Visit our Twitter feed for more great content
MGExp

MGB & GT Forum

If you felt like selling your B, what would be your price?

Moss Motors
AutoShrine Sponsor
AutoShrine Sponsor
AutoShrine Sponsor
AutoShrine Sponsor

Norton Tom Avatar
Norton Tom Thomas Renda
Baltimore, Hon, MD, USA   USA
I bought my 71 BGT for $3,300 a year and a half ago. It ran but was badly out of tune. Since that time we have tuned it up so it runs really well (new fuel pump, ignition, and plug wires did the trick).

But I am in the middle of addressing worn out interior and some moderately ugly exterior cosmetic issues, If I sold it as is I would ask for $3K. Once I get the floorboards in, small rust spots filled and painted to match and the carpet, front seat covers and dash cover installed/replaced, and the exterior spruced up a bit, I would ask for $4K.

But I will never sell it -- I love the car, and its low value assures it would only be sold, even in an absolute emergency, after my Guzzi (LeMans), Norton and FZR400 were gone and I had exhausted my supply of black market food stamps.

(Anyway, it's going to my motorhead daughter when I shuffle off to the next act.. If I am good, there will be an E-Type waiting for me in heaven)

. Hide this ad & support a small business by becoming a Gold Supporting Member

Attachments:
mgb at wg.jpg    46.8 KB
mgb at wg.jpg

Was this post helpful or interesting?
Yes No Thank
geezer Avatar
geezer Silver Member charles durning
Magee, MS, USA   USA
1958 MG Magnette ZB "Chick Magnette (sold)"
1967 Morris Minor 1000 Saloon (2-door) "Marvin"
1974 MG MGB GT "Foghorn Leghorn"
Everything I own can be bought. The GT is about a $5K car. I would take something between $8K-$10K. The downside is then I would have to look for another GT.

"Whether you think you can do something, or you think you can't, you're correct"- Henry Ford

Yes No Thank
Sarge101st Avatar
Sarge101st Silver Member Brian S
Carlisle, PA, USA   USA
1977 Triumph Spitfire 1500 "Biggles"
1979 MG Midget 1500 "Grrr"
1980 MG MGB "Piddles"
In reply to # 3905625 by saanich2006 The question is, "what do you think your car is worth", and/but "what could you actually/realistically sell it for"?

Big differences in most cases.

Too true, and carrying what you posit a step further, I take "If you felt like selling..." as implying the latter in my perspective. At that point, emotional attachment or some summing of how much you put in it is no longer in play, I'm afraid.

I see this all the time here; a very old man or a family "selling" a Tri-Five Chev and justifying stupid money by summing the receipts in the binder that they will give you with the car. As a buyer it isn't incumbant on me to pay for what was your investment in the car. That is the money you spent for the pleasure you got in your pastime, not in some sort of investment guaranteed to make you or your heirs a profit upon cashing in.

Carrying this a little further, if the seller of that Tri-Five refuses to budge off that figure that is twice the worth of the car, its not sellable under those terms and therefore becomes functionally worthless; no buyer, no user, throw a tarp until the mice and rust have eaten it, and no-one gets any benifit whatsoever.

So, if I felt like selling, it would be for a realistic amount so the next guy could actually be found and have as much fun as I have had. It isn't the next guy's responsibility to pay for my hobby and my fun just because I dumped that money in it.

To fly in the face of how the perception of the car hobby has evolved in America and be brutally realistic perhaps, your first case, "What do you think your car is worth" is for all practical purposes meaningless. The reality is, "What is your car worth to the next guy".

Again, for thought...

Offence is the opiate of the humourless.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2019-03-09 11:12 AM by Sarge101st.

+1 Yes No Thank
  psksks76 thanked Sarge101st for this post
saanich2006 Avatar
saanich2006 Robert Browning
Atlanta, GA, USA   USA
In reply to # 3905664 by Sarge101st
In reply to # 3905625 by saanich2006 The question is, "what do you think your car is worth", and/but "what could you actually/realistically sell it for"?

Big differences in most cases.

Too true, and carrying what you posit a step further, I take "If you felt like selling..." as implying the latter in my perspective. At that point, emotional attachment or some summing of how much you put in it is no longer in play, I'm afraid.

I see this all the time here; a very old man or a family "selling" a Tri-Five Chev and justifying stupid money by summing the receipts in the binder that they will give you with the car. As a buyer it isn't incumbant on me to pay for what was your investment in the car. That is the money you spent for the pleasure you got in your pastime, not in some sort of investment guaranteed to make you or your heirs a profit upon cashing in.

Carrying this a little further, if the seller of that Tri-Five refuses to budge off that figure that is twice the worth of the car, its not sellable under those terms and therefore becomes functionally worthless; no buyer, no user, throw a tarp until the mice and rust have eaten it, and no-one gets any benifit whatsoever.

So, if I felt like selling, it would be for a realistic amount so the next guy could actually be found and have as much fun as I have had. It isn't the next guy's responsibility to pay for my hobby and my fun just because I dumped that money in it.

To fly in the face of how the perception of the car hobby has evolved in America and be brutally realistic perhaps, your first case, "What do you think your car is worth" is for all practical purposes meaningless. The reality is, "What is your car worth to the next guy".

Again, for thought...

Brian,

Thank you. This is exactly what I was trying to say!

"He had delusions of adequacy."

Law of Mechanical Repair - After your hands become coated with grease, your nose will begin to itch and you'll have to pee.

Yes No Thank
Nicecar Avatar
Nicecar Gary (ex "Harv") G
Victoria, BC, Canada   CAN
1980 MG MGB "Red On Red On Red"
Trying to inform folks that a nice MG can be had for $7K, I often ask folks how much they think my car is worth; I've gotten everything from $3K to $80K.

But I know it's worth $15K, not just because of the shape it is in, but the many many things that add REAL value, that some features few do. I love my intermittent wipers. I just finished my secondary boot release, that too few folks do. (Did secondary bonnet some years ago.) Right now is a thread of member locked out of boot.

However, ain't never going to sell, my first, one and only.

Yes No Thank
Rod H. Avatar
Amity, OR, USA   USA
1964 MG MGB
1968 MG MGB GT
I feel like I'd be lucky to get what I have them insured for with Hagerty, so that would be my asking price. If I thought they were worth more then that would be saying they are under insured, which I hope isn't the case!

I can't understand why people are frightened of new ideas. I'm frightened of the old ones. John Cage

'63 MGB
'68 MGBGT
'80 VW Vanagon Kombi
'09 Mazda 3 with 5 speed manual

Yes No Thank
Cocoa, FL, USA   USA
I would prefer to trade even for a different old car in the same condition. Foreign or domestic from the teens through the sixties. My wife wants something a little easier to get in and out of. Mine runs great and is fun to drive.74 chrome bumper with pillow dash and no overdrive.white with black interior. If anyone has anything let me know. Thanks.Greg.

Yes No Thank
Cmpozr Avatar
Cmpozr Ray Weidner
Forest, VA, USA   USA
When I first got my TR-6 back on the road, I drove it around the block and a divorced neighbor (an MGTD guy) stopped me. He said he had a TR-6 once but sold it. Obviously, he regretted it. Then he added, "You can always get a new wife, but you can't get a new TR-6!".

My MGB (AND the TR-6) is not for sale at any price.

74 Chrome Bumper MGB
71 Triumph TR-6 (original owner)

"Every LBC is a rolling restoration."
"These are the cars that try men's souls."
"The past is a nice place to visit, but I wouldn't want to live there."

Yes No Thank
Noble66 Avatar
Noble66 Gold Member Noble Bradford
Orlando, FL, USA   USA
1964 MG MGB "Black Betty"
1969 MG MGC GT
1974 MG MGB "Whitey"
Everything has a price.

$13k. Hit me up.

Attachments:
F4DA512C-AD51-410B-A4F5-4A16C52BCBD8.jpeg    68 KB
F4DA512C-AD51-410B-A4F5-4A16C52BCBD8.jpeg

345D7CEC-D3D6-446F-AAF8-BFFC62A13721.jpeg    45.6 KB
Sign In or Register to view this photo
Yes No Thank
RoosterB Avatar
RoosterB Simon B
NW, Lancs, UK   GBR
1978 MG MGB
£5000 and might put up for sale this year.

Attachments:
IMG_0034.JPG    43.1 KB
IMG_0034.JPG

Yes No Thank
Fairfield, CA, USA   USA
My 73 is for sale, w/Datsun 5 speed. $8K, add 1K to include 2 extra tops, spare 18V engine, CAM head, set of valves & dbl springs (for 2923 head), spare fuel pump, water pump, rebuildable radiators, and lots of new and used parts, including an as-yet unused Jeff-built points distributor! As well as a lot of other stuff.

1973 Pale Primrose Roadster. A nice 10-footer!
SUs, Datsun 5-speed

Yes No Thank
cunhab Avatar
cunhab Bruce Cunha
Placerville, CA, USA   USA
1950 MG TD
1967 MG MGB GT
Probably 13 to 15,000. Fresh rebuild on the motor, with upgrade cam. Overdrive Trans. Chrome wires.

Attachments:
2013-07-27 18.14.20.jpg    39.1 KB
2013-07-27 18.14.20.jpg

Yes No Thank
Ex-Calif Avatar
Ex-Calif Gold Member Dan D
Cincinnati, OH, USA   USA
1968 MG MGB GT "Bart - Yellow And Naughty"
1977 MG MGB "Red Betty"
2012 Jeep Liberty "Tank"
2014 Hyundai Accent "Skate"
I've been offered $6500 for the GT - Nothing special except mechanically great and OD tranny.

The roadster I have about $5k in it - Mechanically great, twin SU, TT sport exhaust. Cosmetically not so great. It's probably worth $3k to someone due to cosmetics.

Neither one is for sale. Probably would take $10k for the GT but that's probably not what it's worth.

The goal - Reliable summer driver interspersed with mechanical tinkering...
Motto - "Driving fifty in the twisties..."
On Mods - It's your damn car - Do what you want. Haters gonna hate...
On SUVs - Drive your B like a soccer mom is texting her friends about how she wants to kill you...
Red Betty - http://www.mgexp.com/registry/GHN5UH418165
Bart - http://www.mgexp.com/registry/GHD4U146898G

Attachments:
2017-07-29 20.56.19.jpg    38.9 KB
2017-07-29 20.56.19.jpg

2015-06-16 20.04.30.jpg    59.7 KB
Sign In or Register to view this photo
Yes No Thank
Andrys Posthuma Avatar
Delft, Z-H, Netherlands   NLD
1935 MG N-Type Magnette
1976 MG MGB GT "The B"
About 250 times the age of the prospective buyer. Many of us want young guys to join the club - this is a way to to it.

Yes No Thank
Sarge101st Avatar
Sarge101st Silver Member Brian S
Carlisle, PA, USA   USA
1977 Triumph Spitfire 1500 "Biggles"
1979 MG Midget 1500 "Grrr"
1980 MG MGB "Piddles"
In reply to # 3906168 by Andrys Posthuma About 250 times the age of the prospective buyer. Many of us want young guys to join the club - this is a way to to it.

I have told my family they can have any of them and the tooling they'd like. The remainders they have been told to sell at just enough to make a young person remember they earned it, perhaps done through the school vo-tech programme, so they can play, enjoy, and learn. The remaining tools go to our vo-tech program directly. I won't change the world, but maybe one little bit.

Once you get out of the metropolitan corridor on either coast in America, there are young people who are very talented with their hands and like working with machinery. Their approach might be different from mine, since my approach is nostalgia driven, but we have young folks here who grow up mechanically inspired and also become very capable farm-business people. They aren't hipsters.

Offence is the opiate of the humourless.

Yes No Thank

To add your reply, or post your own questions

Registration is FREE and takes less than a minute!

Having trouble posting or changing forum settings?
Read the Forum Help (FAQ) or contact the webmaster