AutoShrine Sponsor
AutoShrine Sponsor
AutoShrine Sponsor

pcgold Avatar
pcgold Paul _
SK, Canada   CAN
1974 MG MGB
74B.

I want to put in a coolant overflow /Expansion tank.

I’ve searched and scoured this forum for pics of a Chrome tank. I’ve seen it in the past but can’t find it now.

Who here has done this with a Chrome/ stainless steel tank? Pics?

. Hide this ad & support a small business by becoming a Gold Supporting Member
Was this post helpful or interesting?
Yes No Thank
MGB567 Avatar
MGB567 Gold Member Barrie Braxton
Sunshine Coast, Queensland, Australia   AUS
1966 MG MGB MkI "Money Guzzler"
1979 MG MGB GT V8 Conversion "Darkside"
Just ask evilbay - there's hundreds listed.

Convertible: CKD 11/66 first registered 8/5/67. Owned since 3/77. 90% original sheet metal. 18GB +40 balanced with almost all new internals. Peter Burgess big valve fast road head. Piper 285. Fidanza FW. Basil's followers and pushrods. TR7clutch. TT exhaust. ARP everywhere. 123 ign. Needham 4synchro c/r box.. Stock rebuilt/replaced suspension. Superpro bushes. New brakes all round including all pipes in SS flex. Interior redone. CAMS approved roll bar and side bars. Lots more. Hybrid of o/e and show/fast road car. Not for sale - it's my toy!

GT: UK car built/sold December '78. Stripped back to bare shell with VW Golf flared guards, flush fit front and rear valances with front guards immovable. Front and rear seams removed,Torana XU1 vents, frenched indicators front & Mk1 rear lights. Powered by 'worked' Rover 5 litre V8 (ex TVR Chimaera) with efi. T5 box. FC IFS. CCE rear attached to Salisbury axle with Quaife. All new interior with MrMikes covers on MX5 seats. Retro4 7x15 rims (zero offset) and 205/55 rubber. Colour: Jaguar Storm. Not for sale - it's my sanity!

Yes No Thank
tvrgeek Avatar
tvrgeek Scott S
Hillsborough, North Carolinia, USA   USA
1965 MG MGB
Be clear what you are looking for . There are three solutions often confused:
#1 Overflow bottle. Tank with a hose to the top to just take overflow, but allows air to replace any lost fluid. Useful when the radiator tanks are of sufficient size and higher than the engine.

#2 Recovery bottle ( what I run) Bottle hooked to above the rad cap seal like the overflow bottle, but the hose stays submerged in a resoviour of water, so the system remains full of water only as the engine cools and the water pulls a vacuum to suck fluid back, not air.

#3 Header tank. It is part of the pressurized system so the pressure cap is on the tank; radiator is sealed. It is often placed high above the engine if possible. It is usually plumbed to the low side. Some claim it helps separate air from the water but with the pressures we run, I doubt it. Sometimes they have multiple lines running from several "high points" to keep any trapped air out. I have been struggling to see why this is any better than a recovery tank. I do note most newer cars have moved to the header tank, but I believe it is because the new radiators have smaller tanks rather than any inherent efficiency.
On modern cars, many of the header tanks have a fluid level sensor to turn on a idiot light.

There is a lot of contradictory information and miss-use of the terms on product sales sites, so look carefully.

Check Jegs, Summit, Moroso or any hot-rod suppliers for bling. They like polished aluminum or stainless. I use a $2 water bottle rather than a $250 polished stainless bottle. Works for me.

Cogito ergo sum periculoso

Yes No Thank
pcgold Avatar
pcgold Paul _
SK, Canada   CAN
1974 MG MGB
Thanx TVRGeek.

#2 is what I am looking for.

I've looked on evilbay and elsewhere. Just not sure which one to get.

Yes No Thank
ClayJ Avatar
ClayJ Silver Member Clay Johnston
Mt. Olive, MS, USA   USA
1972 MG MGB
I use a small slender 14oz plastic bottle for a recovery tank zip-tied to the LH radiator support and hanging next to the radiator. Works great.

Late Bs used an "expansion tank", not a gravity fed header tank.

Yes No Thank
mgdriver67 Avatar
mgdriver67 Silver Member Stephen Farrell
Pensacola, FL, USA   USA
1967 MG MGB MkI "Lulu"
2017 Honda Ridgeline 4WD "Mom's Truck"
2019 Subaru Crosstrek XV "Suki"
Those sure look nicer than my opaque white plastic tank. Someday maybe I’ll upgrade. It never had one originally though.

Yes No Thank
tvrgeek Avatar
tvrgeek Scott S
Hillsborough, North Carolinia, USA   USA
1965 MG MGB
I believe the pressure cap was on the expansion tank and it was mounted high on the fender. Call it expansion or call it header, it is the same. They only had one tube to it. MG was a little more clever than Triumph as the tube was big enough for water to actually flow through it. The Stag is much smaller. I do not buy the necessity for it to be gravity fed with just a single high point connection and fed to the bottom of the tank. That should only matter when filling initially as long as it is fed and drawn from the bottom of the tank. Only fluid will flow. Cooling water pulls a vacuum sufficient to pull it a foot. Tanks with multiple fittings in the pressurized loop for through flow are a different matter. That case may fall under the "it depends".

You can also run a header tank and a catch bottle. This lets the header tank find it's own natural fill level without dumping anti-freeze on the ground. If yor header tank has th ecap right at thre top ( MG does not) you can run one with a recovery bottle so the header tank is just additional volume replacing the too small rad tanks and remains completely full.

The goal is to keep the radiator full. Take your pick. Call it what you wish. If you wanted to get fancy, a 1/8 inch tube from the highest point of the heater hose might purge that system into an expansion tank. I have not head we have any head steam traps like a small block Ford or the Stag 3.0

Cogito ergo sum periculoso

Yes No Thank
Gerry Avatar
Gerry Gold Member Gerry Masterman
Prairieville, LA, USA   USA
I used a proper rad cap and a windshield washer bottle and bracket. Looked good and worked just fine. No ugly modern square bottle to stick out like a sore thumb

Yes No Thank
TonyV Avatar
TonyV Tony V
Rutherford, NJ, USA   USA
1974 MG MGB
mvheim Avatar
mvheim Silver Member Mark Heim
CA, USA   USA
1966 MG MGB "Uroboros"
I have never understood why anyone would want a metal expansion tank. You can't see the level of the coolant, so it's exactly the same as the radiator top tank -- you have to pull the cap to check (and since it is lower in the car and a deeper container, and there is no light in there, good luck).

The whole convenience factor is having a visible coolant level so you know when to top up (anticipate and prevent disaster), and having a cap you can remove with the engine warm to refill.

Max Heim
'66 MGB California Melee 2006 & 2014 (passed along to another enthusiast)
'66 MGB (just launched)

+1 Yes No Thank
  PeterC thanked mvheim for this post
Diver648 Gold Member Warren Siringer
Tucson, AZ, USA   USA
1967 MG MGB
1967 MG MGB GT
1969 MG MGB MkII
1971 MG MGB GT    & more
Good point Mark but I have had experience with the plastic ones cracking with age and the desert heat so I am going to use the late brass tank on mine. It probably could be chromed if one desired. From what I remember, it could be used as an expansion tank or overflow container depending on where the pressure cap is located? It has been covered recently on which goes where.

Yes No Thank
bleteaches6 Avatar
bleteaches6 Silver Member Lee Orphan
Bonney Lake, WA, USA   USA
As others have said use Goggle to your advantage. Type in what you want and select images to see the varieties. Besides Ebay, you have Jegs, Summit, Speedway, etc.

I ended up using a spike expansion tank on my midget because of size

https://www.speedwaymotors.com/Spike-Chassis-005-2062-Aluminum-Expansion-Tank,6668.html

Attachments:
95015710_L_10b77662-1fc0-4c34-83ba-514f40ae8176.jpg    14.9 KB
95015710_L_10b77662-1fc0-4c34-83ba-514f40ae8176.jpg

Yes No Thank
jseabolt Avatar
jseabolt James Seabolt
Mount Carmel, TN, USA   USA
1977 MG MGB
In reply to # 3907254 by pcgold 74B.

I want to put in a coolant overflow /Expansion tank.

I’ve searched and scoured this forum for pics of a Chrome tank. I’ve seen it in the past but can’t find it now.

Who here has done this with a Chrome/ stainless steel tank? Pics?

I just got through installing an aluminum tank and radiator in my Fiat Spider Monday. Sorry not MGB related but might give you an idea. I got it for $40 off eBay.

This tank should work on an MGB as long as it doesn't use a radiator cap on the tank like my 77 does.

http://s222.photobucket.com/user/turbofiat/library/?sort=2&page=0

1977 MGB
1980 Fiat 124 Spider (turbo)
1987 Yugo (1500 turbo)
1981 Trabant 601
1987 Citroen 2CV
1968 Ford Fairlane 500

Attachments:
IMG_20190311_164455405-1612x1209.jpg    46.8 KB
IMG_20190311_164455405-1612x1209.jpg

IMG_20190311_164432746_HDR-1612x1209.jpg    62.1 KB
Sign In or Register to view this photo
Yes No Thank
ClayJ Avatar
ClayJ Silver Member Clay Johnston
Mt. Olive, MS, USA   USA
1972 MG MGB
The metal expansion tank on the late Bs is a pressure vessel, it sees the same pressure as the cooling system.

A overflow tank is not pressurized, it just catches the coolant that is ejected from the cooling system as the coolant expands due to heat. With the right setup the overflow tank can also draw coolant back into the cooling system as the system cools. My 14oz overflow tank catches and returns about 10ozs of coolant from cold to hot.

Yes No Thank

To add your reply, or post your own questions

Registration is FREE and takes less than a minute!

Having trouble posting or changing forum settings?
Read the Forum Help (FAQ) or contact the webmaster