AutoShrine Sponsor
AutoShrine Sponsor
AutoShrine Sponsor
AutoShrine Sponsor

JoeReed Avatar
JoeReed Gold Member Joe Reed
Cordova, TN, USA   USA
1978 MG MGB "Kermit"
My wife has complained (for quite a while!) that the passenger's seat was uncomfortable. Being a typical husband, I pretty much ignored here since mine felt fine. smiling smiley Since the weather sucks too much now for golf or top down driving I decided to spend a little time in the garage...

Turns out that the foam is actually in excellent condition - it was replaced by the PO just prior to me obtaining the car. But...it's pretty apparent that he didn't replace the webbing. I'm sure my side looks almost as bad, but I haven't looked at it yet.

I'd prefer to use the diaphragms, but I know that there have been problems with some in the past with the hooks tearing through....although those threads I researched are a few years old. Anyone bought and installed new diaphragms recently? If so, and if they didn't present that problem, where did you source them? Moss? TRF? Other?

. Hide banner ads & support this website by becoming a > Gold Supporting Member <

Attachments:
IMG_20190209_172017008.jpg    62.2 KB
IMG_20190209_172017008.jpg

chris Avatar
chris Platinum Member Chris Roop
Pendleton, OR, USA   USA
Many switched to the webbing rather than trust a diaphragm. None of my purchased diaphragms had the ripping out problem so I have stuck with the Moss version (which I'm pretty sure is the same as elsewhere).

Member Services:
Used English car parts.
JoeReed Avatar
Cordova, TN, USA   USA
1978 MG MGB "Kermit"
Yeah...I doubt there's more than one manufacturer of an item like that. I'm going to use the diaphragms.Just need to yank the other seat to see if I need anything else.

While the seats are out I suppose I'll put in the new carpet I've had since 2006 eye rolling smiley Hopefully that'll be all I do for this project (other than cleaning/repainting the seat frames).

I may also replace the seat packings. The current packings are some I made from 1x2 wood (maybe oak, I don't remember) painted black. They're still perfect, but I may get some 3/4" square steel tubing and make another set. The 3/4" height hasn't been a problem at all....and the steel tubing would outlast me....

I'm trying to avoid project creep.....don't want to end up doing a total resto grinning smiley

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2019-02-09 07:10 PM by JoeReed.

Diver648 Gold Member Warren Siringer
Tucson, AZ, USA   USA
1967 MG MGB
1967 MG MGB GT
1969 MG MGB MkII
1971 MG MGB GT    & more
The diaphragms will make you sit higher so might want to check the seat height before you replace the wood strips.

. Hide banner ads & support this website by becoming a > Gold Supporting Member <
oleanderjoe Avatar
oleanderjoe Gold Member Joseph Baba
Fresno, CA, USA   USA
REALLY Curious about your numbers. ???? I am 5' 6" and weigh 140 lbs. 1x2" seat rail wood packings would make me sit too high. ???? Normally the packing is about 1/4" even 3/4" would be too much. Are you more "Height Challenged" than I ?? confused smiley

In reply to # 3888768 by JoeReed My wife has complained (for quite a while!) that the passenger's seat was uncomfortable. Being a typical husband, I pretty much ignored here since mine felt fine. smiling smiley Since the weather sucks too much now for golf or top down driving I decided to spend a little time in the garage...

Turns out that the foam is actually in excellent condition - it was replaced by the PO just prior to me obtaining the car. But...it's pretty apparent that he didn't replace the webbing. I'm sure my side looks almost as bad, but I haven't looked at it yet.

I'd prefer to use the diaphragms, but I know that there have been problems with some in the past with the hooks tearing through....although those threads I researched are a few years old. Anyone bought and installed new diaphragms recently? If so, and if they didn't present that problem, where did you source them? Moss? TRF? Other?

IN ALL SUBJECTS.: For those who believe, no proof is needed. For those who don’t believe, no proof is possible.

"Strive for perfection in everything. Take the best that exists and make it better. If it doesn't exist, create it. Accept nothing nearly right or good enough"
Sir Henry Royce
co-founder of Rolls Royce .

"BENJAMIN FRANKLIN" >>(Expanded) The bitterness of poor quality (or Crappy Workmenship) remains LONG AFTER the Sweet Taste of Low Price is forgotten.

Member Services:
DrewM Avatar
DrewM Drew Maddock
74 MGB roadster, Southern California, USA   USA
Solid diaphragm
1. Stiff, hard and unforgiving
2. Uncomfortable
3. Unhappy wife

Straps
1. More flexible and forgiving
2. Much more comfortable
4. Happy wife = Happy life

I've used both -- and the straps win hands down. Even better, the new straps sold by Moss Motors are no longer the old rubber strapping. The new ones are a different, sturdier material that looks like it won't degrade like rubber but is still flexible enough to make your bottom say "Thank you, thank you very much." I redid my seats just last year using the solid rubber diaphragm.
Mistake. Hard and unpleasant. And I was sitting way too high for comfort. Out came the seats once more to have the diaphragms removed and the new Moss straps installed. Much more comfortable sitting position. Very happy now.

Drew Maddock, So. Calif. USofA

JoeReed Avatar
Cordova, TN, USA   USA
1978 MG MGB "Kermit"
In reply to # 3888918 by oleanderjoe REALLY Curious about your numbers. ???? I am 5' 6" and weigh 140 lbs. 1x2" seat rail wood packings would make me sit too high. ???? Normally the packing is about 1/4" even 3/4" would be too much. Are you more "Height Challenged" than I ?? confused smiley

I'm 5'7" and don't find that the 3/4" packings really seem any different that the original 1/4" ones (a 1x2 is actually 3/4" thick). After all, it's only 1/2" difference....two people of different weight probably create more difference than that by compressing the seat foams....

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2019-02-09 10:20 PM by JoeReed.

JoeReed Avatar
Cordova, TN, USA   USA
1978 MG MGB "Kermit"
In reply to # 3888920 by DrewM Solid diaphragm
1. Stiff, hard and unforgiving
2. Uncomfortable
3. Unhappy wife

Straps
1. More flexible and forgiving
2. Much more comfortable
4. Happy wife = Happy life

I've used both -- and the straps win hands down. Even better, the new straps sold by Moss Motors are no longer the old rubber strapping. The new ones are a different, sturdier material that looks like it won't degrade like rubber but is still flexible enough to make your bottom say "Thank you, thank you very much." I redid my seats just last year using the solid rubber diaphragm.
Mistake. Hard and unpleasant. And I was sitting way too high for comfort. Out came the seats once more to have the diaphragms removed and the new Moss straps installed. Much more comfortable sitting position. Very happy now.

Oh, thanks a lot.....now you've got me second guessing my decision to use the diaphragms devil smiley

oleanderjoe Avatar
oleanderjoe Gold Member Joseph Baba
Fresno, CA, USA   USA
10-4 thumbs up

In reply to # 3888926 by JoeReed
In reply to # 3888918 by oleanderjoe REALLY Curious about your numbers. ???? I am 5' 6" and weigh 140 lbs. 1x2" seat rail wood packings would make me sit too high. ???? Normally the packing is about 1/4" even 3/4" would be too much. Are you more "Height Challenged" than I ?? confused smiley

I'm 5'7" and don't find that the 3/4" packings really seem any different that the original 1/4" ones (a 1x2 is actually 3/4" thick). After all, it's only 1/2" difference....two people of different weight probably create more difference than that by compressing the seat foams....

IN ALL SUBJECTS.: For those who believe, no proof is needed. For those who don’t believe, no proof is possible.

"Strive for perfection in everything. Take the best that exists and make it better. If it doesn't exist, create it. Accept nothing nearly right or good enough"
Sir Henry Royce
co-founder of Rolls Royce .

"BENJAMIN FRANKLIN" >>(Expanded) The bitterness of poor quality (or Crappy Workmenship) remains LONG AFTER the Sweet Taste of Low Price is forgotten.

Member Services:
Wray Avatar
Wray Gold Member Wray Lemke
., SC, USA   USA
Joe, Gerry made sets of packing out of aluminum for a bunch of us years ago. If looking for something long lasting you might consider using Starboard. It's virtually indestructible, comes in several thickness. Not sure where you might find a place nearby that would have small pieces for sale. I might have enough scrap to make a set of packings.

Donthuis Avatar
Donthuis Don van Riet
Rijswijk, ZH, Netherlands   NLD
These webbing straps last for a VERY long time. I once compensated for the slight stretching of my 1972 originals by bending the metal hooks at the ends somewhat shorter. smiling smiley
Even with these old straps in I had some difficulty getting under my steering wheel after putting new seating foams and seat covers in. Fortunately these foams settled in a few months thumbs up

Of course the rubber diaphragms have another to some of us slightly theoretical disadvantage, especially in Tourers: they ventilate less and moisture or rain in the foams is kept inside much longer

JoeReed Avatar
Cordova, TN, USA   USA
1978 MG MGB "Kermit"
In reply to # 3889017 by Wray Joe, Gerry made sets of packing out of aluminum for a bunch of us years ago. If looking for something long lasting you might consider using Starboard. It's virtually indestructible, comes in several thickness. Not sure where you might find a place nearby that would have small pieces for sale. I might have enough scrap to make a set of packings.

I'm not really concerned about longevity....the wooden ones I made 14 years ago are still perfect....and I'll be 70 next month smiling smiley I'll likely just keep using them. The thought of making new ones was just the onset of the might-as-well disease....gotta try to avoid that!

JoeReed Avatar
Cordova, TN, USA   USA
1978 MG MGB "Kermit"
I'm going with Drew's advice and ordering the webbing. I trust his opinion,,,,and figure there must be a reason the factory changed. I don't think it was a cost consideration, since I can't see the webbing and it's frame (and assembly) being cheaper than the diaphragm...

chris Avatar
Pendleton, OR, USA   USA
In reply to # 3888834 by JoeReed Yeah...I doubt there's more than one manufacturer of an item like that. I'm going to use the diaphragms.Just need to yank the other seat to see if I need anything else.

While the seats are out I suppose I'll put in the new carpet I've had since 2006 eye rolling smiley Hopefully that'll be all I do for this project (other than cleaning/repainting the seat frames).

I may also replace the seat packings. The current packings are some I made from 1x2 wood (maybe oak, I don't remember) painted black. They're still perfect, but I may get some 3/4" square steel tubing and make another set. The 3/4" height hasn't been a problem at all....and the steel tubing would outlast me....

I'm trying to avoid project creep.....don't want to end up doing a total resto grinning smiley
It sounds like you are well along your way to "project creep". smiling smiley

Member Services:
Used English car parts.
chris Avatar
Pendleton, OR, USA   USA
I haven't heard of these new straps. Drew has me wondering also since the last set of seats are just sitting in the 65 waiting for the interior assemble.

Member Services:
Used English car parts.

To add your reply, or post your own questions

Registration is FREE and takes less than a minute!

Having trouble posting or changing forum settings?
Read the Forum Help (FAQ) or contact the webmaster