1974 MGB Transmission Rear Seal Removal

Moss Motors
AutoShrine Sponsor
AutoShrine Sponsor
AutoShrine Sponsor
AutoShrine Sponsor

MerrittIsland74MGB Avatar
Merritt Island, Merritt Island, USA   USA
Last step before installing the engine is replacing a leaky rear transmission seal (22B369 MOWOG transmission). There was a metal cover over the seal that will not come out. It actually appears to be a sleeve that goes to the rear bearing in the transmission. I tried a slide hammer and that did not work. Based on some reading then moved on to a chisel/dremel. No luck. As you can see it is a mess now. BTW - the seal under the cover did eventually break and I was able to remove it. The replacement, Moss 121-120, looks pretty wimpy compared to the one I removed.

Does anyone know to remove this sleeve?

. Hide banner ads & support this website by becoming a > Gold Supporting Member <

Attachments:
seal.jpg    37.6 KB
seal.jpg

dickmoritz Avatar
dickmoritz Platinum Member Dick Moritz
Philly 'burbs, PA, USA   USA
That's the outer sleeve of the rear seal and must come out...

The OE seal is substantially heftier than the replacement, but the replacement works fine...

Dick

Errabundi Saepe, Semper Certi
(Often wrong, but always certain)

Brightguy Avatar
Brightguy David Sippola
Lawrenceburg, IN, USA   USA
1976 MG MGB MkIII "TBD"
Looks like this if you get it out in one piece, sorta one piece.

. Hide banner ads & support this website by becoming a > Gold Supporting Member <

Attachments:
IMG_3108 (1).jpg    10.1 KB
IMG_3108 (1).jpg

Brightguy Avatar
Brightguy David Sippola
Lawrenceburg, IN, USA   USA
1976 MG MGB MkIII "TBD"
You might try heating the aluminum which should expand somewhat more than the steel. More than likely you're going to have to very carefully, with a not very wide, but thin chisel, try to create a gap between the remaining outer seal housing and the inner boss of the transmission seal surface. I would try to select an area of the remains of the seal that has a larger chunk protruding and try to use a hammer and said punch with an abundance of caution. Once you get a gap I would try to replace the chisel with another rounder less damaging implement.

BumbleB74 Avatar
BumbleB74 William Milholen
Tidewater, Tidewater VA, USA   USA
ouch....you got some prying and trying work left to do. The replacement will not have all that metal backing, and will go in pretty easy.

1974-1/2 Roadster, "Bumble Bee", Corvette Yellow - in shambles, wire wheels
1976 Roadster, "Virus", Sandglow - "driver" condition (stock + 32/36 Weber DGEV, cast iron header, 25D distributor), bolt on wheels, ON the road!

To add your reply, or post your own questions

Registration is FREE and takes less than a minute!

Having trouble posting or changing forum settings?
Read the Forum Help (FAQ) or contact the webmaster