AutoShrine Sponsor
AutoShrine Sponsor
AutoShrine Sponsor
AutoShrine Sponsor

jseabolt Avatar
jseabolt James Seabolt
Mount Carmel, TN, USA   USA
1977 MG MGB
Cleaning out the trunk to see what's in it. Several V-belts and some other junk.

The fuel vapor think in the trunk. What's it's purpose? I removed it since my canister in the engine compartment is gone and I don't have to pass inspection.

Anybody need this to pass inspection, I'll send it to you. Just reimbursement me for shipping.

Are these bars MGB related? What about this insulation thing? Where is it supposed to go?

http://s222.photobucket.com/user/turbofiat/library/?sort=2&page=0

1977 MGB
1980 Fiat 124 Spider (turbo)
1987 Yugo (1500 turbo)
1981 Trabant 601
1987 Citroen 2CV
1968 Ford Fairlane 500

. Hide this ad & support a small business by becoming a Gold Supporting Member

Attachments:
IMG_20190312_141008696-1612x1209.jpg    40.2 KB
IMG_20190312_141008696-1612x1209.jpg

IMG_20190312_141020025-1612x1209.jpg    48.7 KB
Sign In or Register to view this photo
IMG_20190312_141031308-1209x1612.jpg    47.4 KB
Sign In or Register to view this photo
Was this post helpful or interesting?
Yes No Thank
Steven 67GT Avatar
Steven 67GT Steven Rechter
Jackson, CA, USA   USA
Parts is parts.

top photo is the fuel vapor separator mounted in the trunk, it is needed to vent your gas tank if you keep the oem non-vented fuel cap.

middle photo are the bows to arch a tonneau cover

last photo is the bag to hold the bows

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 2019-03-12 01:58 PM by Steven 67GT.

+1 Yes No Thank
  boltonfil thanked Steven 67GT for this post
jseabolt Avatar
jseabolt James Seabolt
1977 MG MGB
Thanks!

1977 MGB
1987 Yugo (1500 turbo)
1981 Trabant 601
1987 Citroen 2CV
1968 Ford Fairlane 500

Yes No Thank
EmgesMG Avatar
EmgesMG Robert Emge
Red Bluff Ca., USA   USA
The bars install crosswise in the top support brackets to support the half tonneau cover when installed, the insulated bag is for storing them.

Yes No Thank
BFC Avatar
BFC Ben Clark
Allegan, MI, USA   USA
1980 MG MGB "Kilr B"
1980 MG MGB MkIV
In reply to # 3907483 by EmgesMG The bars install crosswise in the top support brackets to support the half tonneau cover when installed, the insulated bag is for storing them.

Yes! And I'm looking for a set if you don't want yours, James!

I don't know. It's always smoked like that/made that sound/done that.

Yes No Thank
Gerry Avatar
Gerry Gold Member Gerry Masterman
Prairieville, LA, USA   USA
Why did you remove the vapor separator ? The vent from the gas tank was tied to it from the factory. There is no benefit in removing it. Where is the tank venting to now? Inside the trunk? Hope not!

+2 Yes No Thank
TonyV Avatar
TonyV Tony V
Rutherford, NJ, USA   USA
1974 MG MGB
All good stuff!

Yes No Thank
angliagt Avatar
angliagt Doug Milota
Roanoke, VA, USA   USA
1967 MG MGB GT "The MG"
1974 MG Midget MkIII "The Midget"
In reply to # 3907486 by BFC
In reply to # 3907483 by EmgesMG The bars install crosswise in the top support brackets to support the half tonneau cover when installed, the insulated bag is for storing them.

Yes! And I'm looking for a set if you don't want yours, James!

I've got set (in excellent shape) with a used bag,from a '68.

Yes No Thank
melbaver Avatar
melbaver Gold Member Chris Howells
Carrington, NSW, Australia   AUS
1968 MG MGB "Moneypit"
2012 Dodge Journey "Another Shopping Trolley"

Also supports a full tonneau cover.

Chris Howells

1968 MGB Purchased already dis-assembled but which is largely back together so I'm a lot less ignorant.

Yes No Thank
jseabolt Avatar
jseabolt James Seabolt
1977 MG MGB
In reply to # 3907510 by Gerry Why did you remove the vapor separator ? The vent from the gas tank was tied to it from the factory. There is no benefit in removing it. Where is the tank venting to now? Inside the trunk? Hope not!

Actually the thing was venting fumes into the trunk. The whole trunk smells like stale fuel. I connected the hose coming off the filler neck to the tubing going to the engine compartment . Now I got fumes venting into the engine compartment. Still not good. I got an idea.

I'll post this in another thread . I got to do some house work today!

1977 MGB
1987 Yugo (1500 turbo)
1981 Trabant 601
1987 Citroen 2CV
1968 Ford Fairlane 500

Yes No Thank
riley1489 Avatar
riley1489 Gold Member Bruce H
Great White North, QC, Canada   CAN
1953 Jaguar XK120
1959 Riley 1.5 "King George"
1973 MG MGB
In reply to # 3907909 by jseabolt Actually the thing was venting fumes into the trunk. The whole trunk smells like stale fuel. I connected the hose coming off the filler neck to the tubing going to the engine compartment . Now I got fumes venting into the engine compartment. Still not good. I got an idea.

Gerry is spot on. thumbs up

Don't bother with another thread, unfortunately it is obvious from your many other post that this excellent evaporative loss system is hacked up beyond use, and with Weber downdraught carburetor that is fitted to your car doesn't work as the float chamber vents to atmosphere. Simply cap the vent at the boot floor and drill a vent to your fuel cap.

End of story

B

Check your ego Amigo!

Yes No Thank
AndyS1964 Avatar
AndyS1964 Andrew S
Reynoldsburg, OH, USA   USA
1967 MG MGB
1974 MG MGB
Sorry to be "off topic", but ..

Wendy's had the best commercials back in the day, when Dave Thomas was alive and in charge.

In reply to # 3907480 by Steven 67GT Parts is parts.

top photo is the fuel vapor separator mounted in the trunk, it is needed to vent your gas tank if you keep the oem non-vented fuel cap.

Yes No Thank
jseabolt Avatar
jseabolt James Seabolt
1977 MG MGB
In reply to # 3907914 by riley1489
In reply to # 3907909 by jseabolt Actually the thing was venting fumes into the trunk. The whole trunk smells like stale fuel. I connected the hose coming off the filler neck to the tubing going to the engine compartment . Now I got fumes venting into the engine compartment. Still not good. I got an idea.

Gerry is spot on. thumbs up

Don't bother with another thread, unfortunately it is obvious from your many other post that this excellent evaporative loss system is hacked up beyond use, and with Weber downdraught carburetor that is fitted to your car doesn't work as the float chamber vents to atmosphere. Simply cap the vent at the boot floor and drill a vent to your fuel cap.

End of story

B

I'm not really sure what your talking about.

The whole car has been de-smogged. I think it's pointless trying to source all of these emission parts down just for the sake of keeping the car original. If that's what your talking about.

Were MGBs fitted with such a fuel vapor recover system that were sold in the UK? If your car has a catalytic converter and the inside collapsed would you buy another cat just because the car came with one from the factory or would you weld in a straight pipe? If you didn't have to pass an inspection.

Concerning the Weber carburetor. I have not driven the car on the road yet to see how it behaves. I've been busting my balls this entire winter on this car. My assumption is it ran OK but just based on my experience with Webers, I know they are sensitive to fuel pressure spikes above 3 PSI. I just don't like the idea of dead heading fuel pressure against a float valve.

I'm going with drilling a hole in the fuel cap as suggested and using the 1/4" line as the fuel return line.

1977 MGB
1987 Yugo (1500 turbo)
1981 Trabant 601
1987 Citroen 2CV
1968 Ford Fairlane 500

Yes No Thank
jseabolt Avatar
jseabolt James Seabolt
1977 MG MGB
In reply to # 3907480 by Steven 67GT Parts is parts.

I'll take a second look when I get home but at first glance this didn't look like a bag to me. On the backside it has the same type of brown insulation used on the hood pads. It looked like some sort of insulation pad that fell off.

But it does resemble the shape of the rods. Could this be one half of the bag? From the photo, it kind of looks like there was stitching around the edges. I only looked at it for a few seconds after getting it out of the trunk.

So was the insulation used to keep the bars from rattling?

1977 MGB
1987 Yugo (1500 turbo)
1981 Trabant 601
1987 Citroen 2CV
1968 Ford Fairlane 500

Yes No Thank
riley1489 Avatar
riley1489 Gold Member Bruce H
Great White North, QC, Canada   CAN
1953 Jaguar XK120
1959 Riley 1.5 "King George"
1973 MG MGB
In reply to # 3908398 by jseabolt Gerry is spot on. thumbs up

I'm not really sure what your talking about.

1) The whole car has been de-smogged. I think it's pointless trying to source all of these emission parts down just for the sake of keeping the car original. If that's what your talking about.

2) Were MGBs fitted with such a fuel vapor recover system that were sold in the UK?
3) If your car has a catalytic converter and the inside collapsed would you buy another cat just because the car came with one from the factory or would you weld in a straight pipe? If you didn't have to pass an inspection.

Concerning the Weber carburetor. I have not driven the car on the road yet to see how it behaves. I've been busting my balls this entire winter on this car. My assumption is it ran OK but just based on my experience with Webers, I know they are sensitive to fuel pressure spikes above 3 PSI. I just don't like the idea of dead heading fuel pressure against a float valve.

I'm going with drilling a hole in the fuel cap as suggested and using the 1/4" line as the fuel return line.

James

Just trying to help you out here. cool smiley this has nothing to do with originality, in fact quite the opposite. Hence my suggestion to drill the hole and carry on.

But because you ask;

1) De smogged is so misunderstood. winking smiley I am not addressing the EGR valve, air injection rail, air pump etc. What I am referring to is evaporative loss system only. This is a totally passive system, and does no harm to performance and does a tiny bit of good for the environment. In general this system consists of a charcoal adsorption canister in the engine bay. This canister adsorbs fuel vapors that vent from the fuel tank and (carburetor float chamber) as fitted OE, and stored at rest. Once the engine is started to run these vapors are drawn with fresh air through the canister, the fuel vapors are picked up from the activated charcoal and introduced into the engine, mixed with crankcase gases and introduced into the intake to be burned up in normal combustion. Simple and effective.
2) No the MGB was not fitted with this system. Only the US of A environment regulations demanded this system.
3) Odd question and of course only if emissions testing is required as you write.

I am rather curious about this "1/4" line as the fuel return line." Not sure how you plan to do this, can you elaborate? This has been discussed often before with no solution.

B

Check your ego Amigo!

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2019-03-14 09:22 AM by riley1489.

Yes No Thank

To add your reply, or post your own questions

Registration is FREE and takes less than a minute!

Having trouble posting or changing forum settings?
Read the Forum Help (FAQ) or contact the webmaster