TR3A "The Mistress"
Actually, if you don't exceed the mileage the oil still needs to be changed at least yearly. Oil gains acidity from byproducts of combustion
[/quote]

But, if there's very little combustion, as in very little mileage, then there's very little acidic deposits in the oil. And thst leads me to a question. Is there a way to test the acid level in our engine oil?

66blacksmith Avatar
66blacksmith James Hewitt
Big Bend, WI, USA   USA
1966 MG MGB
I used to drive mine to work, 23 miles one way, including when I got bumped to second shift a couple of years before I retired. It was so much fun to drive, even in Milwaukee traffic. It ate the cam last year so I have it down now. When it's healthy again I will again be running the wheels off it. Don't let your B sit idle, they just weren't made for the garage.

ohlord Avatar
ohlord Gold Member Rob C
North of Seattle, N.W., USA   USA
1957 Land Rover Series I "EYEYIYI"
1971 MG MGB
1971 MG MGB "Bedouin 2"
It isn't a modern engine
Again you aren't doing that engine any favors
You're wasting money on the synthetic oil that still needs to be drained at factory intervals ...

In reply to # 3889395 by mgcyclo I use full synthetic which has a 10k mile service intervals so I halved the recommended schedule. Given the limited use I’d say I was right on time.

"I'm a long way gone down this wild road I'm on
It's gonna take me where I'm bound
It's a long way around"

"These are the days that must happen to you"

RD2 Radar/ Electronic Warfare Technician
Vietnam 1969-1972

Fairfield, CA, USA   USA
I only put about 2—2.4K miles a year on my B, and it earns me a discount from State Farm.

I change oil with Mobil 1 15-50 and replenish with NAPA(Valvoline) synthetic or Valvoline VR1, aiming at about 5K per change (in fact, the oil is changed more often than that during the running season by my replenishing more than a sumpfull over the season<G>winking smiley. A Chevon enginner once told me that if you leak enough, you are really changing the oil as you drive. The critical matter becomes the filter...and I use OEM-grade filters Delco, Wix, K&N, Bosche, Etc. (I have seen the mess the 75-cent filters some oil change places use when you extend changes to what the Owner's Manual says...they dissolve! Do Not Trust oil change places. Take your own OEM quality filter in and insist they use it. The oil matters less.

Due to be changed this spring when I awaken it after sleeping thru the second rainy season.

1973 Pale Primrose Roadster. A nice 10-footer!
SUs, Datsun 5-speed

tahoe36c Avatar
tahoe36c Paul Hruza
Panama City, FL, USA   USA
1969 MG MGC GT "Little Red Rocket..."
1972 MG MGB GT "Tiny Dancer"
2002 Harley-Davidson Dyna
Here we go with the theoretical oil performance discussion once again....

Show me proof of the studies to show that oil change intervals made any difference between 3K and 6K and I'll believe you. I m talking FACTS, not "well he said or she said or they said".

Explain to me in scientific factual information why I'd still have to change synthetic at the same interval as regular motor oil.

Hoopla... That is like debating whether Jack Daniels is better/worse than Jim Beam. All personal decisions that don't really make a rat's ass of difference in the real world...

There are MGB engines that have operated on cheap K-Mart oil just as long as ones on the most expensive oil available. Prove me wrong... I beg you!

Do I prefer Valvoline VR1 and a Purolator Pure One Filter? Yes of course! But it doesn't mean my engine will last any longer than any one else's...

Can you say the word, "Speculation"??? Sure... I knew you could. smileys with beer

HoosierMGB Avatar
HoosierMGB Gold Member Steve Koller
South Bend, IN, USA   USA
1976 MG MGB
Pretty sure I’ve put less than 500 miles a year in my three years of ownership. Lots of reasons why but not all of them are good. Planning on much more this year.

Steve

"Make no little plans; they have no magic to stir men's blood"
Daniel H. Burnham, Architect

1976 MGB - pretty much stock but with a few sundry deviations

To add your reply, or post your own questions

Registration is FREE and takes less than a minute!

Having trouble posting or changing forum settings?
Read the Forum Help (FAQ) or contact the webmaster