AutoShrine Sponsor

29desoto Avatar
29desoto Gold Member Wayne Sanders
Outside Otis, OR - in the woods!, USA   USA
1965 MG MGB V6 Conversion "Carmine"
1968 MG MGB GT "New Yeller"
1973 MG MGB GT "Eliza - FIRST PLACE - MG2013"
1984 Chevrolet Corvette "The Green Weenie"    & more
Is great if you need it. I've used it twice in recent times.

The first time, all I needed was a jack. Had bought the yellow GT not long before and saw a jack in the boot, but didn't notice it wouldn't work! Flat tire, so Hagerty sends a guy with a jack. He came about 115 miles to loan me the jack.

Second time was last week, when I got the V-6 stuck in a snowbank down in central Oregon. Hagerty was going to send someone the next day (it was a war zone out there). But the truck would have come about 120 miles up over the mountains.

The reason I bring this up is that in both of my cases, the closest tow outfit that was registered with them was well over 100 miles away.

If you use Hagerty, find your local tow company and get them to register to tow for Hagerty. It's pretty simple, and then if someone needs a tow in your area, it's covered.

OR - Before you call for roadside service, find the number of a couple of local tow companies. Then tell the Hagerty rep that you'd like to use Joe's Towing, or whatever.

But even while I was stuck in the snowbank, they arranged a local cop to come take me to a hotel, and make sure my car was secure. Pretty dern decent, IMHO.

Wayne Sanders
Rose Lodge, OR
(TD 4288)

"I don't care to belong to any club that accepts people like me"-joined Willamette Valley Club in 2011

73 MGB-GT virtually stole this one. Someone up there likes me.

68 MGB-GT the daily mule. Solid as a rock, but rattles like a can full of them!

79/65 MGB - Carmine- V-6 - T-5
This car is now very nearly completely done. Sure to find something else, but not now.........

. Hide this ad & support a small business by becoming a Gold Supporting Member
Was this post helpful or interesting?
+2 Yes No Thank
chris Avatar
chris Platinum Member Chris Roop
Pendleton, OR, USA   USA
They called a cop? Why not a cab? Did they tell you they were sending a cop?

Member Services:
Used English car parts.
Yes No Thank
rocannon Avatar
rocannon Platinum Member Frank .
Clairvius Narcisse Township, Bokor, St. Kitts and Nevis   KNA
1967 MG MGB GT "GT From Hell"
1980 MG MGB "Restored By Photoshop Inc."
And one the same policy, can’t you also call them for your daily (non-classic) drivers?

In reply to # 3905679 by 29desoto Is great if you need it. I've used it twice in recent times.

The first time, all I needed was a jack. Had bought the yellow GT not long before and saw a jack in the boot, but didn't notice it wouldn't work! Flat tire, so Hagerty sends a guy with a jack. He came about 115 miles to loan me the jack.

Second time was last week, when I got the V-6 stuck in a snowbank down in central Oregon. Hagerty was going to send someone the next day (it was a war zone out there). But the truck would have come about 120 miles up over the mountains.

The reason I bring this up is that in both of my cases, the closest tow outfit that was registered with them was well over 100 miles away.

If you use Hagerty, find your local tow company and get them to register to tow for Hagerty. It's pretty simple, and then if someone needs a tow in your area, it's covered.

OR - Before you call for roadside service, find the number of a couple of local tow companies. Then tell the Hagerty rep that you'd like to use Joe's Towing, or whatever.

But even while I was stuck in the snowbank, they arranged a local cop to come take me to a hotel, and make sure my car was secure. Pretty dern decent, IMHO.

- .- -. ... - .- .- ..-. .-.. -.-.--

Krishnamurti: “It is no measure of health to be well adjusted to a profoundly sick society.”

Sententia est fallacia; credere durum praecipitatum omnia inanis.

Yes No Thank
29desoto Avatar
Frank, that one I don't know. None of my "normal" cars ever need towing!

Chris, yes, they did try to call me a cab. The cab company estimated six to eight hours. (Ever been to Roseberg? It ain't New Yawk!)

Wayne Sanders
Rose Lodge, OR
(TD 4288)

"I don't care to belong to any club that accepts people like me"-joined Willamette Valley Club in 2011

This car is now very nearly completely done. Sure to find something else, but not now.........

Yes No Thank
chris Avatar
Pendleton, OR, USA   USA
Yes I have. Family was there. Grampa used to have one farm or another all around there, like Winston. Looked like a big city to me. Of course, that dynamite truck blowing up in the middle of town back in the 60's greatly reduced the availability of store fronts. Could've made a great pool though.

Member Services:
Used English car parts.
Yes No Thank
29desoto Avatar
Wow. After all these years I finally find out why I was disoriented all through the 60's.

I'd kind of suspected something else.

No wonder the catch phrase was "DY-NO-MITE!"

Wayne Sanders
Rose Lodge, OR
(TD 4288)

Yes No Thank
chris Avatar
Pendleton, OR, USA   USA
You lived in Roseburg?
http://www.cityofroseburg.org/visitors/1959-blast/ Pics and movie toward the bottom. And I was wrong; it was 1959.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2019-03-09 03:46 PM by chris.

Member Services:
Used English car parts.
Yes No Thank
bleteaches6 Avatar
bleteaches6 Silver Member Lee Orphan
Bonney Lake, WA, USA   USA
I used to drive boats to San Jose through Roseburg from Seattle and had no idea! Interesting story.

Yes No Thank
Gary E Avatar
Gary E Silver Member Gary Edwards
Kernersville, NC, USA   USA
I used to have Hagerty roadside service and then discovered AAA. AAA gives you more towing miles and other services that Hagerty does not. You also get discounts at some travel sites and NAPA.

Gary

Hammer: Originally employed as a weapon of war, the hammer nowadays is used as a kind of divining rod to locate expensive car parts not far from the object we are trying to hit.

Yes No Thank
offroad4ever Avatar
offroad4ever Silver Member Chuck W.
Willamette Valley, OR, USA   USA
1979 MG MGB
In reply to # 3905829 by chris You lived in Roseburg?
http://www.cityofroseburg.org/visitors/1959-blast/ Pics and movie toward the bottom. And I was wrong; it was 1959.

Interesting story, thanks for sharing Chris! We have been through downtown a few times but were not aware of this.

Between this one and the whale on the coast, lots of history with explosives in Oregon it seems!

79 LE w/OD, HS 4 SU's,
D9, Schlemmerized Dist.

+1 Yes No Thank
29desoto Avatar
Only on this forum could a discussion about roadside service end up in a history lesson of a forgotten town in central Oregon.

Ain't life grand? And interesting also!

Wayne Sanders
Rose Lodge, OR
(TD 4288)

+1 Yes No Thank
EmgesMG Avatar
EmgesMG Robert Emge
Red Bluff Ca., USA   USA
Thanks Chris, interesting history. Hey Wayne go another direction in the next storm and we can learn more about Oregon.

Yes No Thank
Fairfield, CA, USA   USA
It is doggone wonderful!!

In reply to # 3906253 by 29desoto Only on this forum could a discussion about roadside service end up in a history lesson of a forgotten town in central Oregon.

Ain't life grand? And interesting also!

1973 Pale Primrose Roadster. A nice 10-footer!
SUs, Datsun 5-speed

Yes No Thank
Speedracer Avatar
Speedracer Platinum AdvertiserAdvertiser Hap Waldrop
Greenville, SC, USA   USA
1967 MG MGB Racecar "The Biscuit"
In reply to # 3905702 by rocannon And one the same policy, can’t you also call them for your daily (non-classic) drivers?

Yep, I only needed Haggerty once for the B street car, but I used it about 3 times for the wifey's car , she always got nails in her tires at work. At least it saved me from loading up the floor jack and leaving the shop. they would put on her spare, then she could drive to the shop, where I would repair the tire.

Hap Waldrop
Acme Speed Shop
864-370-3000
hapwaldrop@acmespeedshop.com

Member Services:
MG/ Triumph Performance Street/Race Engines - Cylinder Head Porting - Modified SU HS Carbs - DIY Engine Rebuild Kits With Free Tech Advice - VTO alloy wheels for British Sport Cars, and others
Yes No Thank
Offshorequest Avatar
Offshorequest Mike Kennedy
Palm Harbor, FL, USA   USA
Maybe they assumed that anyone driving a MG in the snow was probably impaired????

Yes No Thank

To add your reply, or post your own questions

Registration is FREE and takes less than a minute!

Having trouble posting or changing forum settings?
Read the Forum Help (FAQ) or contact the webmaster