Visit our Twitter feed for more great content
MGExp

MGB & GT Forum

If you felt like selling your B, what would be your price?

Moss Motors
AutoShrine Sponsor
AutoShrine Sponsor
AutoShrine Sponsor
AutoShrine Sponsor

Stu Rodger Avatar
Oliver, BC, Canada   CAN
1980 MG MGB "Dorian"
Some days it's worthless and some days it's priceless.

. Hide this ad & support a small business by becoming a Gold Supporting Member
Was this post helpful or interesting?
+1 Yes No Thank
Donthuis Avatar
Donthuis Don van Riet
Rijswijk, ZH, Netherlands   NLD
Just got a new engine in and having OD and a CBB with fishmouth grill my guess is €15.000 may be achievable in springtime, when I throw all the spare parts into the offer as well
Still it will not be for sale as long as live and can move my legs under the period-true, 1971-1972 large steering wheel devil smiley

BTW it has LED's in all but the headlights, a full electronic fuel pump, startblock when gears are engaged and an intermittent wiping facility added. Radio is a period-true AM/FM Philips mono., with a motorised antenna sitting wellprotected under the fender. Of course bonnet and boot release have both been doubled against any eventuality preventing opening them the normal way grinning smiley

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2019-03-11 03:55 AM by Donthuis.

Yes No Thank
Edd Weninger Avatar
Arizona or SoCal, Overgaard AZ or H. Bch. CA, USA   USA
Now that I've got a 2007 Jaguar XK to play with, I might be putting my '77 MGB on the market this spring - circa $15,000.

http://www.britishv8.org/MG/EddWeninger.htm

Cheers,

Yes No Thank
Mustangsix Avatar
Mustangsix Gold Member Jack Collins
Orlando, FL, USA   USA
Dang it Noble.....

In reply to # 3905922 by Noble66 Everything has a price.

$13k. Hit me up.

Member Services:
Ceres Motorsports specializes in the repair, restoration, and customization of classic British cars including MG, Triumph, and many other makes.
Yes No Thank
Gerry Avatar
Gerry Gold Member Gerry Masterman
Prairieville, LA, USA   USA
Just sold #1 for $5K. #2 is up for the same price. Agreed replacement value is $10K I think. Driving weather is here-someone needs to buy it

Yes No Thank
a1972mgbgt Avatar
a1972mgbgt Michael Layman
Beaverton, OR, USA   USA
1960 MG MGA 1600
1968 MG Midget "Daisy Mae"
1972 MG MGB GT
I have too many MG's I would like to get this one too a new home
New Red Paint 4sp Overdrive good interior No rust ! $7000 Located in Portland Oregon
Wire Wheels

Attachments:
IMG_20130707_112840.jpg    63.6 KB
IMG_20130707_112840.jpg

20140909_153627 - Copy.jpg    55.2 KB
Sign In or Register to view this photo
Yes No Thank
jseabolt Avatar
jseabolt James Seabolt
Mount Carmel, TN, USA   USA
1977 MG MGB
As they say, something is only worth as much as someone is willing to pay. If you ask me, "how much should I spend on an engagement or wedding ring?". I'd reply, "As much money you can cram into a brown paper bag and set on fire".

This brings up a good question.

I have my other cars insured with Hagerty but have yet to add my MGB to my policy. What is the average value of a 77 MGB in very good condition but not immaculate condition? Good paint, top, chrome, interior, solid body. Some minor scratches and door dings, minor wear and tear on the interior. Not a concourse winner but in better condition that most seven year old cars on the road.

Hagerty wants photos when you submit a car. I want to give mine a good detailing before taking any photos. It's nasty inside and out. It's still up on jack stands in my garage. But I am almost there. I am chomping at the bit. Spring is just around the corner.

I usually insure a classic car for whatever I paid for it.

I gave $4000 for mine because of the physical condition of the car. I'm not sure if I got screwed or not considering the amount of work I've put into the car this winter. And $400 in parts so far.

My wife's cousin I bought the car from thought she could get by with a new rear brake hose and wanted me to fix it so she could sell it. I knew it was going to take more than that to get to the car where it needed to be. Otherwise she couldn't find anybody who was willing to give her any amount of money for it because the car could not be test driven because it had no brakes and had been sitting in a storage building for over three years. I asked her if the engine and transmission were good (gears didn't grind) and she said they were, so I took her word on it. Everything else could be fixed easily.

Once all the bugs are sort out, what is the average value of these cars in this condition?

http://s222.photobucket.com/user/turbofiat/library/?sort=2&page=0

1977 MGB
1980 Fiat 124 Spider (turbo)
1987 Yugo (1500 turbo)
1981 Trabant 601
1987 Citroen 2CV
1968 Ford Fairlane 500

Yes No Thank
Noble66 Avatar
Noble66 Gold Member Noble Bradford
Orlando, FL, USA   USA
1964 MG MGB "Black Betty"
1969 MG MGC GT
1974 MG MGB "Whitey"
In reply to # 3906303 by Mustangsix Dang it Noble.....

In reply to # 3905922 by Noble66 Everything has a price.

$13k. Hit me up.

Lol!! You know where it is and what it is Jack. Come and get it!!

Yes No Thank
danmas Avatar
danmas Dan Masters
Alcoa, Tennessee, USA   USA
1974 MG MGB GT V8 Conversion "Powered By Ford" ~ For Sale ! ~

Attachments:
21E94941-3115-4975-98CC-36459D7DE9FD.jpeg    81.2 KB
21E94941-3115-4975-98CC-36459D7DE9FD.jpeg

Yes No Thank
Norton Tom Avatar
Norton Tom Thomas Renda
Baltimore, Hon, MD, USA   USA
In reply to # 3906225 by Stu Rodger Some days it's worthless and some days it's priceless.

Ding ding ding! WINNER!

Yes No Thank
Noble66 Avatar
Noble66 Gold Member Noble Bradford
Orlando, FL, USA   USA
1964 MG MGB "Black Betty"
1969 MG MGC GT
1974 MG MGB "Whitey"
I knew someone that had a saying like this:

I wouldn’t pay a dollar for it but I wouldn’t sell it for a million.

In reply to # 3906225 by Stu Rodger Some days it's worthless and some days it's priceless.

Yes No Thank
danthefitman Avatar
danthefitman Dan The Fitman
Portland, OR, USA   USA
1979 MG MGB MkIII "Simply, A Great B!"
Yo Keith,

In that area, but a might bit higher.

My car is an original Overdrive as well. If guys remember, back in 2010 I polished the reverse teeth (before installation) on the side access plate, in the OD gearbox with a Dremel. It sure shifts into reverse like butter now. I got the overdrive from a 77 B, I did a gearbox swap. When I met John Twist, back in 2012 here in Oregon, he told me my engine number correlated with the Blue label overdrive that I installed. Someone took the overdrive out of my B many years ago and put in a 69, 4 speed. So now she's the way she should be. Love my MGB!

In reply to # 3905441 by lewk How about you Dan, what would your price be? I'd say $10,000.00 CDN for mine, but I won't sell.

1st Place Winner ABFM Portland Oregon 2008, 2010, 2011, 2012, 2013, 2014, 2015 & 2016!
Email me for questions or needs, I'll respond promptly! dan@allpointsorganized.com
Life. Positively in order.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 2019-03-10 08:07 PM by danthefitman.

Yes No Thank
mgv8glen Avatar
mgv8glen Gold Member Glenn Towery
Dover, DE, USA   USA
I bought my 74.5 GT in the fall of 82 when she had 63,000 miles on her ($2,300) In the fall of 83 I put the V8 in @ 103,000 miles. To day she has 711,335 miles on her & when I am DEAD you can buy her for the price of the funeral, that is the only way I will sell her, is AFTER I AM DEAD!!!

Attachments:
2186.JPG    51.7 KB
2186.JPG

IMAG0362.jpg    30.1 KB
IMAG0672.jpg    56.4 KB
20170526_095151.jpg    74.3 KB
2087.JPG    73.2 KB
2106.JPG    87.5 KB
Yes No Thank
Donthuis Avatar
Donthuis Don van Riet
Rijswijk, ZH, Netherlands   NLD
No wonder MGB's are still being hauled across the atlantic, in Europe one can easiliy fetch double your asking price for a repainted CBB Tourer from the fishmouth years eye rolling smiley

(Respraying any car is now extremely expensive because of environmental requirements, at least three times the Dutch Fl 3000 (€1350/$1500 eq.) price I paid in 1986 for my B respray)

In reply to # 3906350 by a1972mgbgt I have too many MG's I would like to get this one too a new home
New Red Paint 4sp Overdrive good interior No rust ! $7000 Located in Portland Oregon
Wire Wheels

Yes No Thank
lewk Avatar
lewk Silver Member Keith Lewis
Cambridge, ON, Canada   CAN
You have a great looking and running car Dan, and yes more than mine, but as I said, I won't sell mine and I hope you don't sell yours.

In reply to # 3906487 by danthefitman Yo Keith,

In that area, but a might bit higher.

My car is an original Overdrive as well. If guys remember, back in 2010 I polished the reverse teeth (before installation) on the side access plate, in the OD gearbox with a Dremel. It sure shifts into reverse like butter now. I got the overdrive from a 77 B, I did a gearbox swap. When I met John Twist, back in 2012 here in Oregon, he told me my engine number correlated with the Blue label overdrive that I installed. Someone took the overdrive out of my B many years ago and put in a 69, 4 speed. So now she's the way she should be. Love my MGB!

In reply to # 3905441 by lewk How about you Dan, what would your price be? I'd say $10,000.00 CDN for mine, but I won't sell.

Yes No Thank

To add your reply, or post your own questions

Registration is FREE and takes less than a minute!

Having trouble posting or changing forum settings?
Read the Forum Help (FAQ) or contact the webmaster