Visit our Twitter feed for more great content
MGExp

MGB & GT Forum

Commonly overtightened nuts. (Under the hood, not in the driver's seat)

Moss Motors
AutoShrine Sponsor
AutoShrine Sponsor
AutoShrine Sponsor
AutoShrine Sponsor

Paul Austin Avatar
Durham, USA   USA
1967 MG MGB
1967 B

Question from a new guy: are there nuts that are frequently over-tightened by inexperienced B owners?

The reason I ask, in an earlier thread, a member suggested that while I was setting the timing with a timing light, that I not over-tighten the distributor clamp. He said that the distributors rarely drift out of adjustment, and that it is common for new folks to over-tighten them, thereby fubaring them.

Is the same true with the nut on the valve adjustment screw?

Any other areas where it is easy to over-tighten a nut, or where experienced mechanics have found a nut that a previous owner, had put way too much tightening on it? I'm avoided the term "torque," because if there's a torque value in the manual, I try to use it, but I'm still learning the feel of good-and-tight, or "snug," and wonder if there are places that the more experienced members have seen things that were way too tight.

Thanks.

Happy Motoring!!!

Paul A.

. Hide banner ads & support this website by becoming a > Gold Supporting Member <
rcedward Avatar
rcedward Rob Edwards
Raleigh, NC, USA   USA
1951 MG TD MkII "TDC6000"
1969 MG MGB "182608"
1969 MG MGC GT "8651"
1969 MG MGC GT "8806"    & more
Valve cover hold downs should be tightened to only 4 lb-ft.

Edited to add: That's the specified torque assuming a straight, undistorted valve cover.

--
Rob Edwards
Raleigh, NC
http://www.mgcarz.com

If you're in NC, check out the North Carolina MG Car Club!
http://ncmgcc.org

"...good secondhand tools are much better than inferior new ones."

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2019-02-10 12:21 PM by rcedward.

Gremlin Steve G
Antioch, IL, USA   USA
side covers

. Hide banner ads & support this website by becoming a > Gold Supporting Member <
Rod H. Avatar
Amity, OR, USA   USA
1964 MG MGB
1968 MG MGB GT
The valve adjuster nuts need to be tight enough but not too tight. It's a sweet spot hard to describe.

The valve cover bolts don't need to be very tight. I have knurled alloy knobs on one of my MGBs which are sufficient, and should give you an idea how little force is required.

Don't over tighten the plastic dashpot caps on twin SUs.

One of the fasteners on early rectangular motor mounts has a pozi-drive head. I snapped one once, and believe they might be softer grade than the other bolts the same size. So take care with those. It's also possible this particular fastener was previously stretched because I never had a problem with them before or since.

I can't understand why people are frightened of new ideas. I'm frightened of the old ones. John Cage

'63 MGB
'68 MGBGT
'80 VW Vanagon Kombi
'09 Mazda 3 with 5 speed manual

dickmoritz Avatar
dickmoritz Platinum Member Dick Moritz
Philly 'burbs, PA, USA   USA
are there nuts that are frequently over-tightened by inexperienced B owners?

All of them... winking smiley

Dick

In reply to # 3889114 by Paul Austin 1967 B

Question from a new guy: are there nuts that are frequently over-tightened by inexperienced B owners?

The reason I ask, in an earlier thread, a member suggested that while I was setting the timing with a timing light, that I not over-tighten the distributor clamp. He said that the distributors rarely drift out of adjustment, and that it is common for new folks to over-tighten them, thereby fubaring them.

Any other areas where it is easy to over-tighten a nut, or where experienced mechanics have found a nut that a previous owner, had put way too much tightening on it? I'm avoided the term "torque," because if there's a torque value in the manual, I try to use it, but I'm still learning the feel of good-and-tight, or "snug," and wonder if there are places that the more experienced members have seen things that were way too tight.

Thanks.

Errabundi Saepe, Semper Certi
(Often wrong, but always certain)

oleanderjoe Avatar
oleanderjoe Gold Member Joseph Baba
Fresno, CA, USA   USA
FOR Sure.it is a common problem. I have seen "Split Lock Washers" literally IMBEDDED in the Aluminum on transmissions housings. No need for that. If you are curious about what "Mechanic's Tight" is, look up some Torque specs. Use some new nuts and bolts and Torque to spec. then tighten by hand and check it with the torque wrench. It is just a matter of practice. thumbs up

Thanks.

IN ALL SUBJECTS.: For those who believe, no proof is needed. For those who don’t believe, no proof is possible.

"Strive for perfection in everything. Take the best that exists and make it better. If it doesn't exist, create it. Accept nothing nearly right or good enough"
Sir Henry Royce
co-founder of Rolls Royce .

"BENJAMIN FRANKLIN" >>(Expanded) The bitterness of poor quality (or Crappy Workmenship) remains LONG AFTER the Sweet Taste of Low Price is forgotten.

Member Services:
jimb Avatar
jimb Jim Brown
San Francisco Bay Area, USA   USA
1967 MG MGB
If every used car I have ever bought in the last 50 years is any indication, the oil drain plug is routinely over tightened (and messed up trying to remove with something like a pair of channel locks!).

rocannon Avatar
rocannon Platinum Member Frank .
Clairvius Narcisse Township, Bokor, St. Kitts and Nevis   KNA
1967 MG MGB GT "GT From Hell"
1980 MG MGB "Restored By Photoshop Inc."
Especially those installed with anti seize.

(Yes, learned the hard way.)

In reply to # 3889170 by dickmoritz are there nuts that are frequently over-tightened by inexperienced B owners?

All of them... winking smiley

Dick

Thanks.

. . . . . . . . . .
. . . . . . . . . .
. .
. .
. .

Gerald O Avatar
Gerald O Gerald O'Docharty
Wake Forest, North Carolina, USA   USA
1978 MG MGB
Spark plugs.

riley1489 Avatar
riley1489 Gold Member Bruce H
Great White North, QC, Canada   CAN
1953 Jaguar XK120
1959 Riley 1.5 "King George"
1973 MG MGB
thermostat housing nuts.

B

Check your ego Amigo!

trmgb Avatar
trmgb todd martinez
littleton, CO, USA   USA
Not over tightened , rusted

72 engine, hif carbs, black od, rest of car stock

tahoe36c Avatar
tahoe36c Paul Hruza
Panama City, FL, USA   USA
1969 MG MGC GT "Little Red Rocket..."
1972 MG MGB GT "Tiny Dancer"
2002 Harley-Davidson Dyna
Torque values assigned to specific hardware were NEVER meant to make sure it was tightened enough...

They are listed to be sure hardware is not over-tightened!! Which may cause the plasticity of the metal to be surpassed and thus cause fatigue. Then shit breaks. Or something to that affect!!!! LOL.... smileys with beer

Don't be a Gorilla! Think "snug", not tight...

Fairfield, CA, USA   USA
and there is not a torque wrench in common existence that could accurately measure that...48 in-lbs.

Even a "snug" turn on an 8" long 5/8" combination wrench would exceed that value. So the spec is irrelevant (and wherever did it come from?). Very finger tight with a socket in the fingers would be appropriate.

1973 Pale Primrose Roadster. A nice 10-footer!
SUs, Datsun 5-speed

oleanderjoe Avatar
oleanderjoe Gold Member Joseph Baba
Fresno, CA, USA   USA
MAC: I gave my "Inch Pound" torque wrench away a couple of years ago. It would measure down to 1/2 "Inch Pound" We used it to measure the magnetic pull on a clutch in a piece of High-Speed Microfilm Photographic equipment. I gave it to a friend of mine who is a drummer in a Rock Band. The skins on the top of a "Snar" Drum have to be tightened to a certain amount. I was told Banjos also have to be tightened this way.

In reply to # 3889441 by mac townsend and there is not a torque wrench in common existence that could accurately measure that...48 in-lbs.

Even a "snug" turn on an 8" long 5/8" combination wrench would exceed that value. So the spec is irrelevant (and wherever did it come from?). Very finger tight with a socket in the fingers would be appropriate.

IN ALL SUBJECTS.: For those who believe, no proof is needed. For those who don’t believe, no proof is possible.

"Strive for perfection in everything. Take the best that exists and make it better. If it doesn't exist, create it. Accept nothing nearly right or good enough"
Sir Henry Royce
co-founder of Rolls Royce .

"BENJAMIN FRANKLIN" >>(Expanded) The bitterness of poor quality (or Crappy Workmenship) remains LONG AFTER the Sweet Taste of Low Price is forgotten.

Member Services:
Fairfield, CA, USA   USA
<G>

But not a common instrument in an MGB owner's box, nor even in an MGB shop owners' box.

1973 Pale Primrose Roadster. A nice 10-footer!
SUs, Datsun 5-speed

To add your reply, or post your own questions

Registration is FREE and takes less than a minute!

Having trouble posting or changing forum settings?
Read the Forum Help (FAQ) or contact the webmaster