AutoShrine Sponsor
AutoShrine Sponsor
AutoShrine Sponsor
AutoShrine Sponsor

MGB GT 1969 starting issue
  This topic is about my 1969 MG MGB GT
Green1969mgbgt Van Wagner
Swarthmore, PA, USA   USA
I have replaced the coil and and spark plugs - the car is turning but not turning over. The fuel pump is ticking and the car worked fine last year. I wanted to get some input to see what I should test next.

I filmed a video to see where I should check next.

. Hide banner ads & support this website by becoming a > Gold Supporting Member <
DB Wood Avatar
DB Wood Gold Member Daniel Wood
Tumalo, OR, USA   USA
1967 MG MGB GT
1968 MG MGB
1970 MG MGB GT
Don't pump the gas, it does no good. There is no accelerator pump in an SU carb. Do you have the choke working properly. It won't even fire without it, particularly in the cold weather. When the choke is pulled all of the way out, the jets should drop down about 1/4". If they aren"t moving they might be gummed up from sitting.

Dan Wood
70BGT driver, OD, Pertronix, HS4's, Peco, .060 over, Elgin cam, Superlite wheels, poly bushings, panhard rod, rear tube shocks, 1" lowered front end, HD shock valves, etc, etc.
68 MGB rebuilt engine D9 cam balanced, still a work in process but runs real nice.
88 Saab SPG Turbo
86 Vanagon Westy (South African conversion engine 2.0 OHC 135HP) This car burnt to the ground. Bought another, same year and color but with a 2.4 Waterboxer.
2004 Dodge Ram 6sp with HO Cummins diesel
Lucas= Loose
Unsoldered
Connections
And
Splices

Bluvair Avatar
Bluvair Silver Member Dwight Anderson
Quakertown, PA, USA   USA
Van,
I would make sure I had spark. I would take out a plug with the wire attached and ground it and crank the engine. Then you will know if you have spark for sure. If that passes the next thing I would do would see that fuel it is getting to the carbs by disconnecting the
fuel hose to the carbs and turn on the fuel pump. You should get a good amount of fuel into a container. If that passes, then it may be time to see if your manual choke is working. I do not know if it is cold where you are. If your choke is working then it may b etime to look at the float levels in your carb float bowls. if you have too little fuel into your carbs, you may need to check the fuel filter too. I hope this helps a bit.
Bluvair aka Dwight Anderson
72 BGT with too many mods to list.

. Hide banner ads & support this website by becoming a > Gold Supporting Member <
allanreeling ALLAN R
RANDLAY, TELFORD, Shropshire, UK   GBR
Take a plug out after cranking. If there is fuel and no spark, the plug will be wet with fuel, but you will have smelled it! Lack of ignition is the most likely. Follow Dwight's procedure when the plug is out, to confirm.
If you have spark, take a lid off a float chamber and look for half full at least. Little fuel? Check fuel delivery, more than a pint a minute. Ticking doesn't always mean pumping!
Then, as already said, check the jets are dropping when you pull the choke out.

soonerv8

To add your reply, or post your own questions

Registration is FREE and takes less than a minute!

Having trouble posting or changing forum settings?
Read the Forum Help (FAQ) or contact the webmaster

Join The Club

Sign in to ask questions, share photos, and access all website features

Your Cars

1967 MG MGB GT Special

Text Size

Larger Smaller
Reset Save

Sponsor Links