AutoShrine Sponsor
AutoShrine Sponsor
AutoShrine Sponsor

tnmcleod Avatar
tnmcleod Silver Member Thomas McLeod
Sharpsburg, MD, USA   USA
1962 MG MGA MkII "Jane"
For your entertainment.....
I purchased my '62 about a year and a half ago as a 'not running' project. During the winter of 17/18 I replaced all the brakes from the MC to all 4 corners; everything that fluid touches as well as front rotors, resurfaced drums, shoes and pads. I completely rebuilt the front suspension and many other basic safety systems. I repaired the speedometer and tach, parking brake mechanism and a whole bunch of little and not so little things all over the car. Subsequently, I put about 1500 miles on it last summer - permanent grin. This winter was time to do the rear suspension, fuel tank straps, fuel gauge sending unit rebuild and install some of the new interior kit that I purchased last fall. During the process of removing the rear springs and associated stuff, disassembly and cleaning, I discovered a broken bolt that held the LR spring together in the center as well as a bent clip holding the end of the 4th leaf. I gave the clip a whack with a hammer and it broke....damn. So, I took the unit to the local spring works and had the clip replaced ($60). I have removed and blasted the RR spring and was preparing to load the repaired LR spring in the blast cabinet and noticed that it only had 5 leaves.....supposed to be 6 )I checked with Barney). I did not lose leaf #6, it has been missing from before I bought the car. This is obvious because of the surface rust and lack of wear marks on leaf #5. I can take photos if you doubt. So, the question becomes, as I cannot (or will not) replace just one spring; what is the source of the best replacements? Grrrrrrrrrrrrrrr!!! - more delays to the 'look nice' stuff!

Thanks in advance,

Tom

. Hide this ad & support a small business by becoming a Gold Supporting Member
Was this post helpful or interesting?
Yes No Thank
EXLU3453 Avatar
EXLU3453 Colin T
Brantford, ON, Canada   CAN
A Spring shop should be able to make one leaf for you.
... CR

Yes No Thank
Grubeguy Avatar
Grubeguy Grube Guy
Washington, DC, USA   USA
I'd start with ebay and Craigslist to see if anyone is selling one that you could either use as a replacement or as a hangar queen ...

Yes No Thank
barneymg Avatar
barneymg Barney Gaylord
(Somewhere in USA), Pick one (or more), USA   USA
1958 MG MGA "MGA With An Attitude"
Petty sure there is no source for good rear springs for MGA. Story is they all come from the same single supplier, and they are incorrect configuration (mainly too tall). I tried them in the late 90's, ended up restoring and re-installing the original springs. Being too tall severely limits travel for the rebound strap, so hard cornering lifts a rear wheel and sends you into severe oversteer. If you lengthen the rebound strap you run out of travel for the rear shocks, which can damage the shocks. Rear roll center too high also messes up handling.

In mid 2016 my original springs finally gave up the ghost, and i bought new rear springs (knowing all of the above), For some time we have been touring (not competition) with two heavy guys in the seats, full load of luggage in the boot, and a trailer that puts about 50 pounds tongue load on the hitch aft of the rear bumper. With all that rear load it is still a bit too high (slightly higher than an unladen vehicle in original configuration), but we have been surviving with it.

No sense trying to measure spring force or spring rate on the old collapsed springs, but I did measure the new ones before installation. Dimension from the top of eyes to bottom of the leaf cluster assembly is ideally 5-1/16-inches. We measured this at 5-9/16, a half inch taller than spec with no load.

I stood on the inverted spring to measure partially compressed height with 220 pound load. This came to 4-1/16, or 1-1/2 compression, for spring rate of 147-lb/in, versus original spec of 125-lb/in. With design load of 450-lb the spring should deflect 3.6-in to be straight (flat) when fully loaded. With the higher spring rate 450-lb will deflect it only 3.06-in. This will leave it 0.54-in too high, to which we add the 1/2-in excess free height, so in assembly it would sit 1.04-in too high. This is exactly what other people have been reporting for years, sitting 1-inch too high.

These springs have been in daily service for 2-1/2 years, 97,000 miles, and they have not "settled in" and likely never will. You could buy new ones and have a spring shop de-arch them. That could get you to a height you like, but would not fix the too-stiff spring rate. Re-arching used springs may be a lost cause. Having a spring shop make two new springs to original spec would likely be prohibitively expensive. I would much prefer correct standard height springs with original spring rate, but until the day that someone might do another production run with correct spec's, I ain't holdin' my breath waiting.

So there is no good news, but at least we have the facts to help guide our next decision.

Barney Gaylord - 1958 MGA with an attitude - http://MGAguru.com - barneymg@mgaguru.com
(Please email me direct, do not leave a PM on the public server).

+1 Yes No Thank
3066james Avatar
3066james Gold Member Jim Cheatham
Amelia, VA, USA   USA
Tom,
I found a pair of original leaf springs on eBay and restored them. I used a bench vice to re-bend the clips rather than a hammer. I found a local supplier of Delrin in sheet stock that I cut in strips and used as leaf liners between each leaf. You can see the ends of the Delrin liners in the last picture.

Jim

Attachments:
Original leaf springs taken apart for cleaning and painting.JPG    45.7 KB
Original leaf springs taken apart for cleaning and painting.JPG

005.JPG    42.7 KB
Sign In or Register to view this photo
007.JPG    30.3 KB
Original springs restored.JPG    56.4 KB
Yes No Thank
tnmcleod Avatar
1962 MG MGA MkII "Jane"
Thanks all,
I think the best will be to replace both with a used pair from the same donor car. Second choice will be to replace with an original #6 leaf and third to replace the complete left side spring with a used one.
All of this is after taking into account the good advice from the experts on this site. the search is on.

Thanks again guys,

Tom

Yes No Thank
wyatt Avatar
wyatt Silver Member Wyatt W
penguin point, drift ice, Antarctica   ATA
I answered your post on BST...

Yes No Thank
tnmcleod Avatar
1962 MG MGA MkII "Jane"
Thanks, Wyatt. Working on multiple fronts.

Tom

Yes No Thank
mgbgtn tom newman
Campbell River, BC, Canada   CAN
Just rebuilding a ground up on my 58 and found 6 leaves on the right side and 7 on the left?

Yes No Thank
ozieagle Avatar
ozieagle Gold Member Herb Adler
Geelong Victoria, Australia   AUS
1958 Wolseley 1500 "Wooly"
1966 MG MGB "Bl**dy B"
Maybe a PO's attempt to overcome bachelor's lean.

Herb

Questions about prostate cancer? Click here to join the discussion

Yes No Thank
RoyS Avatar
RoyS Roy Sperbeck
deptford, NJ, USA   USA
Well back in the 1970s working on MGs we use to switch springs all the time ,drivers side would get wear and we would add a spring like take out the third one and put 2 same side springs in

Yes No Thank

To add your reply, or post your own questions

Registration is FREE and takes less than a minute!

Having trouble posting or changing forum settings?
Read the Forum Help (FAQ) or contact the webmaster