AutoShrine Sponsor
AutoShrine Sponsor
AutoShrine Sponsor
AutoShrine Sponsor

Mike P in Tucson Avatar
Mike P in Tucson Michael Parisi
Tucson, AZ, USA   USA
1966 MG MGB "Maurice"
I ordered the Heritage Certificate yesterday. I am certain it will come back showing that it is a 1966. Which will make absolutely no difference to the people at MVD

. Hide banner ads & support this website by becoming a > Gold Supporting Member <
balloonfoot Avatar
balloonfoot Gold Member Lloyd Faust
Southlake, TX, USA   USA
In reply to # 3889177 by Mike P in Tucson I ordered the Heritage Certificate yesterday. I am certain it will come back showing that it is a 1966. Which will make absolutely no difference to the people at MVD

It will say when it was built. It will not say a model year.

Law of Logical Argument - Anything is possible if you don't know what you are talking about.

"Anyone with an intense emotional interest in a subject loses the ability to observe it objectively: You selectively perceive events. You ignore data and facts that disagree with your main philosophy. Even your memory works to fool you, as you selectively retain what you believe in, and subtly mask any memories that might conflict."

ohlord Avatar
ohlord Gold Member Rob C
North of Seattle, N.W., USA   USA
1957 Land Rover Series I "EYEYIYI"
1971 MG MGB
1971 MG MGB "Bedouin 2"
The numbers are published as to model year change over
Easy to prove a car built and dispatched in November 1965 is a 1966 MY

"I'm a long way gone down this wild road I'm on
It's gonna take me where I'm bound
It's a long way around"

"These are the days that must happen to you"

RD2 Radar/ Electronic Warfare Technician
Vietnam 1969-1972

. Hide banner ads & support this website by becoming a > Gold Supporting Member <
Mike P in Tucson Avatar
Tucson, AZ, USA   USA
1966 MG MGB "Maurice"
I got the paint off the spot welded tag in the right front fender and the number is 75809. So that would be the body number?

I guess, other than the emission testing issue, as long as I can get the correct parts for the car using the VIN and the engine number, it really doesn't matter, right?

Now the really important question -- on THIS forum, should it be 1967 or 1966?smileys with beer

ohlord Avatar
ohlord Gold Member Rob C
1971 MG MGB
1971 MG MGB "Bedouin 2"
A 1966 here on the forum

It's a long way around"

Vietnam 1969-1972

Diver648 Gold Member Warren Siringer
Tucson, AZ, USA   USA
1967 MG MGB
1967 MG MGB GT
1969 MG MGB MkII
1971 MG MGB GT    & more
I took a copy of the insurance policy with me and no problems other than they would not let me use my historic plate. That was a 3rd party on the East side that were not very helpful, actually not very nice at all. The one on Thornydale about a block and a half on the left past Costco is much better to deal with. Now if my current plate were to get lost or stolen.... At the October car show, there is a vendor with unissued historic plates. I do have one for the 67 GT and reused my original on the 74. Adds a nice touch.

Hot4aB Avatar
Hot4aB Silver Member Richard Gray
Phoenix, AZ, USA   USA
I have Hagerty insurance for my 66 B. When I went to register it at a third party MVD agency (in Tempe), they took one look at the Hagerty proof of insurance and immediately waived the emissions test requirement; no more discussion.
Easy!

Richard Gray

Mike P in Tucson Avatar
Tucson, AZ, USA   USA
1966 MG MGB "Maurice"
Good to know. I already got a quote from Hagerty, so just need to pay them and get the policy.

Warren -- any idea why they wouldn't let you get a historic vehicle plate?

ohlord Avatar
ohlord Gold Member Rob C
1971 MG MGB
1971 MG MGB "Bedouin 2"
I think he's talking about a real vintage license plate not a state issued collector platethumbs up
In reply to # 3889769 by Mike P in Tucson Good to know. I already got a quote from Hagerty, so just need to pay them and get the policy.

Warren -- any idea why they wouldn't let you get a historic vehicle plate?

It's a long way around"

Vietnam 1969-1972

Mike P in Tucson Avatar
Tucson, AZ, USA   USA
1966 MG MGB "Maurice"
Warren or Richard,

When I go down to register it and get the historic plate, do you know if I have to take in my old plate? I may do that this week, since I just bought my Hagerty policy.

Hot4aB Avatar
Hot4aB Silver Member Richard Gray
Phoenix, AZ, USA   USA
For my MGB, I took the plate with me, and the MVD lady took it away. On other cars, I just kept it.
I was exchanging the plate for a 66 plate that I bought on eBay.

Richard

Richard Gray

cschaefer Silver Member Chuck Schaefer
West Chicago, IL, USA   USA
If I read Clausager correctly, 1969 was the 1st year that the factory actually used a "model year". Those were actually produced starting in Nov of 1968. Prior to that, the MGB simply had running changes and were not listed as model years. There was a change in Dec of '67 to a MKII model but I did' see reference to the model year 1968.

Maybe I'm wrong?

Diver648 Gold Member Warren Siringer
Tucson, AZ, USA   USA
1967 MG MGB
1967 MG MGB GT
1969 MG MGB MkII
1971 MG MGB GT    & more
They do typically take the old plate to destroy so if it has sentimental value, I would not take it. The plate I was trying to use on the 67 was a period correct never issued plate. When I went to the 3rd party on Thornydale, I took the old plate that came with the car. They advised me to not show them the plate as that would just open a can or worms contacting the owner from 32 years ago. I did keep it as part of the cars history. Same with the old registration. I think the 3rd party on the east side either had no clue or was having a bad day. It was late in the day so maybe she just wanted to get out of there. The one on Speedway has a good reputation too. Last time I went to main DMV, I was there for 5 hours so will never do that again. The one in Marana is not nearly as busy if you want to go to the DMV instead of going 3rd party.

ohlord Avatar
ohlord Gold Member Rob C
1971 MG MGB
1971 MG MGB "Bedouin 2"
http://www.zeke.ne.jp/~glitter/main/html/mgb/mgbdata/MGBdata1.html

It's a long way around"

Vietnam 1969-1972

Mike P in Tucson Avatar
Tucson, AZ, USA   USA
1966 MG MGB "Maurice"
Thanks for that link, Rob!

Went down to MVD this morning. Warren, it was the eastside MVD office, just off 22nd Street. Walked in at 11:05 AM, walked out at 11:20 AM with THIS. Fast and efficient, never thought I would hear myself say that about MVD. They asked if I still had the old plate, but said to just keep it.

Attachments:
DSCN0558.JPG    45.2 KB
DSCN0558.JPG

To add your reply, or post your own questions

Registration is FREE and takes less than a minute!

Having trouble posting or changing forum settings?
Read the Forum Help (FAQ) or contact the webmaster

Join The Club

Sign in to ask questions, share photos, and access all website features

Your Cars

1960 MG MGA 1600

Text Size

Larger Smaller
Reset Save

Sponsor Links