AutoShrine Sponsor
AutoShrine Sponsor
AutoShrine Sponsor
AutoShrine Sponsor

jseabolt Avatar
jseabolt James Seabolt
Mount Carmel, TN, USA   USA
1977 MG MGB
I understand what your saying. I'm not trying to needlessly harm the environment. I've got five cars that all vent to the atmosphere and it does in fact stink up my garage even in the winter. My wife won't even come out there! Not to mention my parts washer with 10 gallons of kerosene it in.

It is apparent even in winter, fuel evaporates to the point I could lose up to 4 gallons over the course of five months. I know this because i always top my classics off before putting them up for the winter and in spring when I start the cars, the fuel gauge always shows a loss of fuel.

What's weird is even my 2003 Subaru with a functioning fuel evaporative system does the same thing. It loses fuel over the summer while it's parked. I only drive this is car in the winter. Otherwise, I drive my beater van. I usually drive my fun cars from spring until fall. Or whenever the weather starts getting nasty.

So from April or May the Subaru sits in my garage until November. I top the fuel tank off and hook a trickle charger to the battery. I actually lost about 1/4 a tank of fuel in the meantime. So If the system is in fact working properly, then where is the fuel going? The charcoal canister is apparently not storing the vapors when the fuel in the tank expands during the summer.

I guess what I am trying to say is, catching gas fumes so it doesn't go into the atmosphere sounds like a good idea in theory but does it actually work? If fuel inside a tank expands, the pressure has to go somewhere. I don't understand how a charcoal canister can absorb these vapors and store then as a liquid them just suck it back into the system when the car is started.

I do need to study how this system works (in general). I know the theory but there has to be more to it than that.

http://s222.photobucket.com/user/turbofiat/library/?sort=2&page=0

1977 MGB
1980 Fiat 124 Spider (turbo)
1987 Yugo (1500 turbo)
1981 Trabant 601
1987 Citroen 2CV
1968 Ford Fairlane 500

. Hide this ad & support a small business by becoming a Gold Supporting Member
Was this post helpful or interesting?
Yes No Thank
jseabolt Avatar
jseabolt James Seabolt
Mount Carmel, TN, USA   USA
1977 MG MGB
I took a second look at that bag. It is in fact a bag! I don't know what I was thinking.

Whenever I get this car on the road, I'll get my friend Chuck to give me a crash course on MGB top folding/stowing.

BTW, it also has one of those covers that covers the entire cockpit except for the driver. I guess this is so you can drive the car in the winter with the top down but stay somewhat warm with the heater?

http://s222.photobucket.com/user/turbofiat/library/?sort=2&page=0

1977 MGB
1980 Fiat 124 Spider (turbo)
1987 Yugo (1500 turbo)
1981 Trabant 601
1987 Citroen 2CV
1968 Ford Fairlane 500

Yes No Thank
Lonwuff Gerald Beach
NAMPA, ID, USA   USA
The VW beetle is prone to gas vapor smells since the tank is in the front. It vented into a charcoal canister and then to the engine for further burning of the fuel. That's where the smell goes. I reconnected the line to the canister and removed the line to the engine so the vapor gets sucked out of tank to canister in the back and then just left the outlet from canister to engine open which led removed any smog control. To make this real long story short (too late). You sometimes just can't disconnect smog devices without disconnecting somewhere else.

+1 Yes No Thank
angliagt Avatar
angliagt Doug Milota
Roanoke, VA, USA   USA
1967 MG MGB GT "The MG"
1974 MG Midget MkIII "The Midget"
I was wrong - what I have is a really nice top bow (frame).
Is it worth much?

Attachments:
'68 MGB Top Bows 001.JPG    99.3 KB
'68 MGB Top Bows 001.JPG

'68 MGB Top Bows 003.JPG    96.7 KB
Sign In or Register to view this photo
'68 MGB Top Bows 002.JPG    71.9 KB
Sign In or Register to view this photo
Yes No Thank
Cocoa, FL, USA   USA
If you want to sell the bag,let me know. Greg.

Yes No Thank
Lonwuff Gerald Beach
NAMPA, ID, USA   USA
Google mg parts, open up one of the parts suppliers and look up what you have.

-1 Yes No Thank

To add your reply, or post your own questions

Registration is FREE and takes less than a minute!

Having trouble posting or changing forum settings?
Read the Forum Help (FAQ) or contact the webmaster