AutoShrine Sponsor
AutoShrine Sponsor
AutoShrine Sponsor

MGB567 Avatar
MGB567 Gold Member Barrie Braxton
Sunshine Coast, Queensland, Australia   AUS
1966 MG MGB MkI "Money Guzzler"
1979 MG MGB GT V8 Conversion "Darkside"
"If you have Rick Astley's MGB Electrical Systems, my car is on Page 52 where he talks about under bonnet location."

P54 in mine but that's being a pedant on my part. smiling smiley

Convertible: CKD 11/66 first registered 8/5/67. Owned since 3/77. 90% original sheet metal. 18GB +40 balanced with almost all new internals. Peter Burgess big valve fast road head. Piper 285. Fidanza FW. Basil's followers and pushrods. TR7clutch. TT exhaust. ARP everywhere. 123 ign. Needham 4synchro c/r box.. Stock rebuilt/replaced suspension. Superpro bushes. New brakes all round including all pipes in SS flex. Interior redone. CAMS approved roll bar and side bars. Lots more. Hybrid of o/e and show/fast road car. Not for sale - it's my toy!

GT: UK car built/sold December '78. Stripped back to bare shell with VW Golf flared guards, flush fit front and rear valances with front guards immovable. Front and rear seams removed,Torana XU1 vents, frenched indicators front & Mk1 rear lights. Powered by 'worked' Rover 5 litre V8 (ex TVR Chimaera) with efi. T5 box. FC IFS. CCE rear attached to Salisbury axle with Quaife. All new interior with MrMikes covers on MX5 seats. Retro4 7x15 rims (zero offset) and 205/55 rubber. Colour: Jaguar Storm. Not for sale - it's my sanity!

. Hide this ad & support a small business by becoming a Gold Supporting Member
Was this post helpful or interesting?
Yes No Thank
OzDave Avatar
OzDave Silver Member Dave Barton
London, ON, Canada   CAN
LOL. Sharp eye Bazza grinning smiley I think mine is the later version, printed about two years after the first one in 2006. I got to know Rick when I lived in Detroit for three years and had the car there. Top bloke and certainly the main man on MGB electrics in my mind.

Hope your nice and warm. I'm looking out the window at a snow storm. smileys with beer

Yes No Thank
MGB567 Avatar
yes it's warm but have you seen the rain in Townsville etc?

Convertible: CKD 11/66 first registered 8/5/67. Owned since 3/77. 90% original sheet metal. 18GB +40 balanced with almost all new internals. Peter Burgess big valve fast road head. Piper 285. Fidanza FW. Basil's followers and pushrods. TR7clutch. TT exhaust. ARP everywhere. 123 ign. Needham 4synchro c/r box.. Stock rebuilt/replaced suspension. Superpro bushes. New brakes all round including all pipes in SS flex. Interior redone. CAMS approved roll bar and side bars. Lots more. Hybrid of o/e and show/fast road car. Not for sale - it's my toy!

GT: UK car built/sold December '78. Stripped back to bare shell with VW Golf flared guards, flush fit front and rear valances with front guards immovable. Front and rear seams removed,Torana XU1 vents, frenched indicators front & Mk1 rear lights. Powered by 'worked' Rover 5 litre V8 (ex TVR Chimaera) with efi. T5 box. FC IFS. CCE rear attached to Salisbury axle with Quaife. All new interior with MrMikes covers on MX5 seats. Retro4 7x15 rims (zero offset) and 205/55 rubber. Colour: Jaguar Storm. Not for sale - it's my sanity!

Yes No Thank
little G Avatar
little G Charlie T
queensland, QLD, Australia   AUS
1964 MG MGB "Little G"
It's also on P54 in mine ...the new colour one ..maybe because of the continual re-printing ..it seems the latest being 2016 .not that any of that matters ..it is still there for reference ..

Any way ...Dave...it is even hard to determine in the Astley's pic ....does your battery intrude into the penetration of the side wall ?...if so , did you just canterlever the base plate for the battery into there slightly ?

In reply to # 3888245 by OzDave LOL. Sharp eye Bazza grinning smiley I think mine is the later version, printed about two years after the first one in 2006. I got to know Rick when I lived in Detroit for three years and had the car there. Top bloke and certainly the main man on MGB electrics in my mind.

Hope your nice and warm. I'm looking out the window at a snow storm. smileys with beer

Yes No Thank
sweep Avatar
sweep Gold Member Chris W
Gosford, NSW, Australia   AUS
1966 MG MGB "Basil"
2013 Volkswagen Tiguan
2015 Audi A3
I don't have the book. Apart from the obvious deletion of the long cable and the ease of access, is there any other advantages mentioned?

The secret to creativity is knowing how to hide your sources.

To the intelligent person, life appears infinitely mysterious, but the stupid have an answer for everything.

Day Dreamers, don't discourage them. That's where original thought comes from.

Yes No Thank
OzDave Avatar
OzDave Silver Member Dave Barton
London, ON, Canada   CAN
G'Day Gents,

Chris
I tried to scan my book but couldn't compress it enough to get it all without totally breaking the spine. Anyway, to answer your question, I keyed in the exact words from Rick's book:

"Under Bonnet Battery Location
It was stated earlier that the rear location of the MGB’s battery results in a number of disadvantages.

1. The long cable length from the battery to the starter motor induces voltage drop that limits the starters cranking efficiency.

2. Wind chill takes away the effects of the battery’s self-heating and it cannot benefit from the elevated under-bonnet temperature. These disadvantages reduce its energy capacity, its ability to accept charge and the available power when supplying energy.

3. Attaching a battery charger is time consuming.

The obvious solution is to put the battery under the bonnet where most would say it belongs, …"

Hope that answers your question. To add to point three, its also easier when getting jumped (or in my case, when giving one LOL). I'm a big fan of the Odyssey. Last week it was -25C here and my big, mongrel Mazda CX-9 wouldn't turn over. Took the MG's battery off the shelf where it has been sitting for two years (car is in pieces, I'm doing a ground-up resto),hooked up the jumper cables and the Mazda started up in a flash.

Charlie,
I had space in that spot. No, the battery doesn't going into the wall. The only mod I did was to drill a hole in the side of the wall below the opening to hook the tie down rod on that side. Sorry I can't nip out and take a better photo at the moment - nothing is assembled. When I was crashed into three years ago from behind at 60kph and driven into the car in front, the MG was severely damaged but the battery didn't move at all. Nonetheless, I will probably improve the mounting a bit when I start putting things back together.

Barry
Yeah, Townsville made the news here. I know the place from my Army days. My wife flew into Melbourne yesterday and headed for her sister's place in country VIC …. not far from Hepburn Springs. Fortunately the fire warnings have been downgraded. No shortage of cataclysmic weather events around the planet yeah?

Yes No Thank
Panheaddave Avatar
Panheaddave Dave Prescott
Manor Lakes, Victoria, Australia   AUS
OK so Repco battery, Red heavy duty 12 volt.
Part #NS40ZLS-RED.

Fitted no problem and Molly has never started so easy. $118.80

Yes No Thank
davcar Avatar
davcar Silver Member David Carter
HERVEY BAY, Queensland, Australia   AUS
1969 MG MGB "Peggy-Sue"
1998 MG MGF "Lucy"
This is the only battery you'll ever need for MGB in Australia...!!! thumbs up

https://www.centurybatteries.com.au/resources/battery-finder/product/battery/ns40zsx%20mf/info

“Stupid is a condition. Ignorance is a choice.”
Wiley Miller

MGCCQ Wide Bay Chapter Member

Yes No Thank
MGB567 Avatar
In reply to # 3888949 by davcar This is the only battery you'll ever need for MGB in Australia...!!! thumbs up

See #12 (but your choice only works if you've stayed with a stock system as I explained).

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2019-02-10 04:18 AM by MGB567.

Yes No Thank
modern gentleman Avatar
modern gentleman NEIL MILLS
Brisbane, Ormiston, Australia   AUS
1967 MG MGB GT "Cafe Racer"
Here's another alternative in Australia

Century NS40ZSX MF

410 cold cranking amps

36 month warranty

Supercheap Auto are presently having a sale on Century Batteries

Yes No Thank
davcar Avatar
davcar Silver Member David Carter
HERVEY BAY, Queensland, Australia   AUS
1969 MG MGB "Peggy-Sue"
1998 MG MGF "Lucy"
In reply to # 3888966 by modern gentleman Here's another alternative in Australia

Century NS40ZSX MF

410 cold cranking amps

36 month warranty

Supercheap Auto are presently having a sale on Century Batteries

As per my post #23

“Stupid is a condition. Ignorance is a choice.”
Wiley Miller

MGCCQ Wide Bay Chapter Member

Yes No Thank
lincam angelo camilleri
kalkara, malta, Malta   MLT
Carts 40amps Will fit exactly in one place of a 6 volts battery but without a box tray.

Yes No Thank
sunnyboy Avatar
sunnyboy Richard Huntrods
Ladysmith, BC, Canada   CAN
In reply to # 3887754 by Nicecar It really bothers me when some-one who should know, spouts real BS with real authority.

Why would a shop monkey be expected to know anything? Last week they were selling phones in the mall. Next week they'll be selling printer ink cartridges in a different mall. This week they're selling auto parts.

Yes No Thank
suter Chris K
Launceston, Tas, Australia   AUS
Good day,

I replaced my battery with a Marshall X40DMF back in 2016 cost me $111.00. Had to change the clamps. easy done though

Cheers

Yes No Thank
sweep Avatar
sweep Gold Member Chris W
Gosford, NSW, Australia   AUS
1966 MG MGB "Basil"
2013 Volkswagen Tiguan
2015 Audi A3
That's true, BUT, if they don't know - and this guy clearly didn't - DON'T MAKE IT UP!

In reply to # 3889160 by sunnyboy
In reply to # 3887754 by Nicecar It really bothers me when some-one who should know, spouts real BS with real authority.

Why would a shop monkey be expected to know anything? Last week they were selling phones in the mall. Next week they'll be selling printer ink cartridges in a different mall. This week they're selling auto parts.

The secret to creativity is knowing how to hide your sources.

To the intelligent person, life appears infinitely mysterious, but the stupid have an answer for everything.

Day Dreamers, don't discourage them. That's where original thought comes from.

Yes No Thank

To add your reply, or post your own questions

Registration is FREE and takes less than a minute!

Having trouble posting or changing forum settings?
Read the Forum Help (FAQ) or contact the webmaster

Join The Club

Sign in to ask questions, share photos, and access all website features

Your Cars

1970 MG MGB GT Racecar

Text Size

Larger Smaller
Reset Save

Sponsor Links