Moss Motors
AutoShrine Sponsor
AutoShrine Sponsor
AutoShrine Sponsor
AutoShrine Sponsor

uktrumpetman Avatar
uktrumpetman Nigel A
near Worcester, Worcestershire, UK   GBR
Front suspension rebuilt - all good, thought I might as well put on new track rod ends, steering rack gaiters while I was there.

I found a 3/4 inch antiroll bar on ebay - good price and now fitted.

Bearings next - reassemble and ready for the UK spring BUT topped up the rack with oil today and noticed that both of the gaiters are damaged as they have been forced against the knuckle of the rack and the antiroll bar on full lock while testing .

They car is jacked up, I have not run it yet, nor lowered it while doing the work

Any ideas what to do, check etc.. I have filled up my swear box so I'm in credit for a good few hours maybe a daysmiling smiley

All the best - btw the garage is a Brexit free zone!!

uktrumpetman

. Hide banner ads & support this website by becoming a > Gold Supporting Member <
PB49 Avatar
PB49 Peter B
Marlow, Buckinghamshire, UK   GBR
1978 MG MGB
Nigel, some photos would help.

dryden Avatar
dryden Clive Dryden-Chouen
Gloucester, Forest of Dean, UK   GBR
Is it possible that it could be upside down ?

. Hide banner ads & support this website by becoming a > Gold Supporting Member <
uktrumpetman Avatar
uktrumpetman Nigel A
Pictures as reuested

Cheers

Attachments:
mgb.jpg    28.7 KB
mgb.jpg

uktrumpetman Avatar
uktrumpetman Nigel A
Picture 2

Not upside down not angled like the original. it is a David Manners product.

Might it give more clearance when placed on the floor and the weight of the car and springs come in to play?

Cheers

Attachments:
mgb2.jpg    28.6 KB
mgb2.jpg

riley1489 Avatar
riley1489 Gold Member Bruce H
Great White North, QC, Canada   CAN
1953 Jaguar XK120
1959 Riley 1.5 "King George"
1973 MG MGB
Something amiss for sure. Is the link vertical?
Perhaps give the vendor a call?

B

PS: although my photo shows the steering straight ahead, the steering tie rod/gaiter should never encounter the ARB with load on the suspension .

Check your ego Amigo!

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2019-02-09 03:10 PM by riley1489.

Attachments:
BH_trunnion assy.jpg    46.9 KB
BH_trunnion assy.jpg

PB49 Avatar
PB49 Peter B
Marlow, Buckinghamshire, UK   GBR
1978 MG MGB
Nigel, as you can see from Bruce's photo the ARB and steering rack gaiter should be well clear of each other. Can you post a photo with a similar view to Bruce's?

oleanderjoe Avatar
oleanderjoe Gold Member Joseph Baba
Fresno, CA, USA   USA
NIGEL: What is the length of the "Drop Links" It usually is KIND of close with the car jacked up and the suspension at full "Droop" I would let it down on the ground or on some 2x6's and see what it looks like. smileys with beer

In reply to # 3888593 by uktrumpetman Front suspension rebuilt - all good, thought I might as well put on new track rod ends, steering rack gaiters while I was there.

I found a 3/4 inch antiroll bar on ebay - good price and now fitted.

Bearings next - reassemble and ready for the UK spring BUT topped up the rack with oil today and noticed that both of the gaiters are damaged as they have been forced against the knuckle of the rack and the antiroll bar on full lock while testing .

They car is jacked up, I have not run it yet, nor lowered it while doing the work

Any ideas what to do, check etc.. I have filled up my swear box so I'm in credit for a good few hours maybe a daysmiling smiley

All the best - btw the garage is a Brexit free zone!!

uktrumpetman

IN ALL SUBJECTS.: For those who believe, no proof is needed. For those who don’t believe, no proof is possible.

"Strive for perfection in everything. Take the best that exists and make it better. If it doesn't exist, create it. Accept nothing nearly right or good enough"
Sir Henry Royce
co-founder of Rolls Royce .

"BENJAMIN FRANKLIN" >>(Expanded) The bitterness of poor quality (or Crappy Workmenship) remains LONG AFTER the Sweet Taste of Low Price is forgotten.

Member Services:
uktrumpetman Avatar
uktrumpetman Nigel A
Hi
Photos attached

Attachments:
IMG_2025.JPG    53.2 KB
IMG_2025.JPG

IMG_2022.JPG    44.3 KB
Sign In or Register to view this photo
riley1489 Avatar
1953 Jaguar XK120
1973 MG MGB

Check your ego Amigo!

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2019-02-10 06:19 AM by riley1489.

uktrumpetman Avatar
uktrumpetman Nigel A
Eh?

Only posted what you see under my user name - unless the MGB elves have changed the car in the garage in between posting, the camera ain't telling lies!

Cheers

riley1489 Avatar
1953 Jaguar XK120
1973 MG MGB

Check your ego Amigo!

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2019-02-10 06:19 AM by riley1489.

uktrumpetman Avatar
uktrumpetman Nigel A
OK

Peter B asked - "Can you post a photo with a similar view to Bruce's?" So that's what you see - Steering straight ahead etc.

The car has no hubs, disc or bearings fitted atm, so I will have to muck about with some wood and trolley jacks tomorrow

Cheers

trumpet

V8MGBV8 Avatar
V8MGBV8 Carl Floyd
Kingsport, TN, USA   USA
You sure about the application for this bar? It does not seem to have the correct bend for an MGB.

TonyV Avatar
TonyV Tony V
Rutherford, NJ, USA   USA
1974 MG MGB
Ditto. Might be the wrong part. You purchased it on eBay?

In reply to # 3888763 by V8MGBV8 You sure about the application for this bar? It does not seem to have the correct bend for an MGB.

To add your reply, or post your own questions

Registration is FREE and takes less than a minute!

Having trouble posting or changing forum settings?
Read the Forum Help (FAQ) or contact the webmaster