Moss Motors
AutoShrine Sponsor
AutoShrine Sponsor
AutoShrine Sponsor
AutoShrine Sponsor

Gerry Avatar
Gerry Gold Member Gerry Masterman
Prairieville, LA, USA   USA
Anyone ever consider using a TIG torch switch as an OD on/off switch? Could easily be tywrapped to the shifter just like they are tywrapped to a TIG torch.

Edit: there are multiple styles-this is the one that is on my TIG torch. Some are less intrusive

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2019-03-13 01:09 PM by Gerry.

. Hide this ad & support a small business by becoming a Gold Supporting Member

Attachments:
tig torch switch.jpg    14.4 KB
tig torch switch.jpg

Was this post helpful or interesting?
Yes No Thank
Gromit Avatar
Gromit Larry Heaps
Street, MD, USA   USA
1974 MG MGB "74 Moss"
Gerry,
I've tried for a few years to locate a push on, push off, spst, switch small enough to fit into a knob. Many are available but can't handle 6 amps. If you find a switch that will work you'll make a lot of people happy. If there's enough interest I'll do another run of knobs now that I've finished some of the "to do list".
Regards,
LHH

Yes No Thank
RAY 67 TOURER Avatar
RAY 67 TOURER Ray Marloff
Fort Bragg, CA, USA   USA
1967 MG MGB "My Girl"
An LH OD draws less than 1 amp. RAY

Yes No Thank
dickmoritz Avatar
dickmoritz Platinum Member Dick Moritz
Philly 'burbs, PA, USA   USA
What Ray said...

Dick

In reply to # 3908240 by RAY 67 TOURER An LH OD draws less than 1 amp. RAY

Errabundi Saepe, Semper Certi
(Often wrong, but always certain)

Yes No Thank
Gromit Avatar
Gromit Larry Heaps
Street, MD, USA   USA
1974 MG MGB "74 Moss"
Not to take over the thread---. I don't understand what rates what but I've spoken to many knowledgable people and the answers have varied about Amps.. Most wonder why there isn't a relay in the circuit , so I'm going with the highest figure.
If you find a suitable short, ROUND, switch PM me or start a new thread. You'll make a lot of people happy. I know there should be a relay-not a popular solution.
LHH

Yes No Thank
  EricV thanked Gromit for this post
Gerald O Avatar
Gerald O Gerald O'Docharty
Wake Forest, North Carolina, USA   USA
1972 MG MGB GT
1978 MG MGB
Measure the coil resistance. Divide your battery voltage by the resistance, and you will have the amps. No guessing needed.

Yes No Thank
Gerald O Avatar
Gerald O Gerald O'Docharty
Wake Forest, North Carolina, USA   USA
1972 MG MGB GT
1978 MG MGB
Isn't that TIG switch momentary?

Yes No Thank
Steven 67GT Avatar
Steven 67GT Steven Rechter
Jackson, CA, USA   USA
The o/d solenoid draws approximately 800-900 ma. (That's 0.8-0.9 amps).

edit: BTW I installed a 2 amp in-line fuse in my o/d circuit many years ago. If the circuit drew 6 amps as you say, the fuse would have instantly opened.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2019-03-13 09:49 PM by Steven 67GT.

Yes No Thank
oleanderjoe Avatar
oleanderjoe Gold Member Joseph Baba
Fresno, CA, USA   USA
GARY: Look up "TACTILE MINI SWITCHES" @ Amazon. you can get a bag of about 100 for $10.00 YES, 100 that was NOT a TYPO. Have Fun.

In reply to # 3908089 by Gerry Anyone ever consider using a TIG torch switch as an OD on/off switch? Could easily be tywrapped to the shifter just like they are tywrapped to a TIG torch.

Edit: there are multiple styles-this is the one that is on my TIG torch. Some are less intrusive

IN ALL SUBJECTS.: For those who believe, no proof is needed. For those who don’t believe, no proof is possible.

"Strive for perfection in everything. Take the best that exists and make it better. If it doesn't exist, create it. Accept nothing nearly right or good enough"
Sir Henry Royce
co-founder of Rolls Royce .

"BENJAMIN FRANKLIN" >>(Expanded) The bitterness of poor quality (or Crappy Workmenship) remains LONG AFTER the Sweet Taste of Low Price is forgotten.

Member Services:
Yes No Thank
Diver648 Gold Member Warren Siringer
Tucson, AZ, USA   USA
1967 MG MGB
1967 MG MGB GT
1969 MG MGB MkII
1971 MG MGB GT    & more
My 67 with a black label came with 2 micro switches taped to the shifter just below the shift knob. The wire was only 18 guage speaker wire and worked fine. I saved the shifter as an example of innovation. Very easy to use. Actually, the motor and transmission were in a 74 Austin Marina that went into the 67.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2019-03-14 09:44 PM by Diver648.

Yes No Thank
ranger240 Avatar
ranger240 M K
province, province, USA   USA
My overdrive has is a simple rocker switch zip tied to the shifter. It wasn’t my first choice but it works.

Some people like the wiper stalk switch but I really like being able to downshift 4th/od to third in one move with one hand.

“Down and out” is easy to see and feel to make sure it’s off when going into reverse

Attachments:
2DEDDE47-0CD6-46F7-8F71-E01F064260F9.jpeg    35.2 KB
2DEDDE47-0CD6-46F7-8F71-E01F064260F9.jpeg

9E3465F6-27EC-4844-8507-53D064B7F97A.jpeg    43.1 KB
Sign In or Register to view this photo
Yes No Thank
Paul755 Paul H
Fairfax, VA, USA   USA
1974 MG MGB MkIII
1979 MG MGB MkIV "Nemesis"
Like this one ?
https://www.ebay.com/itm/MGB-Premium-Quality-OVERDRIVE-Walnut-burl-shift-knob-Gloss/254065787414?hash=item3b27804216:g:2usAAOSwVCpcORiD&frcectupt=true
or
https://www.ebay.com/itm/MGB-1977-1980-Quality-American-Black-Walnut-shift-knob-with-overdrive-switch/252347846352?_trkparms=aid%3D222007%26algo%3DSIM.MBE%26ao%3D2%26asc%3D20131003132420%26meid%3D9df792c60806485fbf4b89aec96311ea%26pid%3D100005%26rk%3D5%26rkt%3D12%26sd%3D254065787414%26itm%3D252347846352&_trksid=p2047675.c100005.m1851

No relay needed. 2 or 3A Fuse YES

In reply to # 3908342 by Gromit Not to take over the thread---. I don't understand what rates what but I've spoken to many knowledgable people and the answers have varied about Amps.. Most wonder why there isn't a relay in the circuit , so I'm going with the highest figure.
If you find a suitable short, ROUND, switch PM me or start a new thread. You'll make a lot of people happy. I know there should be a relay-not a popular solution.
LHH

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2019-03-17 09:39 AM by Paul755.

Yes No Thank
Donthuis Avatar
Donthuis Don van Riet
Rijswijk, ZH, Netherlands   NLD
The steadystate current is only 800mAmps, but because the solenoid has a high self-inductance any switch being used to (de-)activate the OD undergoes voltage surges and sparking on its contacts.
It is the reason I put yet another relay in at the rear, close to the bulkhead: better renew a cheap ISO relay from time to time than an expensive stalkswitch (and I added a 5 Amps inline fuse as well)

So you are not the only one on MGE thinking about relays here, welcome to the club smileys with beer

In reply to # 3908342 by Gromit Not to take over the thread---. I don't understand what rates what but I've spoken to many knowledgable people and the answers have varied about Amps.. Most wonder why there isn't a relay in the circuit , so I'm going with the highest figure.
LHH

Yes No Thank
jimb Avatar
jimb Jim Brown
San Francisco Bay Area, USA   USA
1967 MG MGB
In reply to # 3908089 by Gerry Anyone ever consider using a TIG torch switch as an OD on/off switch? Could easily be tywrapped to the shifter just like they are tywrapped to a TIG torch.

Does this mean you bought a TIG welder? You were just talking about that a month ago. What welder did you choose?

Yes No Thank
Gerry Avatar
Gerry Gold Member Gerry Masterman
Prairieville, LA, USA   USA
Yep, bought a Alpha 200X. Has all the features I was interested in and was $720 on Amazon. Now the hard part-learning to use them all. Back in the 70's when I was in trade school all we had were stick welders so my education on TIG is limited but I loved O/A welding so that makes things easier

Yes No Thank

To add your reply, or post your own questions

Registration is FREE and takes less than a minute!

Having trouble posting or changing forum settings?
Read the Forum Help (FAQ) or contact the webmaster