Mob speedo cable removal

Moss Motors
AutoShrine Sponsor
AutoShrine Sponsor
AutoShrine Sponsor
AutoShrine Sponsor

Billy jk Mike S
Kings Langley, UK   GBR
Talk me thru getting the cable off the back of the dial pls...

. Hide banner ads & support this website by becoming a > Gold Supporting Member <
underwaterdrug Avatar
underwaterdrug Bradley Atherton
Muskogee, OK, USA   USA
1972 MG MGB
1972 MG MGB
I found it easiest to place my hand behind the dash. Find the two hand nuts that come off easily and then push out the speedometer from the dash. Then remove the cable. Should be a 5 minute job.

JohnyMc Avatar
JohnyMc John McFarlane
Mossman, Queensland, Australia   AUS
Have u tried?
What appears to be your difficulty?

On my 71 it's a simple 2 minute job.

Semi retired Auto Electrician with over 44 years experience. Specializing in pre 1975 car electrical systems. Trained on early Lucas, Bosch and Magnetti Marelli systems.
Australian Auto Electrician actively rebuilding and calibrating early Lucas and Delco Remy 1/2/3 bobbin regulators, Lucas generators/alternators (including 3rd brush and generator/starters) and magnetos. Large supply of original Lucas 1960 and 1970's parts to suit British cars (assembled and/or exported).

Available for guidance/assistance via email.

But be warned......I'm an grumpy old fart. I take no shit from people too lazy to do a preliminary search of the forum.
Nor do I appreciate wasting time providing suggestions towards a solution to then have you ignore them because you have to do some investigative work, in favour of a possible solution from a friend of a friend of a friend who once upon a time was a gardener with a shifting spanner and a set of pliers and somehow fixed their glowing ignition lamp with a piece of surgical tape, speck of moon dust and a rusty razor blade.

You get my drift?

. Hide banner ads & support this website by becoming a > Gold Supporting Member <
linklaw John Linkosky
Carnegie, PA, USA   USA
To remove the thumb nuts, I have to remove the heater control that is below the speedo. I don't remember whether it is heat or vent control but I can't fit my fat hand behind the dash with it in place. To remove it, depress the little button in the knob and pull the knob off, then take off the nut and washer. Pull out the control device from behind the dash and presto, you will have plenty of room to remove the thumb nut (at least on one side).

sweep Avatar
sweep Gold Member Chris W
Gosford, NSW, Australia   AUS
1966 MG MGB "Basil"
2013 Volkswagen Tiguan
2015 Audi A3
Put a light glove on. Stick your hand up behind - follow the cable up. Grab the knurled nut. Summon your 'inner Hulk' and twist clockwise - looking at your imaginary fingers in front of you.
Otherwise do what others have suggested.

The secret to creativity is knowing how to hide your sources.

To the intelligent person, life appears infinitely mysterious, but the stupid have an answer for everything.

Day Dreamers, don't discourage them. That's where original thought comes from.

Captain Dave Avatar
Captain Dave Gold Member David Blakey
Clinton, TN, USA   USA
1967 MG MGB GT "Lil B"
1971 MG MGB GT "Cornbread"
Some photos and pre-emptive protection learned by previous experience. The 5/8" nut is removed from the control and it is pushed through the metal support temporarily.

Attachments:
Vent control 1.jpg    57.6 KB
Vent control 1.jpg

Vent control 2.jpg    58.4 KB
Sign In or Register to view this photo
Vent control 3.jpg    36.3 KB
Sign In or Register to view this photo

To add your reply, or post your own questions

Registration is FREE and takes less than a minute!

Having trouble posting or changing forum settings?
Read the Forum Help (FAQ) or contact the webmaster

Join The Club

Sign in to ask questions, share photos, and access all website features

Your Cars

1962 MG MGA MkII De Luxe

Text Size

Larger Smaller
Reset Save

Sponsor Links