AutoShrine Sponsor
AutoShrine Sponsor
AutoShrine Sponsor
AutoShrine Sponsor

Judge Jeffs Avatar
Judge Jeffs Gold Member Bill Jeffries
Chichester, West Sussex, UK   GBR
1959 MG MGA "Maggie"
Ongoing issue on the A with wheel shimmy, which starts at 65, progressively worsens as speed increases and transmits up through the steering wheel.
I’ve had the wheels balanced for the third time today and I’ve used two different agents and machines. The one today does all our Goodwood track BMWs.
On the machine they can balance them perfectly, but I’m still getting it when driving, although somewhat better after today’s effort.
The tyres were new, good quality Vredesteins and don’t have any bulges. One wheel has very slight side to side runout, but was deemed to be fine.
Any suggestions as to what else could cause it?
Grateful for any thoughts as it’s driving me potty (er!).
Bill.
www.mgarestoration.com

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2018-09-10 12:55 PM by Judge Jeffs.

. Hide this ad & support a small business by becoming a Gold Supporting Member
Was this post helpful or interesting?
Yes No Thank
A on a shoe string Avatar
A on a shoe string Peter Stevenson
Aubusson d'Auvergne, Auvergne, France   FRA
1960 MG MGA 1600 "A"
1972 MG Midget MkIII "Midget"
Dodgy suspension joints? Or shock absorbers? I had the same problem with my 1972 Midget which turned out to be a front shock absorber which was totally shot. The car passed the MOT ‘bounce test’ but with friction in the rubber bushes and being a light car it scarcely needed any damping to pass. But at speed it became quite scary.

I found on my ‘A that the front shocks were in a bad way but it still happily passed MOTs.

Good luck, Pete

Yes No Thank
Ex Pat Avatar
Ex Pat Anthony Boothman
Barrie, ON, Canada   CAN
Rotate wheels front to back. If that eliminates the shimmy it's the wheels o

r tires. If not it's something in the steering, poss rotors or drums out of ballance.

Yes No Thank
Judge Jeffs Avatar
1959 MG MGA "Maggie"
In reply to # 3807334 by A on a shoe string Dodgy suspension joints? Or shock absorbers? I had the same problem with my 1972 Midget which turned out to be a front shock absorber which was totally shot. The car passed the MOT ‘bounce test’ but with friction in the rubber bushes and being a light car it scarcely needed any damping to pass. But at speed it became quite scary.

I found on my ‘A that the front shocks were in a bad way but it still happily passed MOTs.

Good luck, Pete

Pete,
Thanks for that. I should’ve mentioned that the complete steering and suspension, including shocks have all been replaced and only a year running on the road.
I’ve checked it all and there’s no play anywhere and shocks feel tight.
Bill.

Yes No Thank
Judge Jeffs Avatar
1959 MG MGA "Maggie"
In reply to # 3807336 by Ex Pat Rotate wheels front to back. If that eliminates the shimmy it's the wheels o

r tires. If not it's something in the steering, poss rotors or drums out of ballance.

Thanks. I have tried swapping front to back, back to front, but still shimmys. All four wheels balance ok.
I’m thinking it might be a lateral runout problem.

Yes No Thank
Blueosprey90 Avatar
Blueosprey90 Jeff Sienkiewicz
New Milford, CT, USA   USA
Go underneath and check all of the nuts and bolts for tightness.

I've had wheel shimmy from the nuts holding the A-Arm pivots coming loose. Then after doing some work on the steering rack, I also had shimmy from the bolts holding the steering rack coming loose.

Yes No Thank
ozieagle Avatar
ozieagle Gold Member Herb Adler
Geelong Victoria, Australia   AUS
1958 Wolseley 1500 "Wooly"
1966 MG MGB "Bl**dy B"
Hi Bill,

Do you have wire wheels? They are difficult to balance properly. Today's tyre places generally don't have or know how to use the special adaptors.

Attached are drawings of the special adaptors, also type "wire wheel balancing" into the search function, and lots of hits, based on MGBs.

Herb

Questions about prostate cancer? Click here to join the discussion

Attachments:
MGB cone assembly dgr 1.pdf    16.4 KB

MGB cones drg 1.pdf    20.6 KB
Sign In or Register to view this photo
Yes No Thank
DevonMG Avatar
DevonMG John Russell
Okehampton, Devon, UK   GBR
Excessive end float on wheel bearings?

Yes No Thank
Judge Jeffs Avatar
1959 MG MGA "Maggie"
Jeff, thanks for that, I’ll check, but I’ve only done 2200 miles since complete rebuild.
Herb, no, I’ve got steel wheels, but that’s useful info. In fact, even the steel wheels have much bigger radius centre holes than modern wheels and some shops don’t have adapters that fit, which can cause problems balancing.
No movement on wheel bearings, but thanks.
Bill.

Yes No Thank
ozieagle Avatar
ozieagle Gold Member Herb Adler
Geelong Victoria, Australia   AUS
1958 Wolseley 1500 "Wooly"
1966 MG MGB "Bl**dy B"
Bill,

I think that the older steel wheels also can't be balanced by the centre hole, but need to be done by the lugs. The "centre" hole isn't necessarily in the centre.

Herb

Questions about prostate cancer? Click here to join the discussion

Yes No Thank
Judge Jeffs Avatar
1959 MG MGA "Maggie"
Herb, that’s an interesting point that I’ve not heard before. I don’t know anywhere with a machine here that uses the bolt holes.
I remember back in the late 60’s early 70’s at the Ford dealership I worked at, we used to balance wheels on the car, using a machine that spun the wheel up with a roller and if I recall right, used a strobe light.
Out of interest I’ll try and accurately measure the centring of the hole.
Bill.

Yes No Thank
Jeffs72MGB Avatar
Jeffs72MGB Jeff Strong
Eden, NY, USA   USA
Bill,
What Herb said is true. I come from the B side more and I know this it true with the rostyle wheels used on Bs. I hope this link to a video will help. Jeff

Introduction to Hub And Lug Centric Balancing Techniques

Yes No Thank
JimNH Avatar
JimNH Jim Mail
Nashua, New Hampshire, USA   USA
1957 MG MGA "Camilla (the Other Woman)"
the spec for alignment is zero degrees toe in - both wheels straight ahead. I find that a very small bit of toe in is desirable, however - and makes the car handle better (less "skittish"winking smiley at speed.

Other than that, and assuming it's not the wheel balancing or the tires themselves, I would guess something has been mis-assembled during the rebuild.

Do you have anohter MGA close by that you can do a side-by-side comparison with?

HOw about borrowing the other guys' wheels and tires to see if that solves it? Do your wheels on his car create a shimmy?

JIM in NH

Yes No Thank
Redhawk1689 Avatar
Redhawk1689 Gold Member Steven Stockham
Salina, KS, USA   USA
1958 MG MGA 1500 "Belle"
Do you know anyone else that has wire wheels near you? If so, (I know this would be asking a lot) you might try swapping all wheels and see if that solves the problem. At least then you would know it is the wheels or that it isn't! With knock-offs, this little experiment shouldn't take more than an hour or two at most.

Yes No Thank
Judge Jeffs Avatar
1959 MG MGA "Maggie"
In reply to # 3807695 by Jeffs72MGB Bill,
What Herb said is true. I come from the B side more and I know this it true with the rostyle wheels used on Bs. I hope this link to a video will help. Jeff

Introduction to Hub And Lug Centric Balancing Techniques

Jeff,
Thanks for that, very interesting and something I’ll check out at the tyre shop I use.
Bill.

Yes No Thank

To add your reply, or post your own questions

Registration is FREE and takes less than a minute!

Having trouble posting or changing forum settings?
Read the Forum Help (FAQ) or contact the webmaster