The all-new Front Page News Feed is now live   Read the announcement
MGExp

MGB & GT Forum

Has anyone used Moss' Exhaust heat shield?

Moss Motors
AutoShrine Sponsor
AutoShrine Sponsor
AutoShrine Sponsor
AutoShrine Sponsor

MG Geezer Avatar
MG Geezer Silver Member Dave Gardner
Morton, IL, USA   USA
1973 MG MGB GT "Rosie"
1974 MG MGB "Maggie (sold)"
Moss has had this product in their catalog for a couple years now and I wonder if anyone has used it and what comments you can make about it. This is product #409-120, sells for $149.99. Guess it fits between the floor board and the exhaust pipe to lower the heat coming into the cockpit. The floor board in my '73 BGT gets pretty warm particularly around the transmission tunnel and was wondering if this shield would help. I already have a Hushmat-type material over the transmission tunnel, but that is only marginally helpful. Any other suggestions??

. Hide this ad & support a small business by becoming a Gold Supporting Member
Was this post helpful or interesting?
Yes No Thank
dohc281 Avatar
dohc281 Silver Member Ira Eckstein
Laurel Springs, NJ, USA   USA
If you have the muffler under the driver then removing it and replacing it with pipe would increase your ground clearance, increase your exhaust sound and decrease the heat in that area.

If you hit your pony over the nose at the outset of your acquaintance, he may not love you, but he will take a deep interest in your movements ever afterwards.

Rudyard Kipling

Yes No Thank
BFC Avatar
BFC Ben Clark
Allegan, MI, USA   USA
1980 MG MGB "Kilr B"
1980 MG MGB MkIV
I own one but have never installed it. It’s heavy gauge steel with a thermal blanket on one side. I suspect it would work great, but because of how it is mounted, it doesn’t work well with an aftermarket header. You have to cut and re-bend the front part of it and I haven’t been that interested.

If you have the stock exhaust manifold, it should fit just fine.

I don't know. It's always smoked like that/made that sound/done that.

Yes No Thank
wrightgcbuilder Avatar
wrightgcbuilder Gold Member Dan Wright
North Platte, NE, USA   USA
I too, have one sitting in the wings. All I can say is that it is very well made. I see no reason why it wouldn't reduce heat at that point. Considering that new cars use similar heat shields in that location, I'm pretty sure Moss has something here.

I was going to install mine on one of my roadsters, but I think I have a better spot for it in a Toaster GT.

Yes No Thank
RonnieMac Avatar
RonnieMac Gold Member Ron McDonald
Rosthern, SK, Canada   CAN
1952 MG TD
1971 MG MGB
I have the heat shield installed on my 1971 B Roadster.

My exhaust is stock.

The heat shield contributes to a considerably cooler foot well when travelling on a hot day. My feet used to get uncomfortably hot on the highway, but no longer.

My only reservation is that the heat shield blocks one of the engine mounts that I normally would place a jackstand under. That situation is a minor inconvenience.

Ron
1952 MGTD 15539
1971 MGB GHN5UB237226

Yes No Thank
LannM Avatar
LannM Platinum Member Lann Mauck
Claremore, OK, USA   USA
1958 MG Magnette ZB Varitone "The Queen"
1963 MG MGB
1967 MG MGB GT
I have one on my 67 GT and it does reduce floorboard temp.

I have the same problem as Ron. The shield is right where the left front arm of my lift hits the car. I'm sure I'll work something out, bit it is a minor annoyance..

Lann

Lann Mauck
Three Main LLC
Desktop Badge Bars and other odds and ends
www.ThreeMainLLC.com

Member Services:
Desk Top Badge Bars, GT Spare Tire Cover Strut Kits, Dipstick Toppers and other odds and ends.
Yes No Thank
lgorg Avatar
lgorg Larry Gorg
Renton, WA, USA   USA
1966 MG MGB "Robbie"
No, I have not used the Moss Heat Shield. I had the muffler or silencer removed from under the driver's feet. There is a new muffler in the back next to the gas tank, and a strait through exhaust pipe now stretches back to the new muffler. Its been that way for a couple of years. Been thinking of replacing the muffler with a glas pak as the exhaust is too quiet IMHO. But my feet don't miss the hot floor under the driver's seat!

-1 Yes No Thank
MGBBob80 Avatar
MGBBob80 Gold Member Bob Finley
Bremerton, WA, USA   USA
1971 MG MGB GT
1978 Volkswagen Transporter (Bus) "Buddy"
1980 MG MGB "Magoo"
2005 Harley-Davidson Touring "Big Red"
I've had one on the roadster for about 3 years now and like it. It's well made and cabin floorboard temps are comfortable. My exhaust system is similar to the one on your '73 including the front muffler that resides below the driver.

Cheers,
Bob Finley

Yes No Thank
ted535is Ted S
Allentown, PA, USA   USA
I've had one in my GT for 2 years and like it. Makes a big difference.

Yes No Thank
mgcyclo Avatar
mgcyclo Tim Rich
Township of Washinghton, NJ, USA   USA
I stole their idea and made my own ( mine is a V8 conversion). Not only did it control the heat it also isolated some noise.

Yes No Thank
BFC Avatar
BFC Ben Clark
Allegan, MI, USA   USA
1980 MG MGB "Kilr B"
1980 MG MGB MkIV
So... as an alternative, has anyone tried any of the new muffler wraps that Moss is selling now? Lightweight. Easy to install. Seems like a nice alternative to the more expensive heat shield.

I don't know. It's always smoked like that/made that sound/done that.

Yes No Thank
Noble66 Avatar
Noble66 Gold Member Noble Bradford
Orlando, FL, USA   USA
1964 MG MGB "Black Betty"
1969 MG MGC GT
1974 MG MGB "Whitey"
Thanks guys. I was on the fence about this. I heard the negative nancies in hear saying it’s too expensive, make your own, doesn’t work, etc.

But these are some solid reviews.

I’m installing a Moss AC unit in my 66B this spring and I like this more than sticking down all that hush mat. I’m also putting in some heat shield on the underside of the tunnel. That should help the AC keep the car relatively cool.

I’ve been driving nothing but MG’s for the last 12 1/2 years. In Florida. So yeah, it’ll be an improvement.

Yes No Thank
DrewM Avatar
DrewM Drew Maddock
74 MGB roadster, Southern California, USA   USA
I've had one installed on my '74 roadster for at least five years now. The interior still gets hot, but it does reduce the heat of the scorching, shoe-melting driver's side floor enough to be worthwhile.

I also had the middle muffler removed to help reduce the heat some more. That muffler really isn't needed and removing it produces no ill effects except a bit more noise. To deal with that, I had a new rear muffler installed, as well.

The key to reducing heat inside the car is to keep it out of the car in the first place. External heat shields are the best way to do this -- which is why modern auto manufacturers heat shield the outside of their cars. Once the sheet metal of the car is hot, no amount of interior insulation will solve the problem. So this heat shield is a good idea. I'm waiting for Moss to develop an external engine-transmission heat shield since that's where the majority of the heat comes into the car. I have no idea if that's even possible, and it would be pretty expensive, I'd guess.

I also had a/c installed a few years ago, too. (You may notice a theme here.) It's so nice on a hot day. I just wasn't able to drive the car in the daytime in the summer. Be aware, however, that a/c in a leaky car like an MG -- especially the roadster -- doesn't do what it does in a modern car. On a modern car, you can recirculate the air as it cools more and more. On an MGB, there are so many leaks you're probably never going to get a stable interior temperature, but you will have a nice flow of cold air blowing on you. In a BGT, I'd imagine there are fewer leaks, so maybe it will work even better. A/c is a life saver to me. Along with a zip-out rear window which also helps. Why is there no postage stamp for the inventor of air conditioning?

Heat! What's it good for? Absolutely nothin'. Uh!

Drew Maddock, So. Calif. USofA

Yes No Thank
Gromit Avatar
Gromit Larry Heaps
Street, MD, USA   USA
1974 MG MGB "74 Moss"
I purchased one when it was first offered for my GT. It works, not great, but made a difference. Yes, you can make one cheaper, but that's not the question here.
FYI, Don't follow the enclosed directions too closely, just bend it a little, place, then bend back to original shape, not really an issue worth talking about. I'd buy again.
LHH

Yes No Thank
GlennMGB Avatar
GlennMGB Silver Member Glenn G
Fort Worth, TX, USA   USA
1965 Triumph TR4A
1967 MG MGB GT "Rose"

Yes No Thank

To add your reply, or post your own questions

Registration is FREE and takes less than a minute!

Having trouble posting or changing forum settings?
Read the Forum Help (FAQ) or contact the webmaster