AutoShrine Sponsor
AutoShrine Sponsor
AutoShrine Sponsor
AutoShrine Sponsor

ReggieB Avatar
ReggieB Gold Member Reg Beckett
Carstairs, AB, Canada   CAN
1974 MG MGB "GGB"
Just picked up my engine parts from Almax Engine Rebuilders in RedDeer on Friday. So will begin my reassembly in the next few days. I have in the past redone the bottom end of my current engine crankshaft machine work and all new lower bearings main and rod.
This time I will be doing all of it. A bit daunting but not afraid of the work to be done.
Engine is bored .60 over with new pistons(of course) new camshaft new valves(unleaded ready) new rockers and tappits.
I have been watching Youtube like a fiend regarding preparation and cleaning of the block prior to assembly. The machine shop put the "plugs"into the oil journals for me so I made a point of asking if they had cleaned all of the journals and my young machinist prommised they had all been washed and blown out.
I will try to update as the journey progresses. I am open to any input any of you have pro or con as I have nothing but respect for those of you that offer assistance to us amateur mechanics.

. Hide this ad & support a small business by becoming a Gold Supporting Member

Attachments:
20190303_121805.jpg    26.5 KB
20190303_121805.jpg

20190303_121833.jpg    19.1 KB
Sign In or Register to view this photo
20190303_121859.jpg    26.8 KB
Was this post helpful or interesting?
+1 Yes No Thank
Rod H. Avatar
Amity, OR, USA   USA
1964 MG MGB
1968 MG MGB GT
Check and make sure they put plugs where they should be, and not where they shouldn't! The oil pan flange area below the oil pressure relief valve would be a good photo to post here!

Re-clean/wash everything as best you can.

Make darn sure you don't use the 3 main oil pump gasket in a 5 main engine.

I can't understand why people are frightened of new ideas. I'm frightened of the old ones. John Cage

'63 MGB
'68 MGBGT
'80 VW Vanagon Kombi
'09 Mazda 3 with 5 speed manual

Yes No Thank
Motion Avatar
Motion Gold Member Dale Spooner
Danville, VA, USA   USA
1977 MG MGB
How about a better close-up of that deck. In the first pic, it resembles a pair of corduroy pants.

Member Services:
Complete automotive machine shop, with special interest in British motors.
Yes No Thank
dickmoritz Avatar
dickmoritz Platinum Member Dick Moritz
Philly 'burbs, PA, USA   USA
Reg,

You may not be aware that Dale and I collaborated on the overhaul of an MGB engine, documented it in great detail, and ultimately auctioned it off here on the Forum, raising more than six thousand dollars, all of which was donated directly to the Make-A-Wish Foundation. Here's a link. Stock up on popcorn...

http://www.mgexp.com/phorum/read.php?1,2832884

Dick

In reply to # 3901981 by Motion How about a better close-up of that deck. In the first pic, it resembles a pair of corduroy pants.

Errabundi Saepe, Semper Certi
(Often wrong, but always certain)

Yes No Thank
ReggieB Avatar
ReggieB Gold Member Reg Beckett
Carstairs, AB, Canada   CAN
1974 MG MGB "GGB"
Here's a few more pictures. The mains were "center bored". The deck although it looks swirled feels pretty smooth to the touch. Finger nail pull so to speak.

In reply to # 3901981 by Motion How about a better close-up of that deck. In the first pic, it resembles a pair of corduroy pants.

Attachments:
20190303_134727.jpg    22.6 KB
20190303_134727.jpg

20190303_134834.jpg    15.8 KB
20190303_134844.jpg    29.9 KB
Yes No Thank
MT-B Avatar
MT-B Matt T
City, NY, USA   USA
I’m not sure if it’s just his use of language but the oil passages should be thoroughly scrubbed out with brushes not just flushed out and blown dry. Maybe he did that but if he’s looking to cut corners that’s not a great place to do it and it’s something you could fix yourself for peace of mind if you wanted to. I guess it comes down to your trust in his attention to detail. Which makes me wonder, did the core plugs come from the machine shop looking like that?

In reply to # 3901941 by ReggieB my young machinist prommised they had all been washed and blown out.

Yes No Thank
binky Bill Blick (Disabled)
Disabled Account, Antarctica   ATA
Curious what with the messy freeze plugs?

Yes No Thank
sweep Avatar
sweep Gold Member Chris W
Gosford, NSW, Australia   AUS
1966 MG MGB "Basil"
2013 Volkswagen Tiguan
2015 Audi A3
You're going to get a lot of expert advice here, and that's good. But, if you want a novices story have a look at my journal, starts here! It's a long read and it jumps around a bit as I was doing other stuff as well but it does highlight a few issues that an expert would foresee and not have to deal with.

I really enjoyed dealing with new, clean bits. A lot better than mucking around with dirty, grimy crap when pulling it down.

The secret to creativity is knowing how to hide your sources.

To the intelligent person, life appears infinitely mysterious, but the stupid have an answer for everything.

Day Dreamers, don't discourage them. That's where original thought comes from.

Yes No Thank
BH Davis Avatar
Grosvenordale, CT, Warren, VT, USA   USA
1973 MG MGB
I clearly fell into the amateur rebuilder category when I rebuilt my 73B engine several years ago. I used the Dr. Doolan video:

https://dr-doolin.com/dvd-rent-for-view/46-accessories/dvd-and-video/330-mgbdvd1

and lots of help from the MG Experience pros here on this forum along with guidance from Basil Adams who supplied all my parts. There were some frustrating moments along the way and many steps got done, dismantled and redone more than once in order to make sure I had things right. All in all it was a great experience that I would be happy to do again should the opportunity arise.

BH

Yes No Thank
the omega man Avatar
the omega man phil wilkins
staffordshire, Stafford, UK   GBR
Read thro.your journal Chris. I'm knackered now. Don't think I would ever have the motivation or enthusiasm to do what you have, even when I was younger. So I take my hat off to you. Someone last year, had his car restored at the garage I sometimes use. He was talking about £45000 for a pro.restoration. I thought he was mad,but I can see why now, with all the work you have put in yours.

Yes No Thank
B-racer Avatar
B-racer Jeff Schlemmer
Shakopee, MN, USA   USA
1950 Willys Jeep Pickup "Ratrod"
1971 MG MGB
2014 Dodge Charger
Looks like they used an old Blockmaster to deck the block. I'd trust that finish, full well knowing its not perfect but its relatively smooth. It also looks like he replaced the brass plugs in the block, so I'd trust its been properly cleaned. Nice dual-step hone finish. Your rings will seal quickly.

A lot of folks use epoxy on the core plugs to help reduce potential for leaks when minor pitting is present. Its not pretty, but it guarantees a good seal. Its not strong enough to lock them in place if you blow a head gasket or freeze the water in the block.

jeff@advanceddistributors.com

Yes No Thank
Motion Avatar
Motion Gold Member Dale Spooner
Danville, VA, USA   USA
1977 MG MGB
"Looks like they used an old Blockmaster to deck the block."

Actually Jeff, the old Storm 85 to which you refer cuts in an arc, so the angle of the cut changes as it travels down the head or block. The machining marks shown here are all the same so it was a different machine. Still a multi carbide machine it appears, like the Storm, but using traditional straight ways.

Member Services:
Complete automotive machine shop, with special interest in British motors.
Yes No Thank
melbaver Avatar
melbaver Gold Member Chris Howells
Carrington, NSW, Australia   AUS
1968 MG MGB "Moneypit"
2012 Dodge Journey "Another Shopping Trolley"
In reply to # 3902256 by MT-B I’m not sure if it’s just his use of language but the oil passages should be thoroughly scrubbed out with brushes not just flushed out and blown dry. Maybe he did that but if he’s looking to cut corners that’s not a great place to do it and it’s something you could fix yourself for peace of mind if you wanted to. I guess it comes down to your trust in his attention to detail. Which makes me wonder, did the core plugs come from the machine shop looking like that?

In reply to # 3901941 by ReggieB my young machinist prommised they had all been washed and blown out.

It is essential you get those galley plugs (all 13 of them) spotless. One piece of crud can ruin your day and your engine. Just ask Barrie (MGB567). This should interest you https://www.mgexp.com/forum/mgb-and-gt-forum.1/tapping-the-block.2621630/#msg-2621630

Chris Howells

1968 MGB Purchased already dis-assembled but which is largely back together so I'm a lot less ignorant.

+2 Yes No Thank
  Thomy and Skye thanked melbaver for this post
binky Bill Blick (Disabled)
Disabled Account, Antarctica   ATA
I seen people try to epoxy core plugs in place before. Won't work. You are to smack them flat to achieve a tight fit.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2019-03-04 06:27 PM by binky.

Yes No Thank
RAY 67 TOURER Avatar
RAY 67 TOURER Ray Marloff
Fort Bragg, CA, USA   USA
1967 MG MGB "My Girl"
The sealant on the core plugs is a belt and braces approach. RAY

Yes No Thank

To add your reply, or post your own questions

Registration is FREE and takes less than a minute!

Having trouble posting or changing forum settings?
Read the Forum Help (FAQ) or contact the webmaster