AutoShrine Sponsor
AutoShrine Sponsor
AutoShrine Sponsor
AutoShrine Sponsor

UMG0251 Avatar
UMG0251 Platinum Member John H Twist
Grand Rapids, MI, USA   USA
1962 MG MGA MkII De-Luxe "The A"
Reminiscing about the early days of the late University Motors. Left to Right: John Twist, Ron Beechem, Caroline Robinson, Marvin Van Houten, Craig Wood, Sonny Bloem, Jimmy Vasquez, and Steve Hoult. This must be about 1977 in front of our first full restoration at 614 Eastern Avenue SE in Grand Rapids.

Member Services:
John Twist's famous MG Parts & Service business. We offer bench, line, and restoration services, as well as MG education via DVDs and technical seminars, on-site and off-site.

Attachments:
Group 17.jpg    60.2 KB
Group 17.jpg

chris Avatar
chris Platinum Member Chris Roop
Pendleton, OR, USA   USA
That would have been a hoot! Thanks for all that you have done.

Member Services:
Used English car parts.
Fogliner Avatar
Fogliner Mark Vanherd
Port Clements, BC, Canada   CAN
1974 MG MGB
Looks like a great group of folks.

Thanks for all your effort over the years John!

Enjoy your new life after University Motors you deserve it.

Kind Regards
Mark

. Hide banner ads & support this website by becoming a > Gold Supporting Member <
DrewM Avatar
DrewM Silver Member Drew Maddock
74 MGB roadster, Southern California, USA   USA
There's a lot of hair in that picture, John. cool smiley

Wish I'd owned either of my MGB's or my old TR6 somewhere near Michigan. If I had, I would have driven over for some servicing. Knowledgable British car servicing isn't easy to find anymore. Maybe it's time you consider moving to Southern California and opening up a brand new shop for all the surviving Brit cars that keep on going out here where there's no salt on the roads and the sun always shines? Except lately with all the rain, I mean.

Thanks for your great videos, by the way. They're one of my first resources when I'm trying to remember how to do something or learn for the first time. thumbs up

Drew Maddock, So. Calif. USofA

Nicecar Avatar
Nicecar Gary (ex "Harv") G
Victoria, BC, Canada   CAN
1980 MG MGB "Red On Red On Red"
Good to hear from you John.

You were kind enough to speak to me on phone 2x over a few years. I sent you my Empress Phantogram as gift.

Then a few years ago I tried to entice you to Victoria BC with a Tech session - even got local MG Guru to agree to host - but alas.

Jeez, your pic looks like I do now, hair and beard the same, my Greek Fisherman's cap is gray, but I do own a red MG.

In tribute, I added this sticker to my car a few years ago. I can't remember if you produced it or another MGE member.

With the Greatest Respect, Best wishes,
Gary Greenspoon
--------
PS: Nobody needs to mention boot not closed = battery drain. Battery disconnected for winter.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 2019-02-11 02:05 AM by Nicecar.

. Hide banner ads & support this website by becoming a > Gold Supporting Member <

Attachments:
University Motors Tribute.JPG    28.6 KB
University Motors Tribute.JPG

Bearsails Avatar
Bearsails Silver Member Michael Lippmann
Kingsville, Kingsville, Ontario, Canada   CAN
1968 MG MGC GT "Blewe"
1969 MG MGC GT "Uh Oh" (Rusty Red)"
1972 MG MGB "Betty"
1973 MG MGB GT "Trouble"    & more
Great picture John...Thanks for all the good you have done!

About the time that picture was taken I was in BC and had a Toyota Landcruiser and a 74 Spitfire!! smiling smiley

Mike

tahoe36c Avatar
tahoe36c Paul Hruza
Panama City, FL, USA   USA
1969 MG MGC GT "Little Red Rocket..."
1972 MG MGB GT "Tiny Dancer"
2002 Harley-Davidson Dyna
Nice to hear from you John!!!

I think I can honestly speak for 99.9% of the membership on this forum by saying thank you for your many contributions to the world of MBGs.... smileys with beer

Don't be a stranger. Come see us more often!

MGMGMG

tenntony Avatar
tenntony Silver Member Tony Shoviak
Waterville, OH, USA   USA
1952 MG TD
1958 MG MGA 1500 "Wife's Car"
1966 MG 1100
1966 MG MGB    & more
John,
I sure do miss the February/March Tech seminars. I learned a great amount of MG information from you over the years.
Thanks for all you do for the MG community, your friend Tony smileys with beer

ClayJ Avatar
ClayJ Silver Member Clay Johnston
Mt. Olive, MS, USA   USA
1972 MG MGB
Keep the post coming as time allows!

jseal Avatar
jseal Silver Member Jonathan Seal
Zurich, Schweiz, Switzerland   CHE
1964 MG MGB
1969 MG MGB GT
You used to look a lot like Donald 'Duck' Dunn.

The equivalent of restoring a TD in '77 would be restoring a car from 1994 today. Hard to imagine anybody doing that now.

Attachments:
images.jpeg    6.7 KB
images.jpeg

mgbtf Avatar
mgbtf Silver Member Dave Kalp
Fort Wayne, IN, USA   USA
1969 MG MGC GT
1980 MG MGB
Thanks for the photo and memories. I loved the old shop on Eastern Ave. I attended my first February Tech Session at Eastern Ave. I really miss those winter get-away sessions.

I hope you are enjoying your semi retirement.

RIRaven Avatar
RIRaven Silver Member Dave Wilson
Little Compton, RI, USA   USA
1971 MG MGB GT
1973 MG MGB
So, that was the original Starvin' Marvin!

Dave

Donthuis Avatar
Donthuis Don van Riet
Rijswijk, ZH, Netherlands   NLD
I had longer hair too in 1977, sign of the times. grinning smiley Little did I know I would buy a 2nd hand MGB the year after. Nor that my spannering practice on motorbikes would be extended to Brtish cars. The first years all maintenance was done by a garage; nowadays they are scarce on the ground. So once more many thanks for ýour numereous YouTube videos still helping me out to this very day. thumbs up

My period picture shows packing for France summer 1984 (still camping). Hotels and rented houses followed, but driving the MG top down in 2019 across the French Provence will still feel the same smiling bouncing smiley

In reply to # 3889495 by UMG0251 Reminiscing about the early days of the late University Motors. Left to Right: John Twist, Ron Beechem, Caroline Robinson, Marvin Van Houten, Craig Wood, Sonny Bloem, Jimmy Vasquez, and Steve Hoult. This must be about 1977 in front of our first full restoration at 614 Eastern Avenue SE in Grand Rapids.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2019-02-11 10:38 AM by Donthuis.

Attachments:
Vakantie 1984.jpg    60.2 KB
Vakantie 1984.jpg

mgblestyle Avatar
mgblestyle Philip Shave
Olympia, WA, USA   USA
Thank you John, for posting and for all the informative videos that we can still access. Phil

tampaguy Avatar
tampaguy Jack Shea
Elgin, OR, USA   USA
John you’re the man !

To add your reply, or post your own questions

Registration is FREE and takes less than a minute!

Having trouble posting or changing forum settings?
Read the Forum Help (FAQ) or contact the webmaster