AutoShrine Sponsor
AutoShrine Sponsor
AutoShrine Sponsor
AutoShrine Sponsor

69gt6stopp Avatar
69gt6stopp Paul Stopp
Richmond, BC, Canada   CAN
Hi ET, looking good.
Just a thought, is it possible to pull down the back board a little and use wood glue with tacks to secure the bottom contour to the plywood tack strips? Also notice your old seat back bottoms, make sure to use stainless steel staples to secure for this time.
Regards,
Paul

. Hide banner ads & support this website by becoming a > Gold Supporting Member <
watsonrx13 Rob Watson
Plant City, FL, USA   USA
1960 MG MGA
ET, thanks for the info and pics.

Tbird Avatar
Tbird ET Taylor
Land O Sky, NC, USA   USA
Paul - not really possible to pull the board down that far. In my pic at the bottom the dark line past the top of the board is not a shadow but the painted top rail peeking through (end with the binder clip - pic is upside down). Pulling it down would put the board below or maybe just at the bottom of the metal top rail.

One of the fellows on Barney's site had a solution.

thumbs up on the staples - sad story behind that but you're right.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2019-02-01 08:30 AM by Tbird.

. Hide banner ads & support this website by becoming a > Gold Supporting Member <

Attachments:
DSC07399.JPG    52 KB
DSC07399.JPG

Bandersnatch Avatar
Bandersnatch Larry Wheeler
Hillsboro, OR, USA   USA
1957 MG MGA "Rosie 2"
I initially tried regular duct tape to hold the back to the frame but found most of it pulled loose after leaving overnight. The answer - Gorilla tape! It held so well I left it on.

Four years later it still seems to be holding. Either that or the backing has now molded itself and the cover keeps it in place.

Either way, a win.

Best of luck,
Larry

Do you know why the British don't make computers? They can't figure out how to make them leak oil!

Tbird Avatar
Tbird ET Taylor
SOLD !!

No - not the car or the seats - tongue sticking out smiley

Sold on Gorilla tape - thanks for the tip Larry.
I had decided the tape method was what I would use and had started with some heavy duty duct tape I had on hand.
As you can see in the first pic the bucket trick I used this summer on the back boards bowed them a little too much in the center.
(plus you'll notice a little plug for the parts supplier - heh heh)
Even after a second wetting and drying over night with a clamp they were still not flat enough for me.
Removed the wood tack strip and taped it down - that'll work.
(second pic)

Will pick up some Gorilla tape.

Installed a leather cover as a test fit with no padding.
Yikes - it was really tight.
The third pic is at the top of the seat and shows how much of the vinyl back will need to be pulled down to have the seam or pleat align with the frame.
(and I'm still worried about aligning those dang front seams - eye rolling smiley )
Ok - the covers are at least 4 years old plus I bought them second hand so they could have been a year or two old when I bought them.
Not faulting the supplier - they have just drawn up from sitting and will need a lot of heat and stretching.
At least I hope that's all they need.
Yep - I double checked to be sure I had the right cover on the right frame.
May have to make a contraption to stretch them a little before installing.
(and the fact that it's just barely been above freezing around here the past few days doesn't help).

May try and test fit a cloth cover this evening if I get the tape.

Attachments:
DSC07413m.jpg    27.7 KB
DSC07413m.jpg

DSC07416m.jpg    29.7 KB
Sign In or Register to view this photo
DSC07426m.jpg    32 KB
69gt6stopp Avatar
69gt6stopp Paul Stopp
Hi ET,
Perhaps I can offer two tips that might help you get that cover on properly; Use a hair dryer or heat gun to warm up the fabric and make it more supple, do not get it too hot, or get a large polythene bag, like a bin liner or garbage bag, not too thick and cut up one side and pull it over the frame, then pull on your seat cover. The the poly is slippery and reduces the friction, the cut side allows you to pull it out once the cover is on. This is a trick they used on assembly at the factory to stretch the upholstery on when new, as you want it to remain nice and tight.
Hope this helps,
Regards,
Paul

Rob Z Avatar
Rob Z Silver Member Rob Zucca
Camarillo, CA, USA   USA
1960 MG MGA
If you’re going to use heat, use steam.

"Time flies like an arrow......Fruit flies like a banana"

bobs77vet Avatar
bobs77vet bob K.
northern Va, VA, USA   USA
use time to your advantage.....pull them on and let them sit over night then pull a little more and let them sit. the thing you don't want to do is rip the stitching. my NOS seat leathers were 30 yrs old I took a month or so to stretch the in place. I even used some weights to help the process.

just go slow

66ejag Edward Suplick
Longwood FL, USA   USA
Used plastic ties for backboard after drilling small holes. Clipped off excess and left them on.

Tbird Avatar
Tbird ET Taylor
Slow - but a little progress.

Settled on the Gorilla tape method to attach the back board to the frame.

Cut out the back foam with my good old electric carving knife (that knife has to be 35 years old).
Not using the rubberized horse hair - guess we'll see if that's a good idea or not.

Thought about using a second piece of 2 inch foam for the lumbar but it was way too much. Was surprised how little it took to make a nice lumbar support and settled on a piece of dense foam between the struts. It will get glued to the back of the larger piece of foam rather than the struts or back board.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2019-02-09 07:10 PM by Tbird.

Attachments:
DSC07455m.jpg    18.6 KB
DSC07455m.jpg

DSC07428m.jpg    18.5 KB
DSC07440m.jpg    19.1 KB
DSC07443m.jpg    39.3 KB
Tbird Avatar
Tbird ET Taylor
This will be for my cloth seat backs.

Here's what the foam looks like with the lumbar support glued on and the jute padding also glued on the front.

Then installed in the frame.

The rest of the jute padding wrapped around the frame and back board but not yet glued down.
I can see the curved areas around the top will be "fun".
Right now I just have it pinned to get a plan together.

Cut one piece of foam for the back too small and didn't have enough to make a new one for the leather set - have the two for the cloth set but just one for the leather. I could glue the piece back on and re-cut but I might chicken out and take the leather backs to a local upholstery shop and get a quote on him installing them.
I'll see how the cloth ones turn out.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2019-02-09 07:50 PM by Tbird.

Attachments:
DSC07453m.jpg    16.4 KB
DSC07453m.jpg

DSC07461m.jpg    25.8 KB
DSC07463m.jpg    45.5 KB
69gt6stopp Avatar
69gt6stopp Paul Stopp
Hi ET,

Hate to tell you this but you will need to clean up the seat squab, (seat back). That bunching and folding of that flock at the top will show through something wicked. You need to feather it out with a series of bird beak cuts and make the peripheral return a minimum, (perhaps 2"winking smiley, to follow the top contour of the seat back and sufficient to glue down.

Regards,
Paul

Tbird Avatar
Tbird ET Taylor
No problem Paul - thanks - you're right about the top edges. I had just folded them down for a bit to get a plan together on how to cut.

I like your description of the cuts as "bird beak" type. I was thinking of cutting a portion and overlapping but your description makes it easy to visualize and will eliminate the overlap I was considering. Great tip!!

May need to pick up a few clamps with a bit deeper reach to hold the fabric in place at the top while the glue sets but otherwise it's going pretty good - slow - but good.

bobs77vet Avatar
bobs77vet bob K.
northern Va, VA, USA   USA
those look good. are you going to put batting over it?

it will smooth it out and make the fabric slide over it easily.

Tbird Avatar
Tbird ET Taylor
Thanks Bob!

Don't think it will need the batting.
I did cut a piece of the grey jute to add a little fill to the area on the front and tried a piece of 1/4 fabric faced foam there but not sure it even needs that.
Pic below is how it looks after cutting off the excess - those ridges around the top edge look worse than they are.
Temporarily installed a cloth cover - will need a bunch of tugging/heat/steam especially along the edges where the piping is but should turn out fine.
Was pleasantly surprised that I could get a leather cover on it too.
The leather covers were tight on the bare frame so didn't think I'd be able to stretch them on there but using the poly bag method it finally went on.
May still take the leather covers to an upholstery shop.

Fighting a problem with the engine at the moment and haven't had much time to devote to the seats.
(looks like I'll be replacing thrust washers this weekend)

Attachments:
DSC07466m.jpg    47.2 KB
DSC07466m.jpg

To add your reply, or post your own questions

Registration is FREE and takes less than a minute!

Having trouble posting or changing forum settings?
Read the Forum Help (FAQ) or contact the webmaster