Moss Motors
AutoShrine Sponsor
AutoShrine Sponsor
AutoShrine Sponsor
AutoShrine Sponsor

pinkyponk Avatar
pinkyponk Gold Member Adrian Page
Berwick, NS, Canada   CAN
In reply to # 3861008 by GeorgeOhr That does look nice. Has anyone ever tried to plate the back off and draw through the top like a “regular” roots blower? It would take some machining but it would solve 90 degrees of turn around problems.

Thanks George. These Eaton superchargers are the twisted rotor type so they need the sides of the housing intact. They suck air in the back and squeeze it towards the front. I would have twin SU's if I could attach them to the side of the housing.

I do have a little Aisin AMR 500 supercharger that is the roots type and it sucks in the side. I plan to put it on my Bugeye.

Adrian

Home built Eaton M62 Supercharger with 7.6psi boost, 8:1 compression, custom "supercharger" cam from Schneider Cams, Mikuni HSR48 Carburetor, Chevy Cavalier 1.6 rocker arms, Maxspeeding rods with Teflon wrist pin buttons, custom aluminum cold air intake, CB Performance computerized ignition, Fidanza 9 pound flywheel, 1.44 exhaust valves in 48cc chamber head, matched manifolds, 2 1/4" exhaust system.

. Hide this ad & support a small business by becoming a Gold Supporting Member
Was this post helpful or interesting?
Yes No Thank
Denis Avatar
Denis Denis Hill
Bearii, Nth Victoria, Australia   AUS
The rear intake blower is a totally different internal design to the top mounted intake and a lot more efficient.

Denis

68 B roadster, Daffodil yellow, supercharger, Burgess SC head, SC cam, Mikuni HSR 48 carburetor and engine built for supercharging.

73 BGT V8 conversion starting with a bare shell. Built the engine "3.9L Rover" early in 2016 with high comp pistons and a few other nice bits, plus a T5 ford trans. Started on the body late 2016 and complete late 2017, Did all the work myself, mechanical, body. paint etc.
Finished and going well, great to drive and quick. Now has a nice 3.23 LSD.

Yes No Thank
gray Avatar
gray Graham Moore
CAMBRIDGE, CAMBRIDGE, UK   GBR
stunning stuff (cobra). i thought they would be more expensive than $99k

G

Yes No Thank
pinkyponk Avatar
In reply to # 3861210 by gray stunning stuff (cobra). i thought they would be more expensive than $99k

G

Me too. Cheaper than the Frontline MGB!

Adrian

Home built Eaton M62 Supercharger with 7.6psi boost, 8:1 compression, custom "supercharger" cam from Schneider Cams, Mikuni HSR48 Carburetor, Chevy Cavalier 1.6 rocker arms, Maxspeeding rods with Teflon wrist pin buttons, custom aluminum cold air intake, CB Performance computerized ignition, Fidanza 9 pound flywheel, 1.44 exhaust valves in 48cc chamber head, matched manifolds, 2 1/4" exhaust system.

Yes No Thank
GeorgeOhr Nonya Business
Yes, confused, USA   USA
In reply to # 3861207 by Denis The rear intake blower is a totally different internal design to the top mounted intake and a lot more efficient.

Denis

Well, the old roots 671s were twisted rotors too so I don’t see why it couldn’t be done.

Yes No Thank
GeorgeOhr Nonya Business
Yes, confused, USA   USA
Looking further; fabbing a new opening without warping the housing would be problematic but from a principle standpoint I don’t see an problem.

Yes No Thank
pinkyponk Avatar
George, I'm not sure why it might be an issue but (as far as I know) Eaton don't make a side entry into their own blowers. Even on this "side entry" 112 Eaton the air goes into the back of the rotors. I expect it would be no problem to cut a hole and weld in a flange of some sort. The issue is probably lowered efficiency. You could always give it a try.

Adrian

Attachments:
lightingmp1122.jpg    36.5 KB
lightingmp1122.jpg

Yes No Thank
GeorgeOhr Nonya Business
Yes, confused, USA   USA
Looking at the pic it seems like they did that to dump exesssive boost back into the suction side. Notice the passage back there and what would appear to be some type of “waste gate” actuator.

Looks to be impossible to fab a flange without distorting the housing though so it’s a moot point.

Might be easier to figure out a way to turn it around and drive it from what was the rear rather than to come out the side.

I’m thinking about a possible supercharger build if I keep mine but that would be down the road. I like the one with the electric clutch for a possible blow through. .... or maybe I’ve seen Mad Max one too many times... smiling smiley

Yes No Thank
pinkyponk Avatar
The “waste gate” actuator is actually the vacuum operated bypass valve actuator. It diverts air from passing through the rotors during high vacuum situations like cruising or idling. It's apparently to improve fuel mileage. I just sawed mine off during this thread about fitting a Mikuni HSR48 carburetor. I needed the room and I didn't have the by pass connected anyway.

To get air from the front of the radiator to the back of the supercharger can be done by going the other way around the back of the engine, if you don't care for my route. Also note that I have a long snout drive on mine. A shorter snout would move the SC housing closer to the front, increasing the clearance at the back, so a simple elbow would make the turn. I like the long snout as it places the SC discharge right between the two engine intake ports.

Adrian

Yes No Thank
pinkyponk Avatar
I needed to get my new CAI tube connected to the air filter in front of the radiator bulkhead. To do this I needed an adapter that went from 2 1/2" to 3 1/2" and about 6" long. I wanted it to be able to move back and forth a bit through the bulkhead so it wouldn't transfer the force from the engine moving under braking and acceleration to the carburetor. I decided on a fabricated aluminum adapter.

First step was to cut a hole in a piece of hardwood to form a nice radius to go from 2.5" to 3.5". I cut the hole with a hole saw and rounded it over with a 1/2" bit in my router. A piece of .060 aluminum sheet with a 1.5" hole was clamped in place and hammered down into the hole with my deadblow hammer. (picture 1) Then I formed a 2.5" tube by tapping a piece of sheet over a section of old exhaust tubing. (Picture 2) Another larger tube was formed the same way for the other end. The parts fit pretty well.(picture 3)

Welding was difficult.. I need a lot more practice. I can't seem to get a fusion weld going like you can with steel welding... I either get a big bead like these or a hole. As a result I had a lot of weld to file off. (picture 4) But it came out very nice in the end. (picture 5) Amazing what you can do with a file and sandpaper.

Adrian

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 2018-12-24 01:23 PM by pinkyponk.

Attachments:
CAI front adapter 001.JPG    38.4 KB
CAI front adapter 001.JPG

CAI front adapter 005.JPG    39.3 KB
Sign In or Register to view this photo
CAI front adapter 007.JPG    33.8 KB
CAI front adapter 009.JPG    29.9 KB
CAI adapter polished 002.JPG    38.3 KB
Yes No Thank
pinkyponk Avatar
The cold air intake project is now complete. With the gear clamps all cinched up the CAI doesn't contact the supercharger housing at all. The short, straight section at the front allows a bit of engine movement, fore and aft through the bulkhead, and the silicone connectors allow for a bit of engine shake. The 3rd picture shows how tightly everything hugs the SC housing.

I also got the throttle cables hooked up. (last picture) The second cable is to pull the throttle closed. I attached a little bracket to the rearmost wing bolt to hook the return spring to. The little bracket that was welded to the master cylinder cover 40 odd years ago finally has a use as the cable mounting point.

After a few days off for Christmas I'll get the supercharger rebuilt and fitted up. Shouldn't be too much more work before I can fire it up.

Adrian

Attachments:
CAI done 001.JPG    51.1 KB
CAI done 001.JPG

CAI done 002.JPG    53.9 KB
CAI done 005.JPG    44.7 KB
CAI done 003.JPG    49.1 KB
Yes No Thank
Denis Avatar
Denis Denis Hill
Bearii, Nth Victoria, Australia   AUS
Adrian thats fabulous. Denis

68 B roadster, Daffodil yellow, supercharger, Burgess SC head, SC cam, Mikuni HSR 48 carburetor and engine built for supercharging.

73 BGT V8 conversion starting with a bare shell. Built the engine "3.9L Rover" early in 2016 with high comp pistons and a few other nice bits, plus a T5 ford trans. Started on the body late 2016 and complete late 2017, Did all the work myself, mechanical, body. paint etc.
Finished and going well, great to drive and quick. Now has a nice 3.23 LSD.

Yes No Thank
Ken Plumstead Avatar
Smithers, BC, Canada   CAN
1965 MG MGB
1968 MG MGC GT
That's amazing!!!

Just wait until the boys at BATANS see that.

Ken

MG: Transforming gasoline into Fun!!!

Yes No Thank
gray Avatar
gray Graham Moore
CAMBRIDGE, CAMBRIDGE, UK   GBR
looks very cool.
G

Yes No Thank
GMB3 Avatar
GMB3 George Badger
Soquel, CA, USA   USA
1965 Jaguar E-Type Coupe "1QUICK E"
1968 MG MGB "1QUICK B"
Just awesome Adrian.

---
GEO

Yes No Thank

To add your reply, or post your own questions

Registration is FREE and takes less than a minute!

Having trouble posting or changing forum settings?
Read the Forum Help (FAQ) or contact the webmaster