Moss Motors
AutoShrine Sponsor
AutoShrine Sponsor
AutoShrine Sponsor
AutoShrine Sponsor

donrissa Avatar
donrissa Don G
Coventry, RI, USA   USA
Hi, the key cylinder on my car is binding when starting and even worse when trying to remove key with the little push lock. Question- I see aftermarket cylinders with mounting brackets for very reasonable $- are they any good or should I buy OEM Lucas?
Thanks.

1980 MGB
GVVDJ2AG503928

. Hide this ad & support a small business by becoming a Gold Supporting Member
Was this post helpful or interesting?
Yes No Thank
JohnyMc Avatar
JohnyMc John McFarlane
Mossman, Queensland, Australia   AUS
Hmmmmmm....have you tried a bit of oil in the lock?

Semi retired Auto Electrician with over 44 years experience. Specializing in pre 1975 car electrical systems. Trained on early Lucas, Bosch and Magnetti Marelli systems.
Australian Auto Electrician actively rebuilding and calibrating early Lucas and Delco Remy 1/2/3 bobbin regulators, Lucas generators/alternators (including 3rd brush and generator/starters) and magnetos. Large supply of original Lucas 1960 and 1970's parts to suit British cars (assembled and/or exported).

Available for guidance/assistance via email.

Be warned......I'm an grumpy old fart. I take no shit from people too lazy to do a preliminary search of the forum or google so therefore don't deserve my time.
Nor do I appreciate wasting time providing suggestions towards a solution to then have you ignore them because you have to do some actual investigative work, in favour of a possible solution from a knowall friend of a friend of a friend who once upon a time was a gardener with a shifting spanner and a set of pliers and somehow pretended they'd fixed their glowing ignition lamp with a piece of surgical tape, speck of moon dust, a scratch of their arse and a rusty razor blade.

And having said that, please don't mistake me for someone who even remotely cares what you think.

Yes No Thank
donrissa Avatar
donrissa Don G
Coventry, RI, USA   USA
Tried cleaning and light oil. Feels like a mechanical bind.

1980 MGB
GVVDJ2AG503928

Yes No Thank
allanreeling ALLAN R
RANDLAY, TELFORD, Shropshire, UK   GBR
The keys wear, it's worth getting a new one cut. The blanks are available on line.

soonerv8

Yes No Thank
donrissa Avatar
donrissa Don G
Coventry, RI, USA   USA
I have a new key. same thing. I'm going to replace and was just wondering in anyone could tell me about the quality of the aftermarket assemblies.

1980 MGB
GVVDJ2AG503928

Yes No Thank
allanreeling ALLAN R
RANDLAY, TELFORD, Shropshire, UK   GBR
Don, The last new steering lock I fitted to my roadster I think was a Land Rover item. Not a carbon copy, but fitted perfectly and has worked faultlessly for 10 years

soonerv8

Yes No Thank
mgdriver67 Avatar
mgdriver67 Silver Member Stephen Farrell
Pensacola, FL, USA   USA
1967 MG MGB MkI "Lulu"
2017 Honda Ridgeline 4WD "Mom's Truck"
2019 Subaru Crosstrek XV "Suki"
Mine’s a 67 but my key assembly failed last year and was replaced by one from one of usual suppliers. It’s probably a Chinese one. It seems to function well and looks identical. I don’t expect it to last as long as the original but I’m 70 years old so that’ll be someone else’s problem.

Yes No Thank
Cornfgl Avatar
Cornfgl Graham Cornford
Bellville, TX, USA   USA
1974 MG MGB GT V8 "Goose Poop"
Don and John,

Locks should never be oiled. Any attempt to ease a key's use in the lock should only be done with graphite powder which usually comes in a small puffer tube for you to blow it into the keyhole, then you work the key gently.

Do remember to wipe off the key afterwards unless you are happy with graphite powder in your pocket, which will eventually get everywhere.

+1 Yes No Thank
JBrosecity Avatar
JBrosecity Joe Burkle
Vancouver, WA, USA   USA
I replaced mine a couple years ago... 1980 MGB roadster. Was pretty easy and cost $51 from British Parts Northwest. Has worked flawlessly since.

1980 MGB Roadster
Weber carb w/ K&N, O/D

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2019-03-15 10:09 AM by JBrosecity.

Yes No Thank
Nicecar Avatar
Nicecar Gary (ex "Harv") G
Victoria, BC, Canada   CAN
1980 MG MGB "Red On Red On Red"
"Locks should never be oiled. Any attempt to ease a key's use in the lock should only be done with graphite powder"

Taking this advice, and not wanting to buy more chemicals I seldom use, I went to a specialty car lock-smith. They gave me a free-bee & I became a loyal customer.

All it took was a few seconds of tech time and spray.
They of course made no guarantee of success; but worth a try.

Yes No Thank
greenrman Gold Member Don B
Kelowna, BC, Canada   CAN
1973 MG MGB "Oscar"
2005 BMW 3 Series Cabriolet "Sabrina"
In reply to # 3909116 by Cornfgl Don and John,

Locks should never be oiled. Any attempt to ease a key's use in the lock should only be done with graphite powder which usually comes in a small puffer tube for you to blow it into the keyhole, then you work the key gently.

Do remember to wipe off the key afterwards unless you are happy with graphite powder in your pocket, which will eventually get everywhere.

^ this x 10. Do not use WD-40, oil, or anything but graphite powder. Oil attracts dust and smudge. I had this problem with my ignition key not coming out of cylinder, frustrating 2hrs trying to figure out how to get it out. I eventually did, and then made a B-line to Canadian Tire to get graphite powder and shot it into the cylinder. I still do that on occasion. In fact I keep that same graphite powder bottle in my trunk should that happen whilst out & about. But never had an issue since.

Yes No Thank

To add your reply, or post your own questions

Registration is FREE and takes less than a minute!

Having trouble posting or changing forum settings?
Read the Forum Help (FAQ) or contact the webmaster