Visit our Twitter feed for more great content
MGExp

MGB & GT Forum

Google Snoops, Pries, Shoots and gets it all wrong.

Moss Motors
AutoShrine Sponsor
AutoShrine Sponsor
AutoShrine Sponsor
AutoShrine Sponsor

cunhab Avatar
cunhab Bruce Cunha
Placerville, CA, USA   USA
1950 MG TD
1967 MG MGB GT
And they advertize on this site. My MG pages are currently filled with bird cages. I just bought a new one for my parrot. Guess I need to visit Moss again so the ads will be from Moss.

. Hide this ad & support a small business by becoming a Gold Supporting Member
Was this post helpful or interesting?
Yes No Thank
dbandel Avatar
dbandel Gold Member David Bandel
Glenwood, MD, USA   USA
1967 MG MGB GT
1974 MG MGB
"1984" is here. Google Alexa and Microsoft Cortana are the greatest invasions of privacy in history, and they got us to pay for it!

My wife and I disconnected Alexa after too many "coincidences" as described in this thread. It was convenient to be able to voice control the TV and listen to music, but not at the loss of all privacy. Also, I telework and often discuss sensitive issues on the phone which shouldn't be listened to by a private company that will sell information to the highest bidder.

Current:
'67 MGB GT
'74 MGB Roadster
'02 Jaguar XKR
'83 Jaguar XJ6 Vanden Plas
past:
'72 MG Midget 1275
'69 Triumph GT6+
'75 Triumph Spitfire 1500
'76 MG Midget 1500

Yes No Thank
Paul755 Paul H
Fairfax, VA, USA   USA
1974 MG MGB MkIII
1979 MG MGB MkIV "Nemesis"
Its pervasive across all platforms now. If you have an iPhone, every location you visit is recorded in a file that Apple claim is to "help" offer services when you visit that location again. It took me a good hour to figure out how to disable the "feature" and delete the visited location data file.

Yes No Thank
ClassicBiker Avatar
ClassicBiker Steven Meakings
Clinton Township, MI, USA   USA
I've been concerned and wondered about this for some time. I've looked at stuff on ebay without logging into my account on either my work computer, my home computer, or when my mother was alive her computer. When I've gone to ebay on my computer or on my ipad, again without logging in, on the left in recently viewed there is what I looked at last. I decided that as all these devices had been on my WiFi at my house at some time before, ebay had shared the info when it came up on another device that had a history of being on that network. It is very disconcerting to say the least. My wife and I decided that Alexa and the like were out of the question for us after reading about the loss of privacy some had experienced.
Steven

Yes No Thank
V8MGBV8 Avatar
V8MGBV8 Carl Floyd
Kingsport, TN, USA   USA
In reply to # 3908370 by Gerald O Talk about spying,
Any of you have one of those remote control 'drones'? They're very popular now and cheap. They all have cameras, and many have GPS. These send video from the camera down to your phone that you can watch in real time while they are flying.
And they are all made in China...

Well, it turns out that they are also sending the pictures and matching GPS coordinates back to mother China. China is building a detailed map with pictures and pinpoint locations of our country wherever these things fy.
And they've gotten us to provide it to them.

Banned on military installations and from use by military personnel for this reason.

Not really.

https://www.theregister.co.uk/2018/04/25/dji_data_security_audit/

Yes No Thank
V8MGBV8 Avatar
V8MGBV8 Carl Floyd
Kingsport, TN, USA   USA
The issue I have is with all these phone apps that want permissions for everything on your phone even whe it is not needed for that app to function, like camera, microphone, location , contacts. It is just plain wrong. No Facebook app on my phone. I also had to remove my favorit weather app. With the new update, it wanted access to everything on my phone & the fine print said it was going to share it with its partners. Gone.

https://www.makeuseof.com/tag/important-smartphone-app-permissions/

https://www.makeuseof.com/tag/important-smartphone-app-permissions/

Yes No Thank
Paul755 Paul H
Fairfax, VA, USA   USA
1974 MG MGB MkIII
1979 MG MGB MkIV "Nemesis"
Or Victoria's Secret. Better adds than Moss and there is plausible deniability to maintain domestic bliss.

In reply to # 3908388 by cunhab And they advertize on this site. My MG pages are currently filled with bird cages. I just bought a new one for my parrot. Guess I need to visit Moss again so the ads will be from Moss.

Yes No Thank
Gerald O Avatar
Gerald O Gerald O'Docharty
Wake Forest, North Carolina, USA   USA
1978 MG MGB
In reply to # 3908549 by V8MGBV8
In reply to # 3908370 by Gerald O Talk about spying,
Any of you have one of those remote control 'drones'? They're very popular now and cheap. They all have cameras, and many have GPS. These send video from the camera down to your phone that you can watch in real time while they are flying.
And they are all made in China...

Well, it turns out that they are also sending the pictures and matching GPS coordinates back to mother China. China is building a detailed map with pictures and pinpoint locations of our country wherever these things fy.
And they've gotten us to provide it to them.

Banned on military installations and from use by military personnel for this reason.

Not really.

https://www.theregister.co.uk/2018/04/25/dji_data_security_audit/

That article, paid for by the Chinese, just confirms that they have the ability to do it. But don't do it unless you "give them permission". Honest, trust us...

https://www.google.com/search?q=chinese+made+drones+banned+by+us+military&ei=6XKKXLHXK-aqggeVmYWYCw&start=10&sa=N&ved=0ahUKEwjx77r_-IHhAhVmleAKHZVMAbMQ8NMDCIoB&biw=1337&bih=814

This after a previous Chinese cyberwarfare attack on the US through Chinese-made home surveillance cameras. The millions of cameras were turned into 'bots' that caused several of the biggest ever DDOS attacks on our internet systems.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 2019-03-14 10:33 AM by Gerald O.

Yes No Thank
V8MGBV8 Avatar
V8MGBV8 Carl Floyd
Kingsport, TN, USA   USA
In reply to # 3908569 by Gerald O
That article, paid for by the Chinese

Mind sharing how you arrived at that, George? Not saying it is not accurate. Just curious how.

Yes No Thank
Mick from Scotland Avatar
East Lothian, Scotland, UK   GBR
I just read this thread and now adverts for tin foil hats keep appearing............

+2 Yes No Thank
  melbaver thanked Mick from Scotland for this post
GlennMGB Avatar
GlennMGB Silver Member Glenn G
Fort Worth, TX, USA   USA
1965 Triumph TR4A
1967 MG MGB GT "Rose"
Quote: I just read this thread and now adverts for tin foil hats keep appearing............

Are you sure? They could be funnels . . . .

+1 Yes No Thank

To add your reply, or post your own questions

Registration is FREE and takes less than a minute!

Having trouble posting or changing forum settings?
Read the Forum Help (FAQ) or contact the webmaster