Visit our Twitter feed for more great content
MGExp

MGB & GT Forum

Commonly overtightened nuts. (Under the hood, not in the driver's seat)

Moss Motors
AutoShrine Sponsor
AutoShrine Sponsor
AutoShrine Sponsor
AutoShrine Sponsor

oleanderjoe Avatar
oleanderjoe Gold Member Joseph Baba
Fresno, CA, USA   USA
I agree with that. But it is used in a lot of trades, Photographic Equipment, Gunsmithing, Medical Equipment, Weights and Measures, etc. . A friend of mine worked for the State and routinely checked the accuracy of measuring scales and used a inchlb torque wrench. There are a couple on ebay right now 1/4" drive 0-30inlbs $135.00

IN ALL SUBJECTS.: For those who believe, no proof is needed. For those who don’t believe, no proof is possible.

"Strive for perfection in everything. Take the best that exists and make it better. If it doesn't exist, create it. Accept nothing nearly right or good enough"
Sir Henry Royce
co-founder of Rolls Royce .

"BENJAMIN FRANKLIN" >>(Expanded) The bitterness of poor quality (or Crappy Workmenship) remains LONG AFTER the Sweet Taste of Low Price is forgotten.

Member Services:
tahoe36c Avatar
tahoe36c Paul Hruza
Panama City, FL, USA   USA
1969 MG MGC GT "Little Red Rocket..."
1972 MG MGB GT "Tiny Dancer"
2002 Harley-Davidson Dyna
Wanna Bet????

Tell that to the US Armed Forces/NASA or any professional A&P Mechanic!!

There are screw driver style torque devices that go as low a 5 inch pounds; accurately!!! See pic below for an example.

The problem is that torque wrenches need to be calibrated. Most "commonly used" ones (not professional use) never get calibrated.... Torque tools used in aviation must be sent to the lab for calibration at least annually or whenever dropped or shocked in some manner to ensure accuracy.

In reply to # 3889441 by mac townsend and there is not a torque wrench in common existence that could accurately measure that...48 in-lbs.

Even a "snug" turn on an 8" long 5/8" combination wrench would exceed that value. So the spec is irrelevant (and wherever did it come from?). Very finger tight with a socket in the fingers would be appropriate.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2019-02-10 09:59 PM by tahoe36c.

. Hide banner ads & support this website by becoming a > Gold Supporting Member <

Attachments:
Torque.jpg    23.2 KB
Torque.jpg

oleanderjoe Avatar
oleanderjoe Gold Member Joseph Baba
Fresno, CA, USA   USA
Somebody would say why would that be needed. WELL: Like I mentioned, I used it to set Magnetic Clutch Pull on Microfilm equipment with it. Microfilm had NO sprocket holes like Movie film, Pressure rollers advance the raw film and a Magnetic Spool
Reels up the film as it is exposed. All this is done in a Light Tight Microfilm Camera. Places like the MGM Grand in Las Vegas film every scrap of paper every 8 hours and the filmed results go to the Gaming Commission for Audits DAILY. Microfilm has to "Advance" and be "Taken Up" at an extremely constant tension to avoid "Pulling, Stretching" and possibly distorting the image. Remember now, this was a long time ago. I hope by now they are using a less complicated system. YUP, and probably that old inch pound torque wrench can just collect dust in the toolbox. CHEERS
In reply to # 3889456 by mac townsend <G>

But not a common instrument in an MGB owner's box, nor even in an MGB shop owners' box.

IN ALL SUBJECTS.: For those who believe, no proof is needed. For those who don’t believe, no proof is possible.

"Strive for perfection in everything. Take the best that exists and make it better. If it doesn't exist, create it. Accept nothing nearly right or good enough"
Sir Henry Royce
co-founder of Rolls Royce .

"BENJAMIN FRANKLIN" >>(Expanded) The bitterness of poor quality (or Crappy Workmenship) remains LONG AFTER the Sweet Taste of Low Price is forgotten.

Member Services:
sweep Avatar
sweep Gold Member Chris W
Gosford, NSW, Australia   AUS
1966 MG MGB "Basil"
2013 Volkswagen Tiguan
2015 Audi A3
Wow! Learn something new every day here!smiling bouncing smiley

The secret to creativity is knowing how to hide your sources.

To the intelligent person, life appears infinitely mysterious, but the stupid have an answer for everything.

Day Dreamers, don't discourage them. That's where original thought comes from.

little G Avatar
little G Charlie T
queensland, QLD, Australia   AUS
1964 MG MGB "Little G"
I don't know about that !!.....my 1/4 inch ..4-25 lb..the 3/8 5-80 lb .....I have also put them on the Kinchrome digital on the right ....they were spot on with that ....so I have no issues with accuracy at lower torques if needed .....the 3/4 drive , which won't fit in the draw is good for the rear axle nut ......1/4 inch drive torque wrench has always been a tool in my box ....well draw in this case ....and I own an MGB .....do I use it much ?....no not really , I feel them in at low torque ...but good to have if it is critical ...

In reply to # 3889441 by mac townsend and there is not a torque wrench in common existence that could accurately measure that...48 in-lbs.

Even a "snug" turn on an 8" long 5/8" combination wrench would exceed that value. So the spec is irrelevant (and wherever did it come from?). Very finger tight with a socket in the fingers would be appropriate.

. Hide banner ads & support this website by becoming a > Gold Supporting Member <

Attachments:
20190211_142723.jpg    56.2 KB
20190211_142723.jpg

Benny Avatar
Benny Ben E
San Diego, CA, USA   USA
When I worked at an MG shop as a teenager, a young Navy guy used to come in with his chrome bumpered Midget.

You could always tell which fastener he’d already touched, because EVERY one was tightened to the point where the threads were deformed.

We used to joke with him, and ask him If they had extra long wrenches on the Navy base.

Mustangsix Avatar
Mustangsix Gold Member Jack Collins
Orlando, FL, USA   USA
Seen on several cars lately - Spark plugs do NOT need to be screwed down as tight as your lug nuts......

Member Services:
Ceres Motorsports specializes in the repair, restoration, and customization of classic British cars including MG, Triumph, and many other makes.
Donthuis Avatar
Donthuis Don van Riet
Rijswijk, ZH, Netherlands   NLD
Nuts on the thermostat housing studs, breaking them if you are unlucky, special nuts on the valve cover distorting the cover in the process and these small bolts holding the sump to the engine block underside stripping their threads. Nuts holding the exhaust downpipe to these 6 manifold studs need to be tightened, but when the studs are already aged and brittle those studs tend to break

Most other nuts and bolts hardly ever give problems, the MGB was over-engineered on purpose during its design phase (bolts below a certain size were forbidden for the carbody and suspension parts)
I do not recall whether it was Syd Enever or John Thornton that enforced those rules on bolt sizes, but it is part of the legend MG

PS Of course these 4 bolts each holding the seats down to the floor end in captive nuts and could be a candidate, but their shallow heads make overtightening unlikely. If one extends the question to the car interior: the special bolts holding the roof frame to the side can be overtightened and the selftapping doorcapping screws sooner or later strip their threads anyhow....

Bernd Kamenicky Avatar
Bernd Kamenicky Bernard Kamenicky
Altlengbach, Lower Austria, Austria   AUT
1966 MG MGB GT "The Red One"
1971 MG MGB MkII "The Blue One"
Hi,
I don't want to jeopardize the blog but apart from all the nuts mentioned I want to draw the attention to stud bolts, especially the ones for the cylinder head.
They shall be tightened finger tight just until the end of their threads and not be "murdered on" with 2 counter nuts until they rigidly bottom out.
The shall be loaded in unidirectional strain only (ie. tension) and not be subject to torsional and bending forces.
The latter leads to 3-dimensional stress at only 2-dimensional elastic strain so the studs will eventually crack in the transition between thread and shank.
And this "eventually" can be quite soon, especially with very old or brand new studs other than ARP.
Cheers
Bernd

Paul Austin Avatar
Durham, USA   USA
1967 MG MGB
Great posts!!!

This is just the kind of stuff I was hoping to read about. Common mistakes MG owners have made.

But then there are the uncommon jobs some of the MG owners have had.

We should start a thread up, what's the most interesting thing you've tried to fix.

Happy Motoring!!!

Paul A.

ohlord Avatar
ohlord Gold Member Rob C
North of Seattle, N.W., USA   USA
1957 Land Rover Series I "EYEYIYI"
1971 MG MGB
1971 MG MGB "Bedouin 2"
Distributor cinch nut
Valve cover
Sidecovers
Oil pan
Filter
Plugs
Overdrive plates
Lug nuts
Wheel bearings

"I'm a long way gone down this wild road I'm on
It's gonna take me where I'm bound
It's a long way around"

"These are the days that must happen to you"

RD2 Radar/ Electronic Warfare Technician
Vietnam 1969-1972

ingoldsb Avatar
ingoldsb Silver Member Terry Ingoldsby
Calgary, AB, Canada   CAN
1971 MG MGB
I love it - how is working on an MG like playing a banjo? Who knew? smiling smiley

Terry Ingoldsby
terry.ingoldsby@DCExperts.com

ohlord Avatar
ohlord Gold Member Rob C
North of Seattle, N.W., USA   USA
1957 Land Rover Series I "EYEYIYI"
1971 MG MGB
1971 MG MGB "Bedouin 2"
Studs are tightened till they bottom out and backed out 1/2 turn

"I'm a long way gone down this wild road I'm on
It's gonna take me where I'm bound
It's a long way around"

"These are the days that must happen to you"

RD2 Radar/ Electronic Warfare Technician
Vietnam 1969-1972

To add your reply, or post your own questions

Registration is FREE and takes less than a minute!

Having trouble posting or changing forum settings?
Read the Forum Help (FAQ) or contact the webmaster