AutoShrine Sponsor
AutoShrine Sponsor

LaVerne Avatar
LaVerne LaVerne Downey
Fruita, CO, USA   USA
1954 MG TF "Green Hornet"
1969 MG MGB
1979 Triumph TR8 "Wedgie"
I bought a 3/4" bar from Moss a few years ago and it wasn't correct and I sent it back after confirming the other 3/4" bars they had in stock were built the same way. When mounted it would push the link back at a severe angle and into the bump stop bracket.

Bought one from BPNW after confirming some measurements with them first. The welding was pretty unimpressive on both and looks to have been made at the same location.

. Hide banner ads & support this website by becoming a > Gold Supporting Member <

Attachments:
1969 MGB 036.JPG    39.1 KB
1969 MGB 036.JPG

mgv8glen Avatar
mgv8glen Gold Member Glenn Towery
Dover, DE, USA   USA
I have the same problem on my GTs. Turn the wheel left or right, lock, the sway bar & rack gator mash & in time the gator starts leaking oil. The fix I see is adding 1/2 to 3/4" to the link that goes from the lower A arm to the sway bar to hold the sway bar up where the rack will not hit the sway bar. OR don't turn to lock!

uktrumpetman Avatar
uktrumpetman Nigel A
near Worcester, Worcestershire, UK   GBR
Update

.My neighbour and I explored all possibilities this morning and have concluded that the ARB not fit for purpose

I am going to refit the original with new bushes. Need to order a new set of steering rack gaiters as both are holed.

Receipt kept for the 3/4 - will be retuning it to seller.

All the best

trumpet

. Hide banner ads & support this website by becoming a > Gold Supporting Member <
rocannon Avatar
rocannon Platinum Member Frank .
Clairvius Narcisse Township, Bokor, St. Kitts and Nevis   KNA
1967 MG MGB GT "GT From Hell"
1980 MG MGB "Restored By Photoshop Inc."
While you have the two out, compare them. Be interesting to see.

In reply to # 3889053 by uktrumpetman Update

.My neighbour and I explored all possibilities this morning and have concluded that the ARB not fit for purpose

I am going to refit the original with new bushes. Need to order a new set of steering rack gaiters as both are holed.

Receipt kept for the 3/4 - will be retuning it to seller.

All the best

trumpet

. . . . . . . . . .
. . . . . . . . . .
. .
. .
. .

uktrumpetman Avatar
uktrumpetman Nigel A
Good idea Frank - I'll take a photo and post it here during the week and we can all discuss in depth

Also what is the standard size for a RBumpered 1978 B GT anti roll bar? I've measured it at 0.436 inches - 7/16? Sound about correct?

BTW I forgot to thanks everyone that took the time to post - really appreciated.. Just got to top up the swear box in cash ready for the next episode that these lovely vehicles throw at us

All the best

rocannon Avatar
Moss lists a 5/8" bar. In this forum recall seeing 9/16".

Just measured the GT at 0.64". The bar, however, looks newish; probably been replaced at some point.

In reply to # 3889163 by uktrumpetman Good idea Frank - I'll take a photo and post it here during the week and we can all discuss in depth

Also what is the standard size for a RBumpered 1978 B GT anti roll bar? I've measured it at 0.436 inches - 7/16? Sound about correct?

BTW I forgot to thanks everyone that took the time to post - really appreciated.. Just got to top up the swear box in cash ready for the next episode that these lovely vehicles throw at us

All the best

. . . . . . . . . .
. . . . . . . . . .
. .
. .
. .

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2019-02-10 12:54 PM by rocannon.

chris Avatar
chris Platinum Member Chris Roop
Pendleton, OR, USA   USA
I think stock was 9/16". Boy you do move around Frank.

Member Services:
Used English car parts.
PB49 Avatar
PB49 Peter B
Marlow, Buckinghamshire, UK   GBR
1978 MG MGB
Nigel. Here is a photo of my 3/4" ARB. This one fitted without any problems. Is it the same shape as yours? It would seem to bend less severely away from the end.

Attachments:
IMG_0795.JPG    58.1 KB
IMG_0795.JPG

rocannon Avatar
Ha! I’m retired, and it’s too cold and wet out to go outside. What else am I going to do... start putting out fires?moon

In reply to # 3889254 by chris I think stock was 9/16". Boy you do move around Frank.

. . . . . . . . . .
. . . . . . . . . .
. .
. .
. .

V8MGBV8 Avatar
V8MGBV8 Carl Floyd
Kingsport, TN, USA   USA
Early B front anti-sway bar was 9/16". Late B ('77-'80) was 5/8" with 11/16" rear bar.

uktrumpetman Avatar
uktrumpetman Nigel A
Hi again
update

Original ARB newly bushed up with eye bushes and poly bracket mount bushes - ran out of time today so refit later in the week.

New steering rack gaiters fitted, track rod ends able to be reused. Ready to fix up later.

The standard size for a UK 1978 BGT is 5/8"

Full refund on the 3/4"

Thanks to all for your help, should be ready to fit new bearings, discs and 4pot calipers at the weekend (which was where I was a week ago!)

As promised here's some pictures

All the best Nigel

Attachments:
IMG_2028.JPG    55.9 KB
IMG_2028.JPG

IMG_2026.JPG    74.9 KB
Sign In or Register to view this photo
IMG_2027.JPG    65.9 KB
Sign In or Register to view this photo
oleanderjoe Avatar
oleanderjoe Gold Member Joseph Baba
Fresno, CA, USA   USA
NIGEL: Looks like they did not use a big enough "DOG" when they bent the leg ??????smileys with beer

In reply to # 3890393 by uktrumpetman Hi again
update

Original ARB newly bushed up with eye bushes and poly bracket mount bushes - ran out of time today so refit later in the week.

New steering rack gaiters fitted, track rod ends able to be reused. Ready to fix up later.

The standard size for a UK 1978 BGT is 5/8"

Full refund on the 3/4"

Thanks to all for your help, should be ready to fit new bearings, discs and 4pot calipers at the weekend (which was where I was a week ago!)

As promised here's some pictures

All the best Nigel

IN ALL SUBJECTS.: For those who believe, no proof is needed. For those who don’t believe, no proof is possible.

"Strive for perfection in everything. Take the best that exists and make it better. If it doesn't exist, create it. Accept nothing nearly right or good enough"
Sir Henry Royce
co-founder of Rolls Royce .

"BENJAMIN FRANKLIN" >>(Expanded) The bitterness of poor quality (or Crappy Workmenship) remains LONG AFTER the Sweet Taste of Low Price is forgotten.

Member Services:
rocannon Avatar
Confused. One bar looks new, the other old. New looking bar is bushed and from that detail is the oiginal bar. But old looking bar has the bracket mount bushes, and eyes look like what I’d expect on an original bar.

. . . . . . . . . .
. . . . . . . . . .
. .
. .
. .

ClayJ Avatar
ClayJ Silver Member Clay Johnston
Mt. Olive, MS, USA   USA
1972 MG MGB
I agree, looks like the upward kink that would clear the tie-rod is missing from the new bar in post 26, third picture down.

spikemichael Avatar
spikemichael Platinum Member Michael Caputo
Ocean Shores, WA, USA   USA
1973 MG MGB "Freebie"
1973 MG MGB
1974 MG MGB "Spike"
1979 MG MGB "MegaBeanie"    & more
In reply to # 3890572 by ClayJ I agree, looks like the upward kink that would clear the tie-rod is missing from the new bar in post 26, third picture down.

also more severe initial (innermost two) bends. Something fishy in Worcester and it isn't fish and chips.

Michael J. Caputo
'79 RBB and '73 CBB owner with extensive experience in 12v Audio System design and installation.
Vendor of Regalia and Promotional Products. Forum Member with a warped sense of humor.

Member Services:
Call me at 978-249-5760 PST for help with your Weber DGV Carburetor, questions about the calendar, or just to talk MGBs! Send high resolution photo submissions for next year's calendar to 2020photos@mgbcalendar.com

To add your reply, or post your own questions

Registration is FREE and takes less than a minute!

Having trouble posting or changing forum settings?
Read the Forum Help (FAQ) or contact the webmaster

Join The Club

Sign in to ask questions, share photos, and access all website features

Your Cars

1954 MG TF

Text Size

Larger Smaller
Reset Save

Sponsor Links