AutoShrine Sponsor
AutoShrine Sponsor
AutoShrine Sponsor

rockhigher Avatar
rockhigher Geoff B
Atkinson, NH, USA   USA
1956 MG MGA
1984 Chevrolet Corvette "Goldilocks"
Ok, now I am a bit confused, is the valance suppose to have an opening....? Simply don't remember that from the original I ripped off months ago.....is an opening supposed to help cooling the engine….?

Cheers,

Geoff

. Hide banner ads & support this website by becoming a > Gold Supporting Member <
rockhigher Avatar
rockhigher Geoff B
Atkinson, NH, USA   USA
1956 MG MGA
Hmmmmm, never heard of this before...…???

http://crimespace.ning.com/profiles/blogs/the-girl-in-the-mga-now-available-on-kindle

Cheers,

Geoff

mgpatje Avatar
mgpatje Pat W
Heerlen, Limburg, Netherlands   NLD
1959 MG MGA 1600
1960 MG MGA 1600 "Marie"
1969 MG MGC "Margret"
1977 Jaguar XJ6 Series 2
Put project 2 in the epoxy today. Hope we can put some paint on it next week.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2019-02-09 10:49 AM by mgpatje.

. Hide banner ads & support this website by becoming a > Gold Supporting Member <

Attachments:
20190209_160808.jpg    40.6 KB
20190209_160808.jpg

RJBrown Avatar
RJBrown Randy Brown
Queen Creek, AZ, USA   USA
In reply to # 3888496 by rockhigher Ok, now I am a bit confused, is the valance suppose to have an opening....? Simply don't remember that from the original I ripped off months ago.....is an opening supposed to help cooling the engine….?

Cheers,

Geoff

Originally there was no need for this opening.
If you choose to put the oil cooler under the radiator shelf where it will do some good then you need a hole.
The original position is a waste of time. Without increasing airflow adding the oil cooler won’t change the ability to cool. The cooling in the MGA is limited by the amount of air that can flow through the grill opening and radiator.

rockhigher Avatar
rockhigher Geoff B
Atkinson, NH, USA   USA
1956 MG MGA
Thanks Randy,

Ok got it. Since I never had an oil cooler before not sure I will add one at this juncture....getting to the point where I just want this damn thing done lol....thanks for your tips !!

Cheers,

Geoff

DirkR Avatar
DirkR Silver Member Dirk Rosenbaum
Boise, ID, USA   USA
Give some serious thought to adding an oil cooler. When I put my A back on the road, I added a cooler on top of the radiator shelf ( just cause I could - not to fix a particular problem ). The engine temp climbed rapidly to over 190 each and every time I drove the car and often to the pin on the gauge. I also have a fan shroud with minimal gaps and proper air hoses for the carbs and heater and the engine is properly tuned. So after driving it all spring, I decided to to remove the cooler to see if it was restricting the air flow to and through the radiator (new). Immediately the driving temp dropped to 170/180 and rarely exceedes 190. I'm sure others have different experiences, but thought I would share mine. P. S. I am not interested in going below the radiator shelf with a cooler but it might be better in some ways.

vdubmga Avatar
vdubmga v wasem
46N1165W, WA, USA   USA
1924 Other Not Listed "1924 Cat 2-ton"
1961 MG MGA 1600
1967 MG MGB GT
My engine is all stock except for the electronic ignition. During the summer I will typically drive in 90 to 100 F weather in mountains and my engine stays right at 180 or 190. No shroud, no oil cooler, or anything else I can think of. Of course, I'm not racing. Its just pleasure driving. I don't get much above 60 mph at any time.

Jcook3mga Avatar
Jcook3mga Joe Cook
Ruxton, MD, USA   USA
1959 MG MGA
VDubmga,same here.

vdubmga Avatar
vdubmga v wasem
46N1165W, WA, USA   USA
1924 Other Not Listed "1924 Cat 2-ton"
1961 MG MGA 1600
1967 MG MGB GT
rockhigher Avatar
rockhigher Geoff B
Atkinson, NH, USA   USA
1956 MG MGA
Not in mood for buying the paperback either lol...some great thoughts about oil coolers though too.....

Cheers,

Geoff

RJBrown Avatar
RJBrown Randy Brown
My 57 has a 82 RX7 engine that has been massaged a little. It produces about 200 hp and lots of heat. When first installed it had a custom (thicker) radiator core and a Mazda oil cooler behind the radiator. There was one electric cooling fan on the front of the radiator. It ran so hot that it ruined that engine.
On the journey to get the second engine to run cool I added.
A foam pad on the radiator to replace the original pad that was glued to the hood. It is longer and seals better.
A second radiator fan on the rear of the radiator. Mounting one left and one to the right to cover the whole radiator.
A rubber cap meant for black ABS sewer pipe to the left side air hole. Right side was blocked by the heater.
I finally bit the bullet and cut a hole in the valance, removed the bumper and moved the oil cooler to the bottom of the radiator shelf.
Cooling problem fixed.
Just a rough hole in the original metal valance as a temporary fix. I saved the part cut out if I ever wanted to repair the valance. I bought a Moss “racing” valance and left it with my body/paint guy to modify while he was painting the black car. Never got it back.
Oil coolers are great. Unless mounted where MG did on our As. Mounted there they were a sales gimmick, non functional but good sounding idea. Kind of like rear disk brakes on modern cars.
In the second picture you can see the rubber plug over the air vent and the foam pad covered in duct tape on the radiator.
The third picture shows the foam that completes the seal to the top of the radiator. As you can see there is a much bigger area than the original pad kind of blocked. I think the original pad is totally ineffective. I left it off my MK11 and it has no heating issues even in the summer here in the Phoenix area.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2019-02-10 10:53 AM by RJBrown.

Attachments:
image.jpg    45.6 KB
image.jpg

image.jpg    37.8 KB
Sign In or Register to view this photo
image.jpg    25.6 KB
Sign In or Register to view this photo
69gt6stopp Avatar
69gt6stopp Paul Stopp
Richmond, BC, Canada   CAN
Hey Randy,

What is the story behind your custom hood badge?

Regards,
Paul

69gt6stopp Avatar
69gt6stopp Paul Stopp
Richmond, BC, Canada   CAN
Well since the success of my hood gas struts, I decided to buy another pair, (surplus clearance Princess Auto $4.99 each), to do the trunk lid. I think it will only require one gas strut to keep open the trunk lid even with the extra weight of the luggage rack. The other strut I shall keep as a spare, as between the MGA & my GT6, I will have used 5 of these same gas struts.
I will post the pictures of the install when I am finished building the brackets for the attachments, out of more off cut alum. flat and angle.
Regards,
Paul

RJBrown Avatar
RJBrown Randy Brown
In reply to # 3889102 by 69gt6stopp Hey Randy,

What is the story behind your custom hood badge?

Regards,
Paul

The car has a RX7 engine. The grill badge uses the center out of a RX3 station wagon grill. I trimmed it and painted it to match. When the car was first finished it was the only outward appearance of the underhood change.

Attachments:
16DB1E61-2F4E-4FC9-AEE4-F4B1E3DE6B97.jpeg    31.3 KB
16DB1E61-2F4E-4FC9-AEE4-F4B1E3DE6B97.jpeg

MGAdavid Avatar
MGAdavid David Werblow
Portland, CT, USA   USA
1954 MG TF
1959 MG MGA
A fan shroud may not help at anything over a fast idle. I took my off long time ago..

To add your reply, or post your own questions

Registration is FREE and takes less than a minute!

Having trouble posting or changing forum settings?
Read the Forum Help (FAQ) or contact the webmaster