Moss Motors
AutoShrine Sponsor
AutoShrine Sponsor
AutoShrine Sponsor
AutoShrine Sponsor

MGBMKIVROADSTER1976 Avatar
MGBMKIVROADSTER1976 Roger Jusseaume
Jensen Beach, Florida, USA   USA

John Twist of University Motors has a very informative video on Roller Bearings. He has a great line of many other videos on MGB's

. Hide this ad & support a small business by becoming a Gold Supporting Member
Was this post helpful or interesting?
Yes No Thank
Basil Adams Avatar
About 12 miles from Sears Point, CA, USA   USA
That is the old metal housing bearing from india - they haven't been around for 15 years or more. The modern AP bearing (make sure to get AP) is in a composite housing and works perfectly every time and they're less than $30. Basil 707.762.09674 basiladams@yahoo.com

Basil C. Adams
1956 MGA Coupe (Show Car)
1957 MGA Roadster (Driver)
1958 MGA Coupe (Racecar)
1959 MGA Coupe (unrestored)
1960 MGA Coupe (unrestored)
1960 MGA Roadster (Driver)
MKIII Elva Courier (E1056)
1967 427 Cobra
1972 Alfa Romeo Montreal
A coupla late MGBs
1960 Austin Healy BN7
More Cars than Brains

Yes No Thank
benhutcherson Avatar
benhutcherson Gold Member Ben Hutcherson
Louisville/Frankfort, KY, USA   USA
1970 MG MGB
I asked John point blank about roller release bearing a few months ago.

His feeling at the time, at least as I understood it, was that the current production carbon release bearings are junk while roller bearings are pretty good quality. My understanding was that he'd install NOS carbon over either, but take one of the current good quality rollers over carbon.

I called him to ask about this specifically because he'd made a comment to me previously in passing that I was probably "better off" with a roller bearing than a new carbon. When I mentioned that in another thread here, someone who use to post here prolifically but is no longer active exchanged several PMs with me over my comment.

I've been running a roller bearing from a B&B clutch kit that Basil sold me since the fall of 2016. I think I have around 10K miles on it, and it hasn't given me a bit of trouble.

John's phone number is on his website, and he's not difficult to get hold of nor is he difficult to talk to. I've been fortunate to spend a decent amount of time on the phone with him over the years in addition to meeting him in person a few times. I know that what I've posted above is contrary to the above video, but it's also information from 2018 and not 2015. If you doubt me, pick up the phone and call John and ask him his current take on roller bearings.

+1 Yes No Thank
MGBMKIVROADSTER1976 Avatar
MGBMKIVROADSTER1976 Roger Jusseaume
Jensen Beach, Florida, USA   USA
Thanks Guys,
My Roller Bearing was from Moss Motors. It lasted almost 1,ooo miles. It looked very well made BUT, it was thicker than a stock bearing, It has/had a constant rubbing seemingly causing much friction & heat. I drive it the way it should be driven with minimal usage of holding the clutch in. I have bought a whole new Borg & Beck AP Driveline with a Carbon Bearing. New pilot bearing, dowels, nuts bolts, etc. Seems I can't win. My other NOS carbon bearing lasted only 5,000 miles. I am hoping this be my final bearing. What is most annoying, there are MG's around here that have 100,ooo miles plus on them, owned for many years and running same clutch & bearing. The bodies are rust buckets, etc. you get the picture.
I'll fill ya'll in whence I get the parts in & review them.
I think my car was a Monday built motor car …. lol.
Roger

Yes No Thank

To add your reply, or post your own questions

Registration is FREE and takes less than a minute!

Having trouble posting or changing forum settings?
Read the Forum Help (FAQ) or contact the webmaster