AutoShrine Sponsor
AutoShrine Sponsor

dmarth Avatar
dmarth Silver Member Dennis Marth
Aiken, SC, USA   USA
1963 MG MGB "Thunder Bolt Grease Slapper!!"
1993 Cadillac Allante
1998 BMW MC R1200C "Klaus"
Maybe this was already known, but last night I was surfing and clicked on the Brit-Tek Site.

There is a statement from the owner tha after 40 years in the business he was retiring.

Given That the B-Hive in SC is also winding down, we are quickly losing valuable resources.

Sad to see.

. Hide this ad & support a small business by becoming a Gold Supporting Member
Was this post helpful or interesting?
Yes No Thank
ghnl Avatar
ghnl Silver Member Eric Russell
Mebane, NC, USA   USA
1961 MG MGA "Calvin"
The closing discussion starts on page three: https://www.mgexp.com/phorum/read.php?1,737834,page=3

Eric Russell ~ Mebane, NC
1961 MGA #61, 1981 Alfa Romeo GTV6, 1984 Alfa Romeo Spider, 1991 Honda ST1100

Yes No Thank
pilumxxi Silver Member Terry Nydeen
Albany, MN, USA   USA
1977 MG MGB "Honey II"
The closing of Brit-Tek is a serious loss to the MGB community. Bob supplied quality parts and service. His friendly on phone advice was very important and so helpful. What a great guy. Bob, enjoy your retirement. You will be missed!
Terry

Yes No Thank
wicklowwanderer Avatar
wicklowwanderer David Steverson
Marietta, GA, USA   USA
Yes, I wondered what was up with the Bhive. I thought at first that they were just redesigning their site, but it's not getting better.

Yes No Thank
29desoto Avatar
29desoto Gold Member Wayne Sanders
Outside Otis, OR - in the woods!, USA   USA
1965 MG MGB V6 Conversion "Carmine"
1968 MG MGB GT "New Yeller"
1973 MG MGB GT "Eliza - FIRST PLACE - MG2013"
1984 Chevrolet Corvette "The Green Weenie"    & more
We're going to be down to one or two suppliers soon. It seems to me like the "thrill" of the MGB is not passing down the generations.

Younger folks (for the most part) are not interested in cold, drafty, damp cars. I can relate to that. I'm just not interested in boring cars.

As our local area club gets older, I see lots of great cars being offered for sale. But not a whole lot of takers. Which means prices are in the toilet.

Whomever lives the longest may end up owning ALL the MG's in the world!

Look out, Ric. Got my eye on that conversion of yours!eye popping smiley

Wayne Sanders
Rose Lodge, OR
(TD 4288)

"I don't care to belong to any club that accepts people like me"-joined Willamette Valley Club in 2011

73 MGB-GT virtually stole this one. Someone up there likes me.

68 MGB-GT the daily mule. Solid as a rock, but rattles like a can full of them!

79/65 MGB - Carmine- V-6 - T-5
This car is now very nearly completely done. Sure to find something else, but not now.........

Yes No Thank
ClayJ Avatar
ClayJ Silver Member Clay Johnston
Mt. Olive, MS, USA   USA
1972 MG MGB
Sad to hear but congrats to Bob on his retirement!

Yes No Thank
Nicecar Avatar
Nicecar Gary (ex "Harv") G
Victoria, BC, Canada   CAN
1980 MG MGB "Red On Red On Red"
"cold, drafty, damp cars."
What, Where? Not Mine!

I too was dismayed when I called BHive recently and learned he was stopping carrying some items I'd bought in past (bullets?).

Having owned my B for 25 years, and just yesterday mentioning my love for it to someone, where I've had my hands on almost everything in car, and yet hearing so many folks speak about this lovely design, I wonder why more don't buy?

Maybe, as electronics take over the world, young people are more interested in instant gratification (Miata), but not willing to give up wasted time on their smart devices and get the "high" of fatuous responses, than do something to actually fix a problem.

It's a real shame folks like Bob can't find a younger person, to take on a paying business. There are enough of us around world with parts needs to keep it viable.

+1 Yes No Thank
Rayhpgh Avatar
Rayhpgh Ray Halackna
Pittsburgh, PA, USA   USA
1974 MG MGB
My 74 B is not cold, drafty or damp. Maybe you have some holes in yours. LOL. Of course my B has not seen rain or snow in 20+ years.

Yes No Thank
spikemichael Avatar
spikemichael Platinum Member Michael Caputo
Ocean Shores, WA, USA   USA
1973 MG MGB "Freebie"
1973 MG MGB
1974 MG MGB "Spike"
1979 MG MGB "MegaBeanie"    & more
Its a real shame Bob didn't have a larger cut of the parts pie or he would have stayed open, or passed it on to someone.

Not that it is anyone here's fault for selling parts, but consider that none of you (them) are about to build a MOSS / Vickie Brit style warehouse and sales staff.

Michael J. Caputo
'79 RBB and '73 CBB owner with extensive experience in 12v Audio System design and installation.
Vendor of Regalia and Promotional Products. Forum Member with a warped sense of humor.

Member Services:
Call me at 978-249-5760 PST for help with your Weber DGV Carburetor, questions about the calendar, or just to talk MGBs! Send high resolution photo submissions for next year's calendar to 2020photos@mgbcalendar.com
Yes No Thank
Speedracer Avatar
Speedracer Platinum AdvertiserAdvertiser Hap Waldrop
Greenville, SC, USA   USA
1967 MG MGB Racecar "The Biscuit"
These are specialty businesses, not much chance of selling them, or passing them on to family, but most of us, Bob including probably knew this going in. I have no illusion that I would ever sell Acme Speed Shop, it is me, just like Brit Tek is Bob, or the B hive is Gordon, and Doug, without the people it is really nothing more than parts, furniture and tools. After seeing this thread, I realized I had not talked to Gordon in some time, so I gave him a call, and he said he was going to spool down, liquidate and quit, and maybe even sell the newer location, as he owns that building too, he already sold the old location. In fact we discussed how he and Doug could put up some of that stuff he wants to sell on the Vendors Market here. None of us like to see a place close, for me that place was Winners Circle a long time Spridget part and racing parts business, but they did offer some custom made pieces and Dave Gorgi was finally able to sell it to fellow in Cincinnati. One day I too will have to quit, like Gordon and maybe Bob, I too will have a wind down plan, and move to a slower pace. a long time ago I tried to develop a plan that will take me into my golden years, I guess time will tell if it works out. Bob, and Gordon will all be missed in the hobby, but what I hope for the most is they enjoy their retirement smileys with beer

Hap Waldrop
Acme Speed Shop
864-370-3000
hapwaldrop@acmespeedshop.com

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2018-08-15 11:47 AM by Speedracer.

Member Services:
MG/ Triumph Performance Street/Race Engines - Cylinder Head Porting - Modified SU HS Carbs - DIY Engine Rebuild Kits With Free Tech Advice - VTO alloy wheels for British Sport Cars, and others
+2 Yes No Thank
RAY 67 TOURER Avatar
RAY 67 TOURER Ray Marloff
Fort Bragg, CA, USA   USA
1967 MG MGB "My Girl"
I've owned my little darling for over 46 years now. When I first purchased it, back in '72, parts even then were hard to source. I was lucky enough to pick up a '67 parts car and remove every possible part from it. I'm still using them to this day. For the most part better quality than new. RAY

Yes No Thank
riley1489 Avatar
riley1489 Gold Member Bruce H
Great White North, QC, Canada   CAN
1953 Jaguar XK120
1959 Riley 1.5 "King George"
1973 MG MGB
In reply to # 3791350 by RAY 67 TOURER When I first purchased it, back in '72, parts even then were hard to source.

Ray,
Curious statement indeed. confused smiley
During the 70's years my buddies and I just drove to one of many BL dealers for parts. Never a problem for parts, and the quality of them kept us on the road.

B

Check your ego Amigo!

Yes No Thank
tampaguy Avatar
tampaguy Jack Shea
Elgin, OR, USA   USA
After Sheppard’s Imports closed its doors in Tampa, Dave Heinz moved the remains to Hillsboro Ave. Afterwards getting parts was more difficult because he was more interested in just selling cars and racing his Corvette. The folks who owned MG’s, Triumph’s, Jag’s, Austin Healey’s had to go to the independent parts distributor to obtain parts. I still remember the bar stools at the counter.

Yes No Thank
EoinO Eoin O'Riordan
Milton, MA, USA   USA
Does anyone know how to get a hold of Bob? I left an unused credit I would like to see if I can use.

Thanks!

Yes No Thank
Fairfield, CA, USA   USA
I had 1 transaction with Brit-Tek. It was in the frame of the 9/11 attacks and it took quite a long time to get the DGV Weber kit I had ordered. Clearly not Brit Tek's fault.

They claimed the carb was properly jetted for an MGB. I found this not to be true, from my perspective of actually running the thing. I was getting 17 mpg, the linkage was completely screwed up (could not get full throttle, only about halfway), and I actually had the carb fall off the damn car in a turn even though I'd tightened the thing as well as could be (should have used locking nuts, but they were not provided, and I did not imagine the need for them. When the choke linkage fell the hell off, and I called, he simply told me to put it back on. Duh. But why would this "tuned to an MGB" stuff actually happen?

I believe they simply repackaged whatever configuration they received and sent it out. Which was not what the promoted.

I was not at all impressed with them. And never bought from them again.

1973 Pale Primrose Roadster. A nice 10-footer!
SUs, Datsun 5-speed

Yes No Thank

To add your reply, or post your own questions

Registration is FREE and takes less than a minute!

Having trouble posting or changing forum settings?
Read the Forum Help (FAQ) or contact the webmaster