The all-new Front Page News Feed is now live   Read the announcement
MGExp

MGB & GT Forum

Cyl block damage repairable after blown head gasket ?

Moss Motors
AutoShrine Sponsor
AutoShrine Sponsor
AutoShrine Sponsor
AutoShrine Sponsor

pinkyponk Avatar
pinkyponk Gold Member Adrian Page
Berwick, NS, Canada   CAN
Why can't it be welded? It's already been glowing hot a few times by the look of it.

Adrian

Home built Eaton M62 Supercharger with 7.6psi boost, 8:1 compression, custom "supercharger" cam from Schneider Cams, Mikuni HSR48 Carburetor, Chevy Cavalier 1.6 rocker arms, Maxspeeding rods with Teflon wrist pin buttons, custom aluminum cold air intake, CB Performance computerized ignition, Fidanza 9 pound flywheel, 1.44 exhaust valves in 48cc chamber head, matched manifolds, 2 1/4" exhaust system.

. Hide this ad & support a small business by becoming a Gold Supporting Member
Was this post helpful or interesting?
Yes No Thank
ohlord Avatar
ohlord Gold Member Rob C
North of Seattle, N.W., USA   USA
1957 Land Rover Series I "EYEYIYI"
1971 MG MGB
1971 MG MGB "Bedouin 2"
Toss the fracked block, fools errand to repair ( unless it was an ultra rare Buggati type 57 etc.)
Heating the block red hot and welding Cast doesn't guarantee sucess and costs an arm

He needs to bite the bullet and start fresh.

In reply to # 3908863 by pinkyponk Why can't it be welded? It's already been glowing hot a few times by the look of it.

Adrian

"I'm a long way gone down this wild road I'm on
It's gonna take me where I'm bound
It's a long way around"

"These are the days that must happen to you"

RD2 Radar/ Electronic Warfare Technician
Vietnam 1969-1972

Yes No Thank
dickmoritz Avatar
dickmoritz Platinum Member Dick Moritz
Philly 'burbs, PA, USA   USA
It appears that your engine may have the "big bore" kit using Lotus pistons. If that is indeed the case, I believe that conversion involves milling a fair amount off the top of the engine block. If such is the case with your engine, I really think you need to start your calculations from scratch, to include piston dish volume, compression height, combustion chamber volume and more before you start milling more off the engine block...

Dick

Errabundi Saepe, Semper Certi
(Often wrong, but always certain)

Yes No Thank
oleanderjoe Avatar
oleanderjoe Gold Member Joseph Baba
Fresno, CA, USA   USA
BRAZING: Might work. I have brazed up rear main bearing caps on Midget 1500 and Spitfire blocks where the thrust washers fell out and the crankshaft wore down the thrust washer lip. I had to Pre-Heat the bearing cap in a toaster oven @ 500 degrees for 45 minutes to get it hot enough to start the brazing. It takes a BUNCH of heat. Once done it can be filed and sanded down. It is worth a shot if you have or have access to the equipment. Have Fun.

In reply to # 3726894 by Nickh6511 Hi, my first post!

After some bad running and overheating on the road back from buying the car (!), I found the distributor had come loose and turned putting the timing out.
Set it back and tightened it up, and all was fine for 500 miles until started running rough and overheating again.
Tested compression to find 50 50 120 120. Not so good.
Took head off to find the gasket blown between 1&2 and 3&4. Yippee, it's only that! But no....
Looked at block to see a damage between 1&2, like a flame path.
The block is 2000cc, looks like linered.

Does anyone know of a way to repair without machining (means without taking the engine out)?
Or is even machining possible in this state?
Or what other options please?

IN ALL SUBJECTS.: For those who believe, no proof is needed. For those who don’t believe, no proof is possible.

"Strive for perfection in everything. Take the best that exists and make it better. If it doesn't exist, create it. Accept nothing nearly right or good enough"
Sir Henry Royce
co-founder of Rolls Royce .

"BENJAMIN FRANKLIN" >>(Expanded) The bitterness of poor quality (or Crappy Workmenship) remains LONG AFTER the Sweet Taste of Low Price is forgotten.

Member Services:
+1 Yes No Thank
pinkyponk Avatar
pinkyponk Gold Member Adrian Page
Berwick, NS, Canada   CAN
In reply to # 3908867 by ohlord Toss the fracked block, fools errand to repair ( unless it was an ultra rare Buggati type 57 etc.)
Heating the block red hot and welding Cast doesn't guarantee sucess and costs an arm

He needs to bite the bullet and start fresh.

In reply to # 3908863 by pinkyponk Why can't it be welded? It's already been glowing hot a few times by the look of it.

Adrian

A nickel rod in a stick welder and a barbecue? Not that big a deal if it doesn't work out.

Adrian

Home built Eaton M62 Supercharger with 7.6psi boost, 8:1 compression, custom "supercharger" cam from Schneider Cams, Mikuni HSR48 Carburetor, Chevy Cavalier 1.6 rocker arms, Maxspeeding rods with Teflon wrist pin buttons, custom aluminum cold air intake, CB Performance computerized ignition, Fidanza 9 pound flywheel, 1.44 exhaust valves in 48cc chamber head, matched manifolds, 2 1/4" exhaust system.

Yes No Thank
ohlord Avatar
ohlord Gold Member Rob C
North of Seattle, N.W., USA   USA
1957 Land Rover Series I "EYEYIYI"
1971 MG MGB
1971 MG MGB "Bedouin 2"
Not if he's not a welder, doesnt know how to stitch a weld, has a super hot extra large BBQ and wants to waste his time.
He needs to contact Ernie...

"I'm a long way gone down this wild road I'm on
It's gonna take me where I'm bound
It's a long way around"

"These are the days that must happen to you"

RD2 Radar/ Electronic Warfare Technician
Vietnam 1969-1972

Yes No Thank
Lonwuff Gerald Beach
NAMPA, ID, USA   USA
Personally I feel you need a new block. Got any vacation time saved? Quick fix=long headache. Look closely at your head too, with that heat it could also be cracked. Rebuilt engine alone is $2000 for one off the rack. If you can do it yourself it's cheaper depending on parts you can save. If you go the route of build yourself make sure you take pictures before the pull especially where the wiring goes then label.

Yes No Thank

To add your reply, or post your own questions

Registration is FREE and takes less than a minute!

Having trouble posting or changing forum settings?
Read the Forum Help (FAQ) or contact the webmaster