The all-new Front Page News Feed is now live   Read the announcement
MGExp

MGB & GT Forum

NAMGBR Vistors: Michigan Turnarounds and other fun facts.

Moss Motors
AutoShrine Sponsor
AutoShrine Sponsor
AutoShrine Sponsor
AutoShrine Sponsor

BFC Avatar
BFC Ben Clark
Allegan, MI, USA   USA
1980 MG MGB "Kilr B"
1980 MG MGB MkIV
I know it is a little bit early to start a thread on MG 2019 but I was driving yesterday and had to use a "Michigan Turnaround".

Those of you visiting our fine state from elsewhere may not be familiar with a Michigan Turnaround. Basically, you can't turn left at certain major intersections. You have to go past the intersection and use a designated U turn spot to turn around and then turn right (since you are now headed the opposite direction from when you started the whole process). I find them annoying for the most part, but my friends in law enforcement say they're great, that they save lives and prevent lots of accidents. I'll take their word for it.

In any case, Wikipedia has a decent diagram for you.

Speaking of law enforcement and also for you out-of-staters (especially those of you from, say, Washington, Colorado, California, Oregon, and Canada): Michigan recently legalized the use of recreational marijuana... so it is now legal to possess or grow small amounts, BUT you cannot buy it yet without a medical card for it and you probably wouldn't want to smoke it in a public area even if you were able to somehow obtain some.

So... weird left turns and quasi-legal drugs. Pure Michigan.

I don't know. It's always smoked like that/made that sound/done that.

. Hide this ad & support a small business by becoming a Gold Supporting Member

Attachments:
images_pure-michigan-logo-2-rsc.jpg    5.9 KB
images_pure-michigan-logo-2-rsc.jpg

Was this post helpful or interesting?
Yes No Thank
mowog1 Avatar
mowog1 Gold Member Rick Ingram
Saint Joseph, IL, USA   USA
1969 MG MGC "Vicky"
1972 MG MGB "Mallard"
1974 MG MGB GT V8 Conversion "The V8"
1978 MG MGB "Maggie"    & more
https://www.mgexp.com/forum/mg-2019-event-forum.87/

smiling smiley

1969 MGC - 1972 MGB - 1974&1/2 MGB/GT V8 conversion - 1978 MGB

mowog1@aol.com

Member Services:
Pieces of Eight! has provided gas-charged bonnet & bootlid strut kits for the MGB/MGC and hatch kits for the MGB/GT-MGC/GT since 1996. We have recently added MG Midget bonnet and bootlid kits to inventory. Contact Rick at: mowog1@aol.com
+1 Yes No Thank
V8MGBV8 Avatar
V8MGBV8 Carl Floyd
Kingsport, TN, USA   USA
Gonna be a Smoke-in? devil smiley

Yes No Thank
BFC Avatar
BFC Ben Clark
Allegan, MI, USA   USA
1980 MG MGB "Kilr B"
1980 MG MGB MkIV
In reply to # 3907284 by V8MGBV8 Gonna be a Smoke-in? devil smiley

LOL. Knock yourself out! I'm more worried about folks enjoying "self guided wine tours" too much.

Yes No Thank
ClayJ Avatar
ClayJ Silver Member Clay Johnston
Mt. Olive, MS, USA   USA
1972 MG MGB
Our DOT has started installing some of those U-turn intersections. They seem odd to me. I'm sure the DOTs have crash/statistical evidence that a particular intersection has a high incident rate. Seems like the U-turn intersections would just move the crash statistics point from the intersection to the u-turn area, problem solved "at the intersection".

Also, our DOT has started installing these on straight-through intersections so that you have to make a right-turn, then a u-turn, then a left-turn to continue straight through. Odd.

Is a u-turn with oncoming traffic safer than a left-hand turn?

Yes No Thank
V8MGBV8 Avatar
V8MGBV8 Carl Floyd
Kingsport, TN, USA   USA
Not me. I don't partake. I keep hearing that Ringo Starr song...

Not gonna be there anyway. Using my resources to attend my 22nd of 23 annual British V8 Meet in Wytheville, VA, June 2-5.

Yes No Thank
BFC Avatar
BFC Ben Clark
Allegan, MI, USA   USA
1980 MG MGB "Kilr B"
1980 MG MGB MkIV
Clay-
A lot of times there is a separate pressure-plate triggered traffic light for the U-turn spot, so if oncoming traffic is heavy, they will stop for you. Like I said, the statistics supposedly show that it is safer than simply turning left at a 4-way. Having recently watched a few dash cam videos on YouTube though, I think I can safely say that "stupid people gonna be stupid" no matter what.

Carl-
I thought about British V8 but Traverse City is a lot closer. Besides, pot isn't legal in Virginia yet. devil smileysmileys with beer

Yes No Thank
V8MGBV8 Avatar
V8MGBV8 Carl Floyd
Kingsport, TN, USA   USA
In reply to # 3907323 by BFC
I thought about British V8 but Traverse City is a lot closer. Besides, pot isn't legal in Virginia yet. devil smileysmileys with beer

Won't be happening any time soon down South, Ben. Come on down. I have blasted my conversion up to 2 V8 meets in Michigan & one in Wisconsin (& one in Colorado). Not that far & there are a number coming that you can caravan with.

Wytheville did get Wythe County's 1st microbrewery last May. smileys with beer

Yes No Thank
BFC Avatar
BFC Ben Clark
Allegan, MI, USA   USA
1980 MG MGB "Kilr B"
1980 MG MGB MkIV
In reply to # 3907331 by V8MGBV8 Won't be happening any time soon down South, Ben. Come on down. I have blasted my conversion up to 2 V8 meets in Michigan & one in Wisconsin (& one in Colorado). Not that far & there are a number coming that you can caravan with.

Wytheville did get Wythe County's 1st microbrewery last May. smileys with beer

I lived in Georgia for a long time, so I understand. It's not my bag anyway. I'm more about IPAs than Indicas.

This year, I am trying to juggle NAMGBR, a possible Lemons Rally the week after that and a trip to Indy in August. No time for British V8 this year. Besides, I have to finish the darn V8 car at some point!

Yes No Thank
V8MGBV8 Avatar
V8MGBV8 Carl Floyd
Kingsport, TN, USA   USA
In reply to # 3907338 by BFC Besides, I have to finish the darn V8 car at some point!

V8 car NOT required. I attended my first 2 with my stock '79. Attended my 3rd one in my dad's stock '63. Absorbed tons of info & made many lifelong friends.

Yes No Thank
ClayJ Avatar
ClayJ Silver Member Clay Johnston
Mt. Olive, MS, USA   USA
1972 MG MGB
Ben,
The U-turn areas in MS don't have any traffic lights, just a cross-over. If they had lights, that might make sense.

Yes No Thank
mgdriver67 Avatar
mgdriver67 Silver Member Stephen Farrell
Pensacola, FL, USA   USA
1967 MG MGB MkI "Lulu"
2017 Honda Ridgeline 4WD "Mom's Truck"
2019 Subaru Crosstrek XV "Suki"
I first encountered those in Louisiana. They are common in The New Oreans metropolitan area. No so much in the northern Parishes.
North Louisiana should really be a separate state. South Louisiana should be another country. They don’t act, talk or think Southern. They can sure have a good time and serve wonderful food though.

Yes No Thank
BFC Avatar
BFC Ben Clark
Allegan, MI, USA   USA
1980 MG MGB "Kilr B"
1980 MG MGB MkIV
Even in Michigan, only some of the turns have lights - usually near the busier intersections.
The good news? Right on red laws apply to the U turns (even though you're turning left).

In reply to # 3907343 by ClayJ Ben,
The U-turn areas in MS don't have any traffic lights, just a cross-over. If they had lights, that might make sense.

Yes No Thank
Old Driver Avatar
Old Driver Gold Member Harry Watkin
Huntersville, NC, USA   USA
1974 MG MGB GT "Ducky"
Here in the Charlotte area, we not only have "Michigan turnarounds", but also "Quad-lefts" and "diverging diamonds". Makes driving a bit unusual for visitors.

"If you can't be kind, at least have the decency to be vague."
Unknown

"Some cause happiness wherever they go; others, whenever they go."
Oscar Wilde

1974 MG BGT - Green Mallard, Acme Speed Shop engine, Schlemmer dist, T-9 5-speed
2008 MINI Cooper Clubman - Mellow Yellow w/ silver top

Yes No Thank
Limey Avatar
Limey Eric Marshall
Pentwater, MI, USA   USA
Sorry to break the bubble - but the idea that the "Michigan left" is a safety feature is a myth!

I spent 30 years doing analyses on crash data - including data from Michigan (when it still had a VIN included) and there is ZERO evidence to suggest that the Michigan Left is a good idea! If you think about it, it is no different than turning left at a regular traffic light - with the exception that you are allowed to turn left on a red light! All they really do is cause confusion, and if traffic is heavy, I have seen the backup from them extend into the intersection they were supposed to make safer! Along with left side entrances and exits from Freeways (also a Michigan "thing"winking smiley, most traffic safety engineers will agree they are a really BAD idea!

Eric Marshall

+1 Yes No Thank

To add your reply, or post your own questions

Registration is FREE and takes less than a minute!

Having trouble posting or changing forum settings?
Read the Forum Help (FAQ) or contact the webmaster