AutoShrine Sponsor
AutoShrine Sponsor
AutoShrine Sponsor
AutoShrine Sponsor

Mike P in Tucson Avatar
Mike P in Tucson Michael Parisi
Tucson, AZ, USA   USA
1966 MG MGB "Maurice"
Through browsing these forum posts, I think I have found the body number of my 1967 MGB. The stamped numbers are very worn, though, so I'm not sure about it.

The plate says (I think) MGB 076036

Anyone else who has a 1967 MGB -- is your body number similar? I just sent for my certificate from British Heritage, so if this doesn't look right, let me know so I can contact them.

. Hide banner ads & support this website by becoming a > Gold Supporting Member <
ohlord Avatar
ohlord Gold Member Rob C
North of Seattle, N.W., USA   USA
1957 Land Rover Series I "EYEYIYI"
1971 MG MGB
1971 MG MGB "Bedouin 2"
No VIN number ?

"I'm a long way gone down this wild road I'm on
It's gonna take me where I'm bound
It's a long way around"

"These are the days that must happen to you"

RD2 Radar/ Electronic Warfare Technician
Vietnam 1969-1972

jjonns74 Avatar
jjonns74 Gold Member John Dailey
MacDill AFB, Tampa, FL, USA   USA
1974 MG MGB "Athena"
1974 MG MGB "Apollo"
Location of said plate ???

Pic of plate helpful

. Hide banner ads & support this website by becoming a > Gold Supporting Member <
Mike P in Tucson Avatar
Tucson, AZ, USA   USA
1966 MG MGB "Maurice"
The plate is on the inside of the left front fender, right across from the carburetor. I took a pic, but can't make out anything in the picture

VIN is GHN 3-L/79778
Engine is 18GB-U-H 32413

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2019-02-09 06:44 PM by Mike P in Tucson.

ohlord Avatar
ohlord Gold Member Rob C
1971 MG MGB
1971 MG MGB "Bedouin 2"
It's a 1966
Give heritage the vin and they will confirm
the engine number corresponds to that time frame.

It's a long way around"

Vietnam 1969-1972

Mike P in Tucson Avatar
Tucson, AZ, USA   USA
1966 MG MGB "Maurice"
I tried to tell MVD it was a 1966, years ago (after doing some research), but the title says 1967 (even though it was first registered in March 1966. The reason I tried telling them it was a '66? In Arizona, cars from 1967 forward need to be emission tested. Earlier cars do not.

I unscrewed the plate. Will remove the paint tomorrow and find out for sure. The reason I wanted the body # was for the Heritage Certificate and I hadn't found it when I sent in the order. Do they really need the body # to accurately research it? I did give them the VIN # and engine #

Diver648 Gold Member Warren Siringer
Tucson, AZ, USA   USA
1967 MG MGB
1967 MG MGB GT
1969 MG MGB MkII
1971 MG MGB GT    & more
I had the same experience with the DMV. You can't win. My 67 is 99874 so I think your slash mark is really a number. The number is also stamped on a plate on the subframe about below the rear bolt for the front crossmember on the passenger side to confirm. Mine was made October 1966 and the 67 GT May 1966 but still classified as 1967 based on first date of registration. Arizona is so far behind the rest of the country. Do you have a number plate on the passenger side close to the grill. I have never seen one screwed near the carburetors. I thought the number plates were riveted.

gofastandfalldown Avatar
gofastandfalldown Glen Horne
Edmonton, AB, Canada   CAN
1970 MG MGB MkII "Miss Pandora Moneypit"
Suppose a person did a barn-find of an old MGB (or any other car) that had never been registered at all. Perhaps someone bought it and died before it got registered and his widow put it in the barn. Does that mean if someone registered it now at DMV, it would be a 2019? Just a thought....

In reply to # 3888886 by Diver648 I had the same experience with the DMV. You can't win. My 67 is 99874 so I think your slash mark is really a number. The number is also stamped on a plate on the subframe about below the rear bolt for the front crossmember on the passenger side to confirm. Mine was made October 1966 and the 67 GT May 1966 but still classified as 1967 based on first date of registration. Arizona is so far behind the rest of the country. Do you have a number plate on the passenger side close to the grill. I have never seen one screwed near the carburetors. I thought the number plates were riveted.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2019-02-09 11:43 PM by gofastandfalldown.

EmgesMG Avatar
EmgesMG Robert Emge
Red Bluff Ca., USA   USA
The number near the carburetor is not the vin, it is the body number from Pressed Steel as I understand it. Interesting thought Glen as I have infrequently seen cars held by dealers and never registered come up for sale, maybe somebody who bought some of them chevy's from the midwest a couple years ago could tell us as all those cars were held in "suspension"

Edit, guess I should have read the title of this post, BODY NUMBER, now I got iteye popping smiley

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2019-02-10 12:03 AM by EmgesMG.

ohlord Avatar
ohlord Gold Member Rob C
1971 MG MGB
1971 MG MGB "Bedouin 2"
They can't deny the change
Once you have the heritage cert take the paperwork in and get it changed
The first 1967 didn't hit the streets until Nov 1966

In reply to # 3888833 by Mike P in Tucson I tried to tell MVD it was a 1966, years ago (after doing some research), but the title says 1967 (even though it was first registered in March 1966. The reason I tried telling them it was a '66? In Arizona, cars from 1967 forward need to be emission tested. Earlier cars do not.

I unscrewed the plate. Will remove the paint tomorrow and find out for sure. The reason I wanted the body # was for the Heritage Certificate and I hadn't found it when I sent in the order. Do they really need the body # to accurately research it? I did give them the VIN # and engine #

It's a long way around"

Vietnam 1969-1972

Diver648 Gold Member Warren Siringer
Tucson, AZ, USA   USA
1967 MG MGB
1967 MG MGB GT
1969 MG MGB MkII
1971 MG MGB GT    & more
I even took Clausingers book down with the production dates to show the DMV. They did not want to even look at it. Requested a supervisor who listened and still said no. Tucson has 3 offices, the one in Marana is the easiest to get along with. For the 69, I went to a third party agency. Much easier and they listen to reason, even go so far as to research older vehicles in a book rather than just the computer. For the age old unregistered barn find, Arizona would require it to meet 2019 emission standards to register it. Then it would fail emissions testing as it was not exactly as from the manufacturer for the visual test even though passing the test on the rollers. There is an exclusion for classic cars not to be driven more than 1000 miles annually similar to some other states. One of my pet peeves

Mike P in Tucson Avatar
Tucson, AZ, USA   USA
1966 MG MGB "Maurice"
Warren, yes, the number plate on the passenger side, forward of the radiator is the GHN number. The body number , across from the carb, was screwed on and is, I think "MGB 076036"

The slash in the GHN number is definitely a slash.

I have found out that I can bypass emission testing if I have collectible car insurance. I posed the question to MVD and here was their response:

"In order to get an emissions exemption, you must have collectible insurance on the vehicle.
Certain vehicles that meet the underwriting requirements for a collectible vehicle insurance coverage may be eligible for exemption from the Arizona vehicle emissions testing requirements.

This process requires the insurance company to initiate, identify, and report the process by electronically transmitting collectible insurance policy and/or binder information for a Collectible Vehicle to the Motor Vehicle Division (MVD) Mandatory Insurance (MI) Unit. or
The customer must provide proof of collectible vehicle insurance, which may include an original policy or binder issued by the insurance company or a faxed policy declarations form, binder, or written statement on the insurance agent’s letterhead stating the policy meets all statutory requirements for the State of Arizona for collectible vehicles."

balloonfoot Avatar
balloonfoot Gold Member Lloyd Faust
Southlake, TX, USA   USA
Heritage will not have a record of the "MGB" number. It is not the body number, it is an inventory number installed at Bodies Branch in Coventry. The body number is on a spot welded tab on the same side of the inner fender as the VIN plate......down at the grill opening where the fender bolts to the inner fender behind the grill. Look for it.

Law of Logical Argument - Anything is possible if you don't know what you are talking about.

"Anyone with an intense emotional interest in a subject loses the ability to observe it objectively: You selectively perceive events. You ignore data and facts that disagree with your main philosophy. Even your memory works to fool you, as you selectively retain what you believe in, and subtly mask any memories that might conflict."

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2019-02-10 11:49 AM by balloonfoot.

Mike P in Tucson Avatar
Tucson, AZ, USA   USA
1966 MG MGB "Maurice"
OK, I found the one you mentioned. Almost impossible to read it, but it seems like it is (may be) the same number as on the plate on the driver's side -- 076036

Attachments:
DSCN0550.JPG    41.6 KB
DSCN0550.JPG

ohlord Avatar
ohlord Gold Member Rob C
1971 MG MGB
1971 MG MGB "Bedouin 2"
Certified
official ‘Certified Copy of a Factory Record’, more commonly known as a Heritage Certificate. This can be helpful when applying for tax exemption or to obtain an age-related Registration Mark.
registration for my 1957 Series 1 Land Rover read 1958
Took the manual and cert to Inspection center the paperwork now reads 1957

It's a long way around"

Vietnam 1969-1972

Attachments:
Screenshot_20190115-130012_Photos.jpg    27.1 KB
Screenshot_20190115-130012_Photos.jpg

To add your reply, or post your own questions

Registration is FREE and takes less than a minute!

Having trouble posting or changing forum settings?
Read the Forum Help (FAQ) or contact the webmaster