New member went shopping.

Moss Motors
AutoShrine Sponsor
AutoShrine Sponsor
AutoShrine Sponsor
AutoShrine Sponsor

DaleH Dale H
Wildest Eastern AB, AB, Canada   CAN
Hi all. I've just joined and have been enjoying all the MGB related discussions here.

I currently don't have an MGB but did have a 1963 roadster many years ago that I bought as a basket case and eventually brought back to life by replacing the sills, floors, etc.- rebuilt the engine, and all the usual other stuff we all do to our cars. My mistake is that I left it out where it could be seen and it caught the attention of a neighbour who offered me a generous amount of money for it. Our kids were small then, and frankly, we needed the money, so I let her go.

So the other day I came across the old insurance slips for my "B" and decided to start looking around a bit online with the hopes of finding something I could drive now without needing to do a lot of work immediately at a decent price. Sure there are some really nicely restored cars out there but I really can't spend that much on a hobby car.

The other day I was driving past a used car lot and lo and behold there was a 1980 MGB sitting in the corner. I stopped and right away I could tell this was no show car. It had rust bubbling on the left front wing at the top where it meets the windshield fascia. The boot lid was distorted because someone tried to shut it without releasing the latch, the boot smelled strongly of gas. The sales guy was decent and agreed to put it on a lift for an under body inspection. The front end was terribly corroded and it was clear that the 48000kn on the odometer was in no way accurate. The bottom looked only ok, decent sills but the rot was pushing out the lower rear fender panels and would likely affect the rear sills- that would need to be corrected eventually. The engine was a bit of a shocker. The emission controls appeared to have been disconnected but the components were still in place and there was a loose hose flopping around the engine bay with a fuel filter on it that supposedly was for crankcase ventilation. The engine also seemed to be leaking oil from the crankcase rear seal but I was told that it was "just the tappet covers", hmmm. The crankcase oil was absolutely filthy. In my mind I just could not imagine why a lot with service facilities and a mechanic could not change the oil and do a few basic fixes to make it saleable. I asked the sales guy and he said that the car has been there for nearly two years. Lol.

In the end they wanted $7000 CAN for it and when I made an offer, even going as high as $6000(just to see what they'd do), I was shown to my car and told that a guy was coming in from the west coast to look at it. Yeah, sure...

So after this experience, I'm wondering if I might have unreasonable expectations of what prices are like today. That car had an awful lot of problems to be worth $7000, non-negotiable, or is it worth that on today's market?

Maybe some of my fellow Canadians can give me an idea of what is a reasonable price for an MGB (year does not matter especially) in decent drivable (as in maintained) condition out here in western Canada. It doesn't need to be perfect mechanically but I'd sure want to avoid another major rust repair job at this time in my life. Or am I destined to buy another basket case and go through all that again in my old age? Lol.

Thanks in advance.

. Hide this ad & support a small business by becoming a Gold Supporting Member
Was this post helpful or interesting?
Yes No Thank
ken472 Avatar
ken472 Ken Petersen
Luverne, MN, USA   USA
First of all Welcome. I think if you look at the cars listed for sale on this site you will get a good idea of what the good cars are going for. There are deals to be had. A friend of mine hear has a 73 B he wants 10k for with a broken windshield and dented fender. Not typical. I saw one just like it in great shape sell for 5k

Yes No Thank
Stu Rodger Avatar
Oliver, BC, Canada   CAN
1980 MG MGB "Dorian"
Welcome Dale. The car you describe sounds a little expensive even for Canada. Have a look at Drakes in Kelowna. There is a pretty decent looking 1970 for $7600.

There are plenty of cars for sale in the states. check out the cars for sale forum on this site for an idea of prices. It might be easier for you to go south or have one shipped to the border.

Stu

http://www.drakesbritishmotors.com/forsale-mgs.htm

Yes No Thank
chasloew Charles Loew
Fort Wayne, IN, USA   USA
1954 MG TF 1500
1976 MG MGB
Hi and welcome Dale, FWIW I bought a '76 5 or 6 years ago with similar problems. The rust wasn't as evident as you describe, but it is now. Engine is good, but clutch is due for an overhaul. The car had a bad shimmy due to DPO putting the front hubs together w/ parts in the wrong order. After some negotiating, it ended up at $3200 US$. So, I'd say to check around and see what's out there. My first MGB was a '64 and in retrospect I'd say to look for an early car, especially since you know what's involved in restoration. The series I cars are much nicer and worth more, but are about the same to restore. -- Chas

Yes No Thank
jjonns74 Avatar
jjonns74 Gold Member John Dailey
MacDill AFB, Tampa, FL, USA   USA
1974 MG MGB "Athena"
1974 MG MGB "Apollo"
Dale,

Not to worry, there are Many Quality MGBs available for much less $$$$.

I have two 1974 MGBs -- my offer for the car you describe would be $3500 or less --- keep looking.

John D

Yes No Thank
WESTMIC Avatar
WESTMIC Gold Member Mike W
Ottawa, ON, Canada   CAN
1967 MG MGB GT Special "Scruffy (for Now)"
1970 MG MGB GT "Arthur"
1974 MG MGB "Enid"
Welcome Dale. So glad they did not accept your $6k offer as that is way too much for what you have described.

Keep looking.

Yes No Thank
Andrew73B Avatar
Andrew73B Andrew Milne
St.-Lazare, QC, Canada   CAN
1973 MG MGB "Barbie Car"
Welcome. Yes keep looking. There are better deals out there. Good luck. MG smileys with beer

Yes No Thank
Rayia Ian Ray
Souris, MB, Canada   CAN
Welcome Dale,
I bought a 75 mgb with 90,000 miles 18 months ago for $3,000 in Manitoba. It was running and in good condition, to safety it just needed bushes. Unfortunately I decided to replace bushes, then do clutch etc. etc .once you get into it it's hard to stop! Lol.
Try your local Kijiji always some in there and there are a couple of British car garages in Calgary. I've used Auot Mann Ent Ltd for parts when out that way. Hope this helps.
Ian

Yes No Thank
greenrman Gold Member Don B
Kelowna, BC, Canada   CAN
1973 MG MGB "Oscar"
2005 BMW 3 Series Cabriolet "Sabrina"
I, honestly,.... would prefer to spend an extra $3000-$4000 on a wicked-a$$ed near-mint original or well-spent-on B than s'thing that needs a hideous amount of wk-end hours-work on. But. That is just me. (I value my time. I am getting older...55...and prefer mint originals than looking for tools.)

Thank the Lord above I came across a 1-owner original 39,400m 80-ish yr-old-man's car, that none of his family wanted (nor any of his Corvettes he was trying to sell, 5-6yrs ago). I absolutely abhor other PO's nonsense of cheap 'add-ons', and just simple-NEGLECT just to keep an OLD thing running. Many-a 66-67 Fairlane/Cyclone/Caliente convertibles with this latter nonsense. Learned my lesson.

"Tip" ? Hang IN there,...and keep enquiring to MG sites like here, or local Club B owners...about low-original owner low-original milers. Word gets out! I lucked out. And, I did so with a very respectable deal on my part, and unfortunately, on ORIG owner's part, a lower-than-good-deal (he died 6 months after sale, unbeknownst to me, to give loot to his family, before his impending death. But, sometimes there are more important things in life).

Sad, but jus tellin' the facts... HANG in there!!

-1 Yes No Thank
DaleH Dale H
Wildest Eastern AB, AB, Canada   CAN
Thanks, everyone for the warm welcome! I really appreciate it. It's nice to be back in the MGB community. Mind you, it was pre-internet when I last owned one.

And thanks, Stu, for the link to Drakes. Kinda surprised I hadn't come across it before. I know Kelowna quite well from my Old Boy Rugby days with the Antideluvians.

I'm not in any hurry and it's still early in the season around here. I do know the fall is the real time to be in the market as that's when people in this climate really need their garage space for the daily drivers. That's certainly the deal around here each fall with our two Jeeps. Luckily I also have a very large storage building that my toys (sailboat, go kart, snowmobile, etc. etc.) all fit into with lots of extra space.

I'm somewhat in agreement with Don and know the cheapest way to get a really nice MG is to get one that someone else has sunk their life savings into already. Lol. But at the same time, I'm retired, have plenty of time, so with the right car, I might be inclined to go down that road again. Ideally it'll be somewhere in the middle with a car I can enjoy for a year or two and then tuck in and see what needs doing with it. When looking at that rubber bumper car I was actually pleased that I wasn't very sentimental about it and really was able to point out all the flaws and shortcomings that I found. Though, I nearly melted when I heard that familiar engine note... man, that brought back memories so I'm probably afflicted for life.

If the "blessed event" actually happens, and I do find a car, you guys will be the first to know. Well, after my wife anyway.

Dale

Yes No Thank
melbaver Avatar
melbaver Gold Member Chris Howells
Carrington, NSW, Australia   AUS
1968 MG MGB "Moneypit"
2012 Dodge Journey "Another Shopping Trolley"
Dale, go back and offer them $4k for it, just to underline what a pig of a machine they were trying to lump you with.

Chris Howells

1968 MGB Purchased already dis-assembled but which is largely back together so I'm a lot less ignorant.

Yes No Thank
V8MGBV8 Avatar
V8MGBV8 Carl Floyd
Kingsport, TN, USA   USA
I wouldn't give $2K for that one.

Yes No Thank
melbaver Avatar
melbaver Gold Member Chris Howells
Carrington, NSW, Australia   AUS
1968 MG MGB "Moneypit"
2012 Dodge Journey "Another Shopping Trolley"
In reply to # 3909610 by V8MGBV8 I wouldn't give $2K for that one.

OK $1500 then.

Chris Howells

1968 MGB Purchased already dis-assembled but which is largely back together so I'm a lot less ignorant.

Yes No Thank
Eteamjack Avatar
Eteamjack Silver Member Jack Barth
Placentia, calif, USA   USA
1974 MG MGB "Old Yeller 7D4MGB"
Every where I look there are better opportunities. I recently purchased my 74 for 7k. Was in very good cosmetic
condition, but still spent 2k making it reasonably dependable. I should have looked a little harder and spent a little less initially.

Yes No Thank
tampaguy Avatar
tampaguy Jack Shea
Elgin, OR, USA   USA
If the dealership is not offering numerous British cars on their lot RUN away fast ! Most used car dealers today have no idea what a good or bad British car is. All they are interested in is the $. The old rule is still correct, buy the one without RUST , all the other stuff is easy to correct.

Yes No Thank

To add your reply, or post your own questions

Registration is FREE and takes less than a minute!

Having trouble posting or changing forum settings?
Read the Forum Help (FAQ) or contact the webmaster