MGB GT 1966 Wiper motor rebuild help needed

Moss Motors
AutoShrine Sponsor
AutoShrine Sponsor
AutoShrine Sponsor
AutoShrine Sponsor

DUO306C Mike P
Reading, PA, USA   USA
In a quandary with a colleagues 1966 MGB GT one speed wiper motor rebuild.
The motor was removed from the vehicle as wiper would not run.
When removing the armature an attached bush came out of the spring arms in base of the round body.
The bush (arrowed) is firm on the end of the armature and would like advice if it should be loose and rotate?

Ready to try a puller to remove the bush, but being careful as these motors are rare it seems with no spares available.
The brushes are excellent condition and the 115 deg gears all turn. Spring in PA approaching which means rain and have to fix.
An answer to our bush question will be really appreciated.

. Hide this ad & support a small business by becoming a Gold Supporting Member

Attachments:
PhotoGrid_1549338059448.jpg    56 KB
PhotoGrid_1549338059448.jpg

Was this post helpful or interesting?
Yes No Thank
rocannon Avatar
rocannon Platinum Member Frank .
Clairvius Narcisse Township, Bokor, St. Kitts and Nevis   KNA
1967 MG MGB GT "GT From Hell"
1980 MG MGB "Restored By Photoshop Inc."
The bush is a bearing. The shaft should rotate easily in the bush.

- .- -. ... - .- .- ..-. .-.. -.-.--

Krishnamurti: “It is no measure of health to be well adjusted to a profoundly sick society.”

Sententia est fallacia; credere durum praecipitatum omnia inanis.

-1 Yes No Thank
flyfish66 Avatar
flyfish66 Stewart Reisinger
Daphne, AL, USA   USA
I have a 1966 mgbgt all restored except for the wiper motor which burnt out. This is a round motor. I would like to replace it with a 1967 motor. I believe this 1967 motor will fit right in to the original drive cable. But here are my questions.

1. The original motor was one speed. How do I wire up a two speed motor to the single speed switch.
2. Will the original connector work with the new motor?

Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks in advance

Stew

Yes No Thank
DUO306C Mike P
Reading, PA, USA   USA
Stew - we have still not rebuilt the 1966 wiper motor but the following info may be of use.
Found six MGB roadster wiper motors in yard in New Ringgold PA, but when looking at them at home they were all later dated units and not all recoverable.

Did learn that our 1966 MGBGT wiper motor was different to the later ones.
It has a 115 deg stamped on the internal gear compared to 105 deg on the roadster units. And you can see the casing is larger.

Our 1966 MGBGT wiper motor, a one speed did not power up, so used one of the 6 to check it wasn't vehicle wiring issues.
A 1969 roadster unit had a similar looking input except its a two speed. But plugged the car lead it in and it powered up - one speed! so wiring ok.
Didn't consider using '69, -ve earth might have been a problem but it worked. The plug on the car looks like it has flying leads from it back to the loom, looks original.

So I reckon you'll need to check the connector pin count - photos hopefully explain my comments 1 speed vs 2 speed. Units are dated. As to Q1 no info.

Hoping to get our GT wiper going soon - and sticking with the 1 speed and 155 deg - it will rain in PA
Good luck
Mike

Attachments:
PhotoGrid_1552574730034.jpg    61.4 KB
PhotoGrid_1552574730034.jpg

PhotoGrid_1552573823845.jpg    64 KB
Sign In or Register to view this photo
0_PhotoGrid_1552572421626.jpg    45.7 KB
Yes No Thank
lgorg Avatar
lgorg Larry Gorg
Renton, WA, USA   USA
1966 MG MGB "Robbie"
Can not comment on your GT round wiper motor. However, I will point you to the information that I used when I converted my single speed roadster to a round two speed. It works, however, the wiper switch in the dash leaves a lot to be desired. I used a switch from both Leacy Classics and Holden, both in the UK. The Leacy Classics switch (BHA4786) did not support parking, so I ordered one from Holden (35927). Unfortunately, Holden's, which is currently in the car, is manufactured incorrectly, so it also does not support parking. I've been told that the switch required is the same as used in a Cobra, but I have other items that are more important to deal with right not and have not yet investigated the Cobra angle.

Paul Hunt's UK website, Spammer and Hammer, is a good reference for anything MGB. I used his Wipers - Later two-speed, round-bodied motor article as it tells how you can wire up the two speed motor to work on two speeds. Its kind of goofy, but the wiring is what the factory did. It is not as straightforward as one would think, but it does work.

Wiper sweep is important, as you want the wipers to sweep the same amount as the old wiper. You may have to remove the cam and wheel from the old wiper, and put it into the motor you are going to use. You can read about this on Barny Gayloard's MGAgaru website at http://mgaguru.com/mgtech/electric/et218.htm.

Finally, if the GT is just like the roadster, put some RainX or equivalent on your windshield, then drive forty or more MPH, and the rain will simply sweep off the windshield.

I do not know if this helps or not, but its better to have too much information, than not enough. Good luck!

Yes No Thank
geezer Avatar
geezer Silver Member charles durning
Magee, MS, USA   USA
1958 MG Magnette ZB "Chick Magnette (sold)"
1967 Morris Minor 1000 Saloon (2-door) "Marvin"
1974 MG MGB GT "Foghorn Leghorn"
A few months ago I did a 2 speed wiper motor conversion on my Morris Minor. I used a motor from a 1976 MGB, a headlight switch, and 2 relays to deal with the wiring differences. The wiper motor conversion is pretty common with the MGA community. The MGA Guru also has articles on the conversion. ET218 - ET219H. Park will be supported.

https://www.mgexp.com/journal/Charles-Durning.2966/DIY-2-Speed-Wipers-For-A-Morris-Minor.17530/

https://www.mgaguru.com/mgtech/electric/et219b.htm

"Whether you think you can do something, or you think you can't, you're correct"- Henry Ford

Yes No Thank
MGB567 Avatar
MGB567 Gold Member Barrie Braxton
Sunshine Coast, Queensland, Australia   AUS
1966 MG MGB MkI "Money Guzzler"
1979 MG MGB GT V8 Conversion "Darkside"
I don't understand. The single speed motor is a rectangular cuboid whereas the two speed is round. FWIW I converted my Ml1's single speed to two speed. I used switch BHA4786 and my sparky wired it to the motor via a Hella 7010 intermittent switch - all functions work.

Convertible: CKD 11/66 first registered 8/5/67. Owned since 3/77. 90% original sheet metal. 18GB +40 balanced with almost all new internals. Peter Burgess big valve fast road head. Piper 285. Fidanza FW. Basil's followers and pushrods. TR7clutch. TT exhaust. ARP everywhere. 123 ign. Needham 4synchro c/r box.. Stock rebuilt/replaced suspension. Superpro bushes. New brakes all round including all pipes in SS flex. Interior redone. CAMS approved roll bar and side bars. Lots more. Hybrid of o/e and show/fast road car. Not for sale - it's my toy!

GT: UK car built/sold December '78. Stripped back to bare shell with VW Golf flared guards, flush fit front and rear valances with front guards immovable. Front and rear seams removed,Torana XU1 vents, frenched indicators front & Mk1 rear lights. Powered by 'worked' Rover 5 litre V8 (ex TVR Chimaera) with efi. T5 box. FC IFS. CCE rear attached to Salisbury axle with Quaife. All new interior with MrMikes covers on MX5 seats. Retro4 7x15 rims (zero offset) and 205/55 rubber. Colour: Jaguar Storm. Not for sale - it's my sanity!

Yes No Thank
Noble66 Avatar
Noble66 Gold Member Noble Bradford
Orlando, FL, USA   USA
1964 MG MGB "Black Betty"
1969 MG MGC GT
1974 MG MGB "Whitey"
Barrie,
I’m confused too. From what I understand the 66B/GT and later had a round two speed motor. The roadsters kept the square one speed until 68. I thought that all round wipers were two speed. They even have a specific two speed wiper switch that I have a part number for somewhere out of reach at the moment.

I’d like to convert my 66B roadster to a two speed as you have. The rain comes down pretty hard in Florida. The one speed just doesn’t cut it.

In reply to # 3909056 by MGB567 I don't understand. The single speed motor is a rectangular cuboid whereas the two speed is round. FWIW I converted my Ml1's single speed to two speed. I used switch BHA4786 and my sparky wired it to the motor via a Hella 7010 intermittent switch - all functions work.

Yes No Thank
Be Coming Avatar
Be Coming Kelvin Dodd
So. Calif., USA   USA
Hopefully the following information will be useful.

The 65-67 GT had a single speed motor with regenerative braking (probably to prevent the arms from windmilling at speed). - See attachment

You can install a two speed motor in place of the original by using a 2 speed motor toggle switch. These were used on the Cobra and post 1968 European MGBs.
I've also attached a wiring diagram from a Cobra parts supplier that shows how this toggle switch would be wired. The diagram is for a negative ground car.

Kelvin.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2019-03-15 11:08 AM by Be Coming.

Attachments:
Early MGB GT Windshield Wiper Operation.pdf    104.5 KB

Finish Line 35927 installation.pdf    1008.4 KB
+1 Yes No Thank
lgorg Avatar
lgorg Larry Gorg
Renton, WA, USA   USA
1966 MG MGB "Robbie"
Barrie and Noble,
The early GTs had round single speed wiper motors, at least here in NA and not the square single speed that you are familiar with that are in the roadsters. At the time I did my conversion from a square single speed to a round two speed, information was hard to come by. I had only Paul Hunt's website to go on. However, in Kelvin's diagram, the #2 connection on the switch was either missing, or power to it was cut when the switch was turned off. Its suppose to be live to power the motor until the parking switch turns it off. In the future, when I get my car back on the road, I will investigate the Cobra switch. In the mean time, I just watch went the wipers are close to park position, I simply switch them off.

Yes No Thank
MGB567 Avatar
MGB567 Gold Member Barrie Braxton
Sunshine Coast, Queensland, Australia   AUS
1966 MG MGB MkI "Money Guzzler"
1979 MG MGB GT V8 Conversion "Darkside"
Larry: thumbs up how could I have missed/forgotten that below for the early GT confused smiley

Convertible: CKD 11/66 first registered 8/5/67. Owned since 3/77. 90% original sheet metal. 18GB +40 balanced with almost all new internals. Peter Burgess big valve fast road head. Piper 285. Fidanza FW. Basil's followers and pushrods. TR7clutch. TT exhaust. ARP everywhere. 123 ign. Needham 4synchro c/r box.. Stock rebuilt/replaced suspension. Superpro bushes. New brakes all round including all pipes in SS flex. Interior redone. CAMS approved roll bar and side bars. Lots more. Hybrid of o/e and show/fast road car. Not for sale - it's my toy!

GT: UK car built/sold December '78. Stripped back to bare shell with VW Golf flared guards, flush fit front and rear valances with front guards immovable. Front and rear seams removed,Torana XU1 vents, frenched indicators front & Mk1 rear lights. Powered by 'worked' Rover 5 litre V8 (ex TVR Chimaera) with efi. T5 box. FC IFS. CCE rear attached to Salisbury axle with Quaife. All new interior with MrMikes covers on MX5 seats. Retro4 7x15 rims (zero offset) and 205/55 rubber. Colour: Jaguar Storm. Not for sale - it's my sanity!

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2019-03-15 07:25 PM by MGB567.

Attachments:
GT wiper.jpg    17.2 KB
GT wiper.jpg

Yes No Thank
Lonwuff Gerald Beach
NAMPA, ID, USA   USA
Would an alternator/generator repair shop be able to fix?

Yes No Thank
DUO306C Mike P
Reading, PA, USA   USA
Well - MG really created a suituation here - a non serious comment - don't buy a 66 GT or never go out in the rain.
Lots of interesting technical information from Kelvin to browse - the leads etc - thanks.

The early GT wiper attachment sketch from Barrie doesn't match the cover of my 1966 part 75580 which has 2 brushes (3 shown?)

Will report when my original motor is back together. There is one tested 75580 out there on ebay - probably undervalued?
Happy motoring!

Yes No Thank
balloonfoot Avatar
balloonfoot Gold Member Lloyd Faust
Southlake, TX, USA   USA
In reply to # 3909184 by Be Coming Hopefully the following information will be useful.

You can install a two speed motor in place of the original by using a 2 speed motor toggle switch. These were used on the Cobra and post 1968 European MGBs.
Kelvin.

Actually when I built my works replica I researched this question extensively. The works cars had two speed square body wiper motors and toggle switches. The most common in the USA are Mk11 Jaguars, Sunbeam Tiger and Mk1 GT6. All have two speed toggle switches and square body motors.

Law of Logical Argument - Anything is possible if you don't know what you are talking about.

"Anyone with an intense emotional interest in a subject loses the ability to observe it objectively: You selectively perceive events. You ignore data and facts that disagree with your main philosophy. Even your memory works to fool you, as you selectively retain what you believe in, and subtly mask any memories that might conflict."

+1 Yes No Thank
cunhab Avatar
cunhab Bruce Cunha
Placerville, CA, USA   USA
1950 MG TD
1967 MG MGB GT
Some of Paul Hunts information on the 66/67 GT came from discussions and pictures I sent him. There were three wiper motors . The single speed square, the single speed round (used on the 66/67 GT) and the two speed.

Paul's website has all the correct information on putting a two-speed motor into the 66/67 GT. You need to purchase a three position switch. There is a good wiring diagram on Paul's site on how to correctly wire it.

The round single speed wiper also has a totally different parking system.

It really does make things better when caught in heavy rain. Rain-x works great, but a two speed wiper makes it safer.

Yes No Thank

To add your reply, or post your own questions

Registration is FREE and takes less than a minute!

Having trouble posting or changing forum settings?
Read the Forum Help (FAQ) or contact the webmaster