Moss Motors
AutoShrine Sponsor
AutoShrine Sponsor
AutoShrine Sponsor
AutoShrine Sponsor

trevorjbennett Trevor Bennett
Portland, OR, USA   USA
Hey there,

Has anyone out there had any issues with the middle exhaust hangers from Moss? I have had two fail on me now. As far as I know my exhaust is stock so there shouldn't any misalignment or unnecessary stress on the bracket.

Take a look at the photos. What's the deal? Anyone had this happen?

'79 MGB

. Hide banner ads & support this website by becoming a > Gold Supporting Member <

Attachments:
IMG_1533.JPG    33.9 KB
IMG_1533.JPG

rocannon Avatar
rocannon Platinum Member Frank .
Clairvius Narcisse Township, Bokor, St. Kitts and Nevis   KNA
1967 MG MGB GT "GT From Hell"
1980 MG MGB "Restored By Photoshop Inc."
Yup. Several times. Even after aligning the exhaust pipes every way I could.

I align the plates/rubbber isolator, and then put a couple of bolts thru to hold it together. If it’s any noisier, I can’t tell.

There is the "rubber ring" setup that could be adapted, I suppose, but I’m lazy. grinning smiley

. . . . . . . . . .
. . . . . . . . . .
. .
. .
. .

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2019-02-10 04:48 PM by rocannon.

Attachments:
C4300002-84EB-4DB1-8966-CA5AC4A47661.jpeg    48.9 KB
C4300002-84EB-4DB1-8966-CA5AC4A47661.jpeg

oleanderjoe Avatar
oleanderjoe Gold Member Joseph Baba
Fresno, CA, USA   USA
Almost any auto parts store will have the universal 3/4" thick reinforced rubber hanger. Should bolt up without any problemthumbs up.

In reply to # 3889274 by trevorjbennett Hey there,

Has anyone out there had any issues with the middle exhaust hangers from Moss? I have had two fail on me now. As far as I know my exhaust is stock so there shouldn't any misalignment or unnecessary stress on the bracket.

Take a look at the photos. What's the deal? Anyone had this happen?

'79 MGB

IN ALL SUBJECTS.: For those who believe, no proof is needed. For those who don’t believe, no proof is possible.

"Strive for perfection in everything. Take the best that exists and make it better. If it doesn't exist, create it. Accept nothing nearly right or good enough"
Sir Henry Royce
co-founder of Rolls Royce .

"BENJAMIN FRANKLIN" >>(Expanded) The bitterness of poor quality (or Crappy Workmenship) remains LONG AFTER the Sweet Taste of Low Price is forgotten.

Member Services:
riley1489 Avatar
riley1489 Gold Member Bruce H
Great White North, QC, Canada   CAN
1953 Jaguar XK120
1959 Riley 1.5 "King George"
1973 MG MGB
What does the vendor tell you about this?

B

Check your ego Amigo!

. Hide banner ads & support this website by becoming a > Gold Supporting Member <
oleanderjoe Avatar
oleanderjoe Gold Member Joseph Baba
Fresno, CA, USA   USA
Probably the usual reply: " We have not had any problems with this item. " smileys with beer

In reply to # 3889337 by riley1489 What does the vendor tell you about this?

B

IN ALL SUBJECTS.: For those who believe, no proof is needed. For those who don’t believe, no proof is possible.

"Strive for perfection in everything. Take the best that exists and make it better. If it doesn't exist, create it. Accept nothing nearly right or good enough"
Sir Henry Royce
co-founder of Rolls Royce .

"BENJAMIN FRANKLIN" >>(Expanded) The bitterness of poor quality (or Crappy Workmenship) remains LONG AFTER the Sweet Taste of Low Price is forgotten.

Member Services:
allanreeling ALLAN R
RANDLAY, TELFORD, Shropshire, UK   GBR
Only ever used those OE efforts once, and when the rubber un-bonded itself, I converted to PU doughnuts. I also have PU cotton bobbins on the rear hanger, bought from a Mini (proper one) site. They are more compliant than the rock hard recycled tyre rubbish, which most rubber seems to be these days.

soonerv8

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2019-02-11 07:22 AM by allanreeling.

tahoe36c Avatar
tahoe36c Paul Hruza
Panama City, FL, USA   USA
1969 MG MGC GT "Little Red Rocket..."
1972 MG MGB GT "Tiny Dancer"
2002 Harley-Davidson Dyna
Why would anyone purchase an exhaust hanger from Moss???? Chinese Garbage...

Trevor,

Please visit your local exhaust shop... And save yourself the grief!

Most of these shops can make any size/style you could possibly want... One near me made a center mount for my dual MGC exhaust. Works like a champ!

And they will give you a locally honored warranty.

Edited 3 time(s). Last edit at 2019-02-11 07:50 AM by tahoe36c.

ClayJ Avatar
ClayJ Silver Member Clay Johnston
Mt. Olive, MS, USA   USA
1972 MG MGB
The hanger pictured looks to be a little forward of vertical on the bottom part, that might be a problem.

A few other possibilities: The front support at the bell housing is miss-adjusted or missing, the rear hanger is not right, the axle is hitting the pipe on full extension.

I've installed several of these from Moss in the last couple of years without issue.

nickj Avatar
nickj Gold Member Nick Jenkins
Novato, Marin Co, CA, USA   USA
1970 MG MGB GT
1972 MG MGB
The middle hanger failed in the GT after just a week, but wasn't the rubber block, it was the thin strap underneath the pipe that bolts to the block. The strap cracked and split on one side. Re-welded it and a month later it cracked and split on the other side. Replaced it with a 16 gauge strap and it's been okay ever since.

I think the rubber block is adequate so long as there isn't any preload on it.

Wachtmans Avatar
Wachtmans Wouter Strodijk
OVERVEEN, Noord Holland, Netherlands   NLD
1974 MG MGB "The Bee"
1974 MG MGB "The Bee"
1974 MG MGB MkIII "The Bee"
At replacing the exhaust, I also replaced this hanger with a new one, which broke down as shown by Trevor. Cleaned and put back the rusty old one, which holds well ever since. Chinese stuff is suspect.

rocannon Avatar
Yup, it’s not suitable for mgb. Grabbed the pic to show what I meant by "rubber ring".

In reply to # 3889622 by ClayJ The hanger pictured looks to be a little forward of vertical on the bottom part, that might be a problem.

A few other possibilities: The front support at the bell housing is miss-adjusted or missing, the rear hanger is not right, the axle is hitting the pipe on full extension.

I've installed several of these from Moss in the last couple of years without issue.

. . . . . . . . . .
. . . . . . . . . .
. .
. .
. .

Diver648 Gold Member Warren Siringer
Tucson, AZ, USA   USA
1967 MG MGB
1967 MG MGB GT
1969 MG MGB MkII
1971 MG MGB GT    & more
My rear one fell apart before I even started the car.

rocannon Avatar
I have a bolt there too. grinning smiley

In reply to # 3890082 by Diver648 My rear one fell apart before I even started the car.

. . . . . . . . . .
. . . . . . . . . .
. .
. .
. .

melbaver Avatar
melbaver Gold Member Chris Howells
Carrington, NSW, Australia   AUS
1968 MG MGB "Moneypit"
2012 Dodge Journey "Another Shopping Trolley"
Mine must be an original goody then!! Pulling my car onto a trailer to move house and it got stuck in the middle at the top of the ramp. Wound and wound anf inally it gave way as did the middle of the exhaust. Didn't realise a tyre was very under-inflated, so car was riding low. Middle hanger was unharmed, not the same for the pipe it attaches to.

Chris Howells

1968 MGB Purchased already dis-assembled but which is largely back together so I'm a lot less ignorant.

Jcrcleeman Avatar
Jcrcleeman John Leeman
Burton Pidsea, East Yorkshire, UK   GBR
1978 MG MGB
In reply to # 3889588 by allanreeling Only ever used those OE efforts once, and when the rubber un-bonded itself, I converted to PU doughnuts. I also have PU cotton bobbins on the rear hanger, bought from a Mini (proper one) site. They are more compliant than the rock hard recycled tyre rubbish, which most rubber seems to be these days.

Any chance of a picture of your setup? Seems like a good mod.

To add your reply, or post your own questions

Registration is FREE and takes less than a minute!

Having trouble posting or changing forum settings?
Read the Forum Help (FAQ) or contact the webmaster