Moss Motors
AutoShrine Sponsor
AutoShrine Sponsor
AutoShrine Sponsor
AutoShrine Sponsor

1964speedster brian p
Plymouth, Devon, UK   GBR
1960 MG MGA
Found this method shown in the Anglo Parts Catalogue, which is probably what you were thinking about. I bought new beading from supplier here in the UK but was not happy with the profile so managed to refit my old beading.
Car looking great
Brian

. Hide banner ads & support this website by becoming a > Gold Supporting Member <

Attachments:
Wing bead fixing.JPG    53.6 KB
Wing bead fixing.JPG

mga160049707 Avatar
mga160049707 Mick Grochowski
Norfolk, VA, USA   USA
1961 MG MGA 1600 "The MG"
Fabricating brackets to attach the body to rotisserie.

59mgaguy Avatar
59mgaguy John Terschak
Wakeman, OH, USA   USA
1930 Ford Model A "Jenny"
1959 MG 14/28 "Jessie"
1974 MG MGB "Oooops"
In reply to # 3886486 by mga160049707 Fabricating brackets to attach the body to rotisserie.

Yup that's it. But I'm use to pre 30's. First time I saw a how to do on fender webing on a MG. Nice find.

John

. Hide banner ads & support this website by becoming a > Gold Supporting Member <
blue64 Avatar
blue64 Paul Hanley
Eastern Chesapeake Bay, MD, USA   USA
Started engine to warm up. Did a Complete Lubrication...changed engine oil and filter...topped up lever shocks, oiled all hinges...changed rear end oil with 90wt. Greased front end, driveshaft and handbrake cable. Checked gearbox oil and topped up. Replaced wheel and tires and lowered to the floor. Cleaned garage and put away all tools in preparation for brake caliper rebuild from Whitepost. All this with garage doors open on a 60 degree, February day!

Redhawk1689 Avatar
Redhawk1689 Gold Member Steven Stockham
Salina, KS, USA   USA
1958 MG MGA 1500 "Belle"
Ye Gads!! All this activity is making me look bad! (I guess the only thing to do is to crawl back in bed and pull the covers up!) Oh yeah, it's about 13° F outside right now...

nashvillebill Gold Member Bill Murrin
Nashville, TN, USA   USA
I wish I had a good excuse like that; it's in the 70's in Nashville this week.

Bill

rockhigher Avatar
rockhigher Geoff B
Atkinson, NH, USA   USA
1956 MG MGA
1984 Chevrolet Corvette "Goldilocks"
Finally driver's side fenders ready for final primer coats, whew...remainder of body should be set tomorrow. I do however have to fit, lightly sand and prime new valance as well. I decided to go the route of MGAGuru and buy fiberglass valance, great looking piece however it comes with no holes. I traced holes from previous valance however can't seem to come close to fitting the piece onto the bumper mounts. Does anyone know what the correct dimensions are for the holes, I may have mine a bit undersize but even with that, is there magic to somehow bending and getting this thing on ? Am scared to death of cracking the valance....

Cheers

"may the Bud Knight's legacy live on..."

Dilly Dilly !!

Geoff

PS: and how about those Patriots smiling smiley

69gt6stopp Avatar
69gt6stopp Paul Stopp
Richmond, BC, Canada   CAN
Hey Geoff,

Grube should be able to help you out, as he has just cut holes in his. I assume he's already tried dry fitting it. Anyway he has two done, I believe one came with holes already cut. Mind you it is such an awkward shape, I would think it would be quite difficult to measure with any accuracy.

Why don't you try putting some modelling clay or silly putty or such like on the inside of the valance and offered up into the position and have the horns push into the clay. This should work to start off by drilling smaller holes first, then centre better and bigger with a step drill to open it out. I assume you intend to mount overriders to them after, if so then a larger hole should not matter as you can use the bumper grommets after to finish. You could also try lipstick on the end of the horns to mark the inside, (don't use your best colour) ha ha!
Good luck,
Regards,
Paul

69gt6stopp Avatar
69gt6stopp Paul Stopp
I replaced all my perished and split plinth and tail light gaskets today, very happy with the finished look, purchased from Cecelia's, thank you.
One strange thing was the PO must have converted the lamp holders to a socket style. They work but one of the attachment screws are almost covered by the lamp holders socket so difficult to reach.
The spring inside that tensions the bulb has a piece of curled paper to insulate it from touching the two wire contacts, this paper had crumbled so I replaced them with a small plastic sleeve. I learnt the hard way that this sleeve cannot be too long otherwise it does not allow the inside to compress enough to seat the bulb. I know in other applications this type of closed wired socket is quite common, and superior I feel to the standard bulb holding method. So if anyone else needs to replace their crumbling piece of paper you need to thread the insulator over the two wires and to fit inside the spring, 1/4" I.D. x 3/8" O.D. x 1/4" long should work.
Regards,
Paul

rockhigher Avatar
rockhigher Geoff B
Atkinson, NH, USA   USA
1956 MG MGA
Thanks Paul,

I already managed to drill the holes and they appear to be in the right position, just can't bend the damn thing enough to get the outer holes over the extensions, I did read on Barney's site that it may be easier to remove the extensions, mount the center brackets and then install outside brackets later with bumper ass'y. As always , sounds easy, appears to be only one bolt holding bracket on but I am sure as the day is long I will most likely break yet another rusted bolt getting that off lol......glad I have propane, this may need some heat lol.....

Cheers and Dilly Dilly !!

Geoff

RJBrown Avatar
RJBrown Randy Brown
Queen Creek, AZ, USA   USA
The bumper brackets (#4 in this picture) are installed after the valance. They are held on by 3 bolts. They are to be installed when the bumpers and bracket assembly is installed.
The picture source is: https://mossmotors.com/mga/chassis-frame/chassis-1

Attachments:
A41C1CE4-CD43-4A78-ABE6-A7BC107EFE84.jpg    28.3 KB
A41C1CE4-CD43-4A78-ABE6-A7BC107EFE84.jpg

rockhigher Avatar
rockhigher Geoff B
Atkinson, NH, USA   USA
1956 MG MGA
Thanks Randy,

Yup, that's my plan now, remove the brackets, fit valance ( pray to God I have the holes correct, I know the middle 3 look good lol ), then prime and paint valance and re-install with bumper after body is repainted, whew.....now comes the hard part...getting the rusted solid bolts off the damn bracket.....suspect several days of PB Blaster then bring on the heat , lol....hopefully not grinding and drill more bolts out, so tired of that game...…

Cheers and Dilly Dilly

Geoff

RJBrown Avatar
RJBrown Randy Brown
Queen Creek, AZ, USA   USA
All three are nuts and bolts. If they are so rusty that it is an issue simply cut them off and replace with new. An angle grinder or nut splitter on the back side would be quick and easy.

69gt6stopp Avatar
69gt6stopp Paul Stopp
Hi Geoff,

Not sure if you have cut your main opening in you valance yet, but thinking about a finishing trim for the opening. Why not try the air intake grille from an MGB, sort of keeping it in the family like.
Don't have a picture for you of one fitted but these grilles are very plentiful on Ebay.

Regards,
Paul

Attachments:
s-l500.jpg    20.3 KB
s-l500.jpg

69gt6stopp Avatar
69gt6stopp Paul Stopp
Or what about a couple of these, originally for a handbrake gaiter trim, but would work as well with the mesh insert.
Regards,
Paul

Attachments:
LOK-70-SHR_xl.jpg    72.5 KB
LOK-70-SHR_xl.jpg

To add your reply, or post your own questions

Registration is FREE and takes less than a minute!

Having trouble posting or changing forum settings?
Read the Forum Help (FAQ) or contact the webmaster