AutoShrine Sponsor
AutoShrine Sponsor
AutoShrine Sponsor
AutoShrine Sponsor

Panheaddave Avatar
Panheaddave Dave Prescott
Manor Lakes, Victoria, Australia   AUS
Hi all.

The x2 6 volt batteries have expired. I went to a few local battery shops and they wanted $600 for x2 6 volts!

I asked if they had a group 26 size 12 volt and they looked at me with blank expressions so I Gave them the sizing and response was no such size exists.

Just wondering who in Oz has replaced with a single 12v and which batt did you use?

Cheers.

. Hide banner ads & support this website by becoming a > Gold Supporting Member <
sweep Avatar
sweep Gold Member Chris W
Gosford, NSW, Australia   AUS
1966 MG MGB "Basil"
2013 Volkswagen Tiguan
2015 Audi A3
Take a few measurements of the 'hole' and then head off to your battery store of choice with your tape measure and find one with the correct way around terminals and a suitable size. That's what I did - twice now. Easy peasy.

I've got the invoice from Repco for the first one somewhere and I took a pic of it years ago and it's on the net somewhere but it'll take me some time to track it down - if you really want me to. But, honestly it's not hard. My second one IIRC came from Battery World.

In reply to # 3887663 by Panheaddave Hi all.

The x2 6 volt batteries have expired. I went to a few local battery shops and they wanted $600 for x2 6 volts!

I asked if they had a group 26 size 12 volt and they looked at me with blank expressions so I Gave them the sizing and response was no such size exists.

Just wondering who in Oz has replaced with a single 12v and which batt did you use?

Cheers.

The secret to creativity is knowing how to hide your sources.

To the intelligent person, life appears infinitely mysterious, but the stupid have an answer for everything.

Day Dreamers, don't discourage them. That's where original thought comes from.

Panheaddave Avatar
Thanks for that.

The guy from battery world said it was impossible to do, he said that some of the electrics ran 12 volt and the others ran 6 volt in the 68 so you have to use the 6 volts, i nearly fell over laughing so battery world is out as an option to buy from.

I did measure the 6 volt batts and could not find anything in 12 volt the same. I will measure the hole and see what i can find.

In reply to # 3887669 by sweep Take a few measurements of the 'hole' and then head off to your battery store of choice with your tape measure and find one with the correct way around terminals and a suitable size. That's what I did - twice now. Easy peasy.

I've got the invoice from Repco for the first one somewhere and I took a pic of it years ago and it's on the net somewhere but it'll take me some time to track it down - if you really want me to. But, honestly it's not hard. My second one IIRC came from Battery World.

In reply to # 3887663 by Panheaddave Hi all.

Cheers.

. Hide banner ads & support this website by becoming a > Gold Supporting Member <
sweep Avatar
1966 MG MGB "Basil"
2013 Volkswagen Tiguan
2015 Audi A3
Yes there are some dickheads around. Don't know, so I'll just make it up.

Found the reciipt from Repco. I'll email it to you.

To the intelligent person, life appears infinitely mysterious, but the stupid have an answer for everything.

Panheaddave Avatar
Thanks mate appreciate it.

ingoldsb Avatar
ingoldsb Silver Member Terry Ingoldsby
Calgary, AB, Canada   CAN
1971 MG MGB
I had a few minutes and did some searching for you. I think what you want is a DIN44L

https://www.centurybatteries.com.au/resources/battery-finder/product/battery/din44l%20mf/info

Check that out and see if it would fit. The length and width are the same as Group 26 (or really close) and it isn't quite as tall.

Terry Ingoldsby
terry.ingoldsby@DCExperts.com

Rod H. Avatar
Amity, OR, USA   USA
1964 MG MGB
1968 MG MGB GT
Dave, according to a chart I found a group 26 battery should be 208mm by 173mm by 197mm.

I'm guessing the last measurement is height.

I can't understand why people are frightened of new ideas. I'm frightened of the old ones. John Cage

'63 MGB
'68 MGBGT
'80 VW Vanagon Kombi
'09 Mazda 3 with 5 speed manual

Panheaddave Avatar
Thanks for all the suggestions,

Got hold of one from Repco.

Cheers

Fairfield, CA, USA   USA
measure the BOTTOM of the battery hole as the frame is tapered some. Insofar as the terminal position, you can adjust the cables to suit.

1973 Pale Primrose Roadster. A nice 10-footer!
SUs, Datsun 5-speed

Nicecar Avatar
Nicecar Gary (ex "Harv") G
Victoria, BC, Canada   CAN
1980 MG MGB "Red On Red On Red"
It really bothers me when some-one who should know, spouts real BS with real authority.

ingoldsb Avatar
ingoldsb Silver Member Terry Ingoldsby
Calgary, AB, Canada   CAN
1971 MG MGB
Quote: Got hold of one from Repco.

For the benefit of others, what was the part number? That will help other Australians.

Terry Ingoldsby
terry.ingoldsby@DCExperts.com

MGB567 Avatar
MGB567 Gold Member Barrie Braxton
Sunshine Coast, Queensland, Australia   AUS
1966 MG MGB MkI "Money Guzzler"
1979 MG MGB GT V8 Conversion "Darkside"
A simple search would reveal this. FWIW I'm not sure of the advice RACQ gave me; I had difficulty finding their suggestion. While those that are mentioned further below in the link do fit easily as I've altered my cabling I had to return the recommended and then match my old one to a new one as I didn't really want to fiddle in the battery tray or alter my tie down.

Convertible: CKD 11/66 first registered 8/5/67. Owned since 3/77. 90% original sheet metal. 18GB +40 balanced with almost all new internals. Peter Burgess big valve fast road head. Piper 285. Fidanza FW. Basil's followers and pushrods. TR7clutch. TT exhaust. ARP everywhere. 123 ign. Needham 4synchro c/r box.. Stock rebuilt/replaced suspension. Superpro bushes. New brakes all round including all pipes in SS flex. Interior redone. CAMS approved roll bar and side bars. Lots more. Hybrid of o/e and show/fast road car. Not for sale - it's my toy!

GT: UK car built/sold December '78. Stripped back to bare shell with VW Golf flared guards, flush fit front and rear valances with front guards immovable. Front and rear seams removed,Torana XU1 vents, frenched indicators front & Mk1 rear lights. Powered by 'worked' Rover 5 litre V8 (ex TVR Chimaera) with efi. T5 box. FC IFS. CCE rear attached to Salisbury axle with Quaife. All new interior with MrMikes covers on MX5 seats. Retro4 7x15 rims (zero offset) and 205/55 rubber. Colour: Jaguar Storm. Not for sale - it's my sanity!

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 2019-02-08 06:23 AM by MGB567.

melbaver Avatar
melbaver Gold Member Chris Howells
Carrington, NSW, Australia   AUS
1968 MG MGB "Moneypit"
2012 Dodge Journey "Another Shopping Trolley"
Go to Battery World and get this Amaron battery. 390 CCA if I remember correctly.
\
As you can see it fits into a battery box nicely.

Chris Howells

1968 MGB Purchased already dis-assembled but which is largely back together so I'm a lot less ignorant.

Attachments:
AMARON BATTERY.JPG    31.5 KB
AMARON BATTERY.JPG

sweep Avatar
1966 MG MGB "Basil"
2013 Volkswagen Tiguan
2015 Audi A3
This is a copy of the Repco receipt I sent Dave. Presumably he took the receipt or the details to Repco and purchased a similar battery.

Probably didn't want to post what I'd emailed him.

Attachments:
Battery receipt.jpg    37.6 KB
Battery receipt.jpg

OzDave Avatar
OzDave Silver Member Dave Barton
London, ON, Canada   CAN
Dave,

I have used the Odyssey PC925T since 2002. Its a SLAB and while a bit more expensive to buy, it isn't in terms of through life cost. The first one lasted until 2014 grinning smiley I bought it at Battery World in Melbourne. Unfortunately, seems like the bloke you spoke with in Battery World was a d***head. There are several shops around I think, so I wouldn't rule out Battery World based on this one knober. You also may be able to find the Odyssey elsewhere.

I bought a second one in the UK in 2014 and its still going strong. I consider this to be one of the best battery options for our cars. I first put it in the battery box though years ago I moved it into the engine bay. If you have Rick Astley's MGB Electrical Systems, my car is on Page 52 where he talks about under bonnet location.

Attachments:
mgb-.jpg    66.2 KB
mgb-.jpg

To add your reply, or post your own questions

Registration is FREE and takes less than a minute!

Having trouble posting or changing forum settings?
Read the Forum Help (FAQ) or contact the webmaster