Moss Motors
AutoShrine Sponsor
AutoShrine Sponsor
AutoShrine Sponsor
AutoShrine Sponsor

pinkyponk Avatar
pinkyponk Gold Member Adrian Page
Berwick, NS, Canada   CAN
New ones are already on their way. I'm still staking them with the centre punch.

There's really not much way to test whether they have an interference fit or not. Do you think Locktite would wick in if there was only a sliding fit?

Adrian

Home built Eaton M62 Supercharger with 7.6psi boost, 8:1 compression, custom "supercharger" cam from Schneider Cams, Mikuni HSR48 Carburetor, Chevy Cavalier 1.6 rocker arms, Maxspeeding rods with Teflon wrist pin buttons, custom aluminum cold air intake, CB Performance computerized ignition, Fidanza 9 pound flywheel, 1.44 exhaust valves in 48cc chamber head, matched manifolds, 2 1/4" exhaust system.

. Hide this ad & support a small business by becoming a Gold Supporting Member
Was this post helpful or interesting?
Yes No Thank
ozieagle Avatar
ozieagle Gold Member Herb Adler
Geelong Victoria, Australia   AUS
1958 Wolseley 1500 "Wooly"
1966 MG MGB "Bl**dy B"
There is a Loctite available for after assy use. Loctite and staking, belts and braces.You don't want to risk that happening on the freeway.

Herb

Questions about prostate cancer? Click here to join the discussion

+1 Yes No Thank
  pinkyponk thanked ozieagle for this post
pinkyponk Avatar
Thanks Herb! Green Locktite is the stuff that wicks into things. I'll pick up a tube next time I'm at Canadian Tire.

Adrian

Home built Eaton M62 Supercharger with 7.6psi boost, 8:1 compression, custom "supercharger" cam from Schneider Cams, Mikuni HSR48 Carburetor, Chevy Cavalier 1.6 rocker arms, Maxspeeding rods with Teflon wrist pin buttons, custom aluminum cold air intake, CB Performance computerized ignition, Fidanza 9 pound flywheel, 1.44 exhaust valves in 48cc chamber head, matched manifolds, 2 1/4" exhaust system.

Yes No Thank
B-racer Avatar
B-racer Jeff Schlemmer
Shakopee, MN, USA   USA
1950 Willys Jeep Pickup "Ratrod"
1971 MG MGB
2014 Dodge Charger
Green Loctite is so thin it'll work its way into the needle bearings and you'll find the whole works locked up tight. It is NOT designed for the level of durability you'll need. It would however work if you installed the bronze bushings - that's what its designed for. You'd have a significantly larger surface area to lock in place, and pores for the Loctite to set up in (across the entire bushing surface).

Disassembly of one rocker will tell you how much press fit there is. Its no mystery - you can measure it.

jeff@advanceddistributors.com

Yes No Thank
pinkyponk Avatar
In reply to # 3909064 by B-racer Green Loctite is so thin it'll work its way into the needle bearings and you'll find the whole works locked up tight. It is NOT designed for the level of durability you'll need. It would however work if you installed the bronze bushings - that's what its designed for. You'd have a significantly larger surface area to lock in place, and pores for the Loctite to set up in (across the entire bushing surface).

Disassembly of one rocker will tell you how much press fit there is. Its no mystery - you can measure it.

I wasn't planning on dipping them in green Locktite. Surface area would be pretty much the same IMO.

Disassembly was not considered in the design of these rocker arms. It would be near impossible to do without destroying the bearings... or the arms. I would have to disassemble and measure all of the rockers to be sure they were all ok. I "checked" the other 6 bearings and they seem to be tight. I will be centre punching the pivots just the same, to be sure this won't happen again.

I doubt anyone even makes a bronze bushing kit for these aftermarket rocker arms.

Adrian

Yes No Thank
fast-MG.com Avatar
fast-MG.com Gold Member Dave Headley
Cortez, 4 corners, Colorado, USA   USA
Adrian, as Jeff alludes to, be careful with the Loctite as a little dab 'll do ya! Allow some cure time and check needle bearings are free.

Member Services:
Dave Headley, dba FAB-TEK offers full service race car parts and preparation for MGB & MGA race cars, SCCA and Vintage. Dave is a mechanical engineer and has raced MGBs since 1963.
+1 Yes No Thank
  pinkyponk thanked fast-MG.com for this post
pinkyponk Avatar
In reply to # 3909119 by fast-MG.com Adrian, as Jeff alludes to, be careful with the Loctite as a little dab 'll do ya! Allow some cure time and check needle bearings are free.

So... rather than dunking the rocker up to my wrist in a pail of Locktite I should use a toothpick or some such to apply a small amount, only where needed? devil smiley Seems awful fussy but I'll give it a shot. grinning smiley

Adrian

Yes No Thank
fast-MG.com Avatar
fast-MG.com Gold Member Dave Headley
Cortez, 4 corners, Colorado, USA   USA
One drop on each side where you have the punch marks should be enough. It either wicks in or it doesn't.

Member Services:
Dave Headley, dba FAB-TEK offers full service race car parts and preparation for MGB & MGA race cars, SCCA and Vintage. Dave is a mechanical engineer and has raced MGBs since 1963.
+1 Yes No Thank

To add your reply, or post your own questions

Registration is FREE and takes less than a minute!

Having trouble posting or changing forum settings?
Read the Forum Help (FAQ) or contact the webmaster