'69 GT Running Light Issue

Moss Motors
AutoShrine Sponsor
AutoShrine Sponsor
AutoShrine Sponsor
AutoShrine Sponsor

jordy6x7 Jordy Greider
Wimberley, TX, USA   USA
Hey yall, new guy here. I've got a '69 GT and I'm working on tracking down a problem with the rear running lights. Everything is dead, but the front works fine. I've been reading about bad grounds, but it seems that one side or the other won't work when it's a ground issue, where mine is it all being dead. Any insights? Where do the wires to the rear lights run? Just trying to trace everything with my test light to figure out where the power is stopping (everything in the engine compartment has power).

. Hide this ad & support a small business by becoming a Gold Supporting Member
Was this post helpful or interesting?
Yes No Thank
allanreeling ALLAN R
RANDLAY, TELFORD, Shropshire, UK   GBR
First check that bunch of bullet connectors, under the hood on the R/H side in front of the bulkhead. They corrode and lose conductivity.
The wires come into the boot/trunk on the R/H side and are bulleted to the light fittings and number plate lights. Grounding for tail lights and N P lamps are through the fittings themselves. The tail lights have a "barbed", pressed nut which is supposed to penetrate the paint, the N P lights rely on metal to metal contact as well. Try just running a fly lead from a light unit screw, to a good earth and see if that sheds any light!!!spinning smiley sticking its tongue out

soonerv8

Yes No Thank
lewk Avatar
lewk Silver Member Keith Lewis
Cambridge, ON, Canada   CAN
Check out the wiring diagram for your model and year.

Attachments:
mgb.pdf    1.49 MB

Yes No Thank
rrmgb Avatar
rrmgb Silver Member robert schau
Reston, VA., USA   USA
1973 MG MGB
1973 MG MGB
Take your test light to the boot. Continue with power readings.
You'll find it.
Typically the lights are fused left and right side. When both are out it should be an easy find.

"It is a mistake to try to look too far ahead. The chain of destiny can only be grasped one link at a time."
Sir Winston Churchill
---------------------------------------------------------------
"It all starts in your mind's eye, then it goes to your heart
and finally to your very soul."
G.S.George PHD

Yes No Thank
Gerry Avatar
Gerry Gold Member Gerry Masterman
Prairieville, LA, USA   USA
I had issues with the side lights on my 72B. What I found was the fact that there were NO separate ground wires for these fixtures. The socket had to make a good ground to the fender in order for them to work reliably. I added ground wires hooded to the socket with poprivets and tied them to a dedicated ground and things worked fine. I was surprised that there were no dedicated ground wires made into the sockets. This was different from other MGBs that I have owned.

Yes No Thank
Rudy-B Gold Member Rudy B
Kingston, WA, USA   USA
1969 MG MGB
Jordy, there should be two fuse holders near the firewall on the front right fender/wing. One is for the rear running lights and the other is for the turn signals I think. The taillights will be the red wires. Check the fuse...if it is blown there might be a short as these wires run about 6 inches off the ground along with the battery cable ,fuel line and as well as various other wires that go to the rear of the car.

I know enough to know that I don't know enough.

If the women don't find you handsome they should at least find you handy. Red Green

Yes No Thank
allanreeling ALLAN R
RANDLAY, TELFORD, Shropshire, UK   GBR
Top 2 fuses are left and right side/running lights.

soonerv8

Yes No Thank
Rudy-B Gold Member Rudy B
Kingston, WA, USA   USA
1969 MG MGB
Jordy and Allan, you need to be careful here because a 1969 US spec car is wired differently than both the US and British 1970 cars . On an original 1969 US car there is a 2 fuse main fuse box with 2 British rated fuses at 35 amps...these are not the same as an American AGC fuses and you should either acquire 35 amp british fuses or put in AGC fuses at 1/2 that amperage rating. The two line fuses mentioned before both are on red lighting wires with one protecting the rear lights and the other the front parking lights. I strongly suggest Jordy that you get a copy of your wiring diagram and better yet get a copy of the Bentely manual as it will save you a fair amount of grief. The fuses in the line fuses are 10 amp British or 5 amp American...perhaps SFE fuses rated at 32v will fit here.

I know enough to know that I don't know enough.

If the women don't find you handsome they should at least find you handy. Red Green

Yes No Thank

To add your reply, or post your own questions

Registration is FREE and takes less than a minute!

Having trouble posting or changing forum settings?
Read the Forum Help (FAQ) or contact the webmaster

Join The Club

Sign in to ask questions, share photos, and access all website features

Your Cars

1979 MG MGB Limited Edition LE

Text Size

Larger Smaller
Reset Save

Sponsor Links