AutoShrine Sponsor
AutoShrine Sponsor

59mgaguy Avatar
59mgaguy John Terschak
Wakeman, OH, USA   USA
1930 Ford Model A "Jenny"
1959 MG 14/28 "Jessie"
1974 MG MGB "Oooops"
In reply to # 3889597 by MGAdavid A fan shroud may not help at anything over a fast idle. I took my off long time ago..

All MGAs have a built in fan shroud installed from the factory. What your talking about is the after market shroud that surrounds the whole fan.

John

. Hide banner ads & support this website by becoming a > Gold Supporting Member <
Badbob Avatar
Badbob Gold Member Robert Kuhn
Boise, ID, USA   USA
1957 MG MGA
1958 MG MGA
Paid the hot rod body shop for bending metal to get it to primer... And this is a car with only 30,000 miles on it and looked straight as an arrow until you took the paint off, and yes maybe a little overboard taking out the factory waves in the fenders and body from the stamping process at the factory but what the heck have to do it right right?

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 2019-02-11 10:58 PM by Badbob.

Attachments:
Capture.JPG    39.6 KB
Capture.JPG

59mgaguy Avatar
59mgaguy John Terschak
Wakeman, OH, USA   USA
1930 Ford Model A "Jenny"
1959 MG 14/28 "Jessie"
1974 MG MGB "Oooops"
Bob,

Please keep your paid bill for future posts on cost of body and paint question. It will come up in the future. I see that labor ran around $50 per hour. This amount depends on the body shop and location. Labor is around $45 around me. And close to $100 per hour on some of the body shops down on the Outer Banks where I use to live.

Two questions I would like to ask is: 1. How long did it take for them to take the car in their shop?
2. How long was the car in the shop being worked on till finished?

John

. Hide banner ads & support this website by becoming a > Gold Supporting Member <
Badbob Avatar
Boise, ID, USA   USA
1957 MG MGA
1958 MG MGA
John, on your questions: 1. How long did it take for them to take the car in their shop? I dropped everything but the body off first the week in November. He started sending me pictures of the sandblasting a week later. Then over Christmas / New Years there was not much done on it. After the holiday he and his assistant went to work on it again and I dropped the body off. This is a two person shop that does primarily hot rods, high end car dent repair and specialize in working with old metal. Pretty much all but three body shops (that I have found or were told about) here in Boise will not touch old metal. They are plastic part changers now and that is where the insurance money is so I get it. Other cars in the shop were 40s and 50s hot rods for show, of note he was grinding down, filling and polishing the frame for one to do a hi end gloss paint on it, pretty amazing and probably costs three times what my job will end up at.

2. How long was the car in the shop being worked on till finished? He could probably shoot it next week, but I said no hurry as I am doing the frame, wiring and engine in my garage and I am not even close.. The paint, "64-75 Jaguar British Racing Green", is $500 a gallon and it will take 2 plus additives, so the whole job will probably be around $10,500 and as mentioned, this was a very very straight car, minimal rust and was a true one owner. The original color was white with a black interior but we decided on doing a honey tan interior with black carpet and the BRG paint.

Edited 3 time(s). Last edit at 2019-02-12 03:16 PM by Badbob.

rockhigher Avatar
rockhigher Geoff B
Atkinson, NH, USA   USA
1956 MG MGA
1984 Chevrolet Corvette "Goldilocks"
Ok, so just to make sure I understand so far....to sandblast, remove old rockers and install new ones, then fill, sand to insure all body parts are straight and flat, apply primer so all is ready for final paint....$8,000.00 ?

I find it a little hard to believe 4-1/2 gallons of primer...so far in doing mine, with all fenders, doors, bonnet and boot lid removed, I've used just over a gallon primer so far and will most likely use maybe 1-1/2 gallons total ( not counting frame ). For my color will use close to a gallon or slightly over all said and done and a gallon of clear...or thereabouts

In the whole scheme of things, so glad I am doing the work myself, otherwise I know I couldn't afford it …..spinning smiley sticking its tongue out although making good use of acquired skills from auto body and paint courses ( 2 semesters ) I took at local Vo-Tech school ( got senior discount only $125.00 per semester and local auto body supply store offered student discounts as well )

Cheers,

Geoff

Attachments:
20180125_192924.jpg    20.5 KB
20180125_192924.jpg

20180125_201611.jpg    23.6 KB
Sign In or Register to view this photo
20180125_205538.jpg    25.9 KB
20180818_185039.jpg    37.5 KB
Badbob Avatar
Boise, ID, USA   USA
1957 MG MGA
1958 MG MGA
Yup I questioned the primer myself until I spent a day there.. shoot dry sand , repeat, repeat etc.etc. etc... Good for you using your training on the car, looking good!

brucemann Avatar
brucemann Silver Member Bruce Mann
White Lake, MI, USA   USA
1952 MG TD "Little Black"
1960 MG MGA 1600 "Little Red"
1962 MG MGA MkII
Base, Clear sounds about right for the total job. Finish Coat Paint right at $500 or more per gallon, I painted mine 1957 corvette cascade green with base clear, and 4k heavy build primer and the cost was very similar to what you are quoting. Primer seems excessive but could be. The material costs for an MGA with finish coat at around $500 per gallon in michigan will be about all in $2000.00

Bruce Mann

Attachments:
Body in Paint Front End Jan 2018.JPG    28.1 KB
Body in Paint Front End Jan 2018.JPG

Body in Paint in Garage with Brite Work Jan 2018.JPG    26.3 KB
Badbob Avatar
Boise, ID, USA   USA
1957 MG MGA
1958 MG MGA
That is an absolute stunning finish and color. When you get done please send a photo?

Woodysrods Avatar
Woodysrods Silver Member Brian Woods
Westbank B.C., Canada   CAN
I too own a Street Rod Shop (25 years in Business, and 51 years experience building cars)
The numbers and process posted look spot on!
Most people don't understand how many times each piece must be touched prior to pulling the
trigger to get the cooler on.
Paint hides nothing!
And with the high cost of materials these day, body and paint is no longer a cheap phase of any
restoration.
Getting ready to enter that phase of my MGA project.....as soon as I get the 58 Suburban out
of the shop, that cam in 1 1/2 weeks ago for body, primer, and prep for paint. Three week project.
Brian

1954 MGTF 1800
1962 MGA MKII

TexasMGB Avatar
TexasMGB Platinum Member David Renner
Houston, TX, USA   USA
1959 MG MGA "Peabody"
Got the MGA out today on a cool bright morning and drove it to the dentist. Got there with a huge smile on my face. Much easier to get my teeth cleaned. Another advantage to having such a fun car.

Attachments:
Peaboy portrait.jpg    79.7 KB
Peaboy portrait.jpg

Badbob Avatar
Boise, ID, USA   USA
1957 MG MGA
1958 MG MGA
Thanks for affirmation, I'm really happy with Tony and just keep telling myself it is only money it is only money and only then will I have a beautiful MGA!

And thank you for doing the work you do, automobile restoration is difficult for us wrench turners, paint and body is far harder as you say paint hides nothing, great mantra.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2019-02-13 06:16 PM by Badbob.

rockhigher Avatar
rockhigher Geoff B
Atkinson, NH, USA   USA
1956 MG MGA
1984 Chevrolet Corvette "Goldilocks"
Ok, so managed to get front outer bumper brackets off.....oh my friggin word !...Yup every bit as bad as I figured, soaked and soaked rusted bolts for a couple days with PB blaster, nothing. Fired up butane torch and cranked the heat on the nuts...….nothing, got about 1/4 turn until they cooled and then they stopped again. Broke 2 of them off, managed to remove one of them, cut the remainder off with Sawz-All ( somehow I still use this as last resort don't think it should be in restoration box of tools lol ). Horns....??? Horns....??? no one mentioned the friggin horns bolted on the bumper brackets.....???, spinning smiley sticking its tongue out had to fight them off as well and one ( larger of the 2, wasn't even connected and had a huge hole in the top of it, inside was a rusty mess, now trash bin..... smiling smiley Oh well its all good fun but this is the shite that makes me crazy, just want to start re-assembly lol...….

Cheers and Dilly Dilly smileys with beer

Geoff

Attachments:
outer bumper brackets horns.jpg    41.2 KB
outer bumper brackets horns.jpg

RJBrown Avatar
RJBrown Randy Brown
Queen Creek, AZ, USA   USA
Don’t throw away the horns they are repairable and the domes are replaceable. Originals are different than new. If there are two they are different. One low tone and one high. 2 horns was an upgrade. I horn was stock.

3066james Avatar
3066james Gold Member Jim Cheatham
Amelia, VA, USA   USA
If one of your horns is bigger than the other, one of them is not an original MGA horn. The low note horn was the standard horn and has a raised letter “L” inside of the opening. Likewise, the optional high note horn has a raised letter “H” inside of the opening. The low and high note horns are the same size but have a different airways.

Here’s a picture from Barney’s site of a car with two MGA horns.

Jim

Attachments:
032B2EAE-47BA-4156-B3E2-748D9178663B.jpeg    38.3 KB
032B2EAE-47BA-4156-B3E2-748D9178663B.jpeg

Rdp03087 Avatar
Rdp03087 Bob P
Windham, NH, USA   USA
1960 MG MGA 1600 "My A"
1960 MG MGA 1600
OMG Geoff....you sure have hit evevery note!

Attachments:
96198066-94F6-4E58-A567-FDF8C51274DC.jpeg    61.8 KB
96198066-94F6-4E58-A567-FDF8C51274DC.jpeg

To add your reply, or post your own questions

Registration is FREE and takes less than a minute!

Having trouble posting or changing forum settings?
Read the Forum Help (FAQ) or contact the webmaster